Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Becoming TSA-Pre annoynted without even trying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis

Today I went to the airport in SLC and looked for the Skyriority line. A DL rep had a scanner at the beginning of the cues, scanned the BC and pointed people to the "Skypriority line" or the "TSA-Pre line". As she scanned my BC, I asked her "how do you become TSA-Pre accepted" and she said: "You are already TSA-pre accepted Sir" and pointed me to the TSA-Pre line. "Had to be a mistake" I thought as I never signed up, didn't even know how to do that. But sure enough the TSA ID checker pointed me to the TSA-Pre screen scanner, where there weren't even bins to put stuff in (just a a small bowl for the heavy metal). No belt off, no shoes off, no cumputer out, Jacket stayed on - through in no time flat somewhat bewildered as to how I had become TSA-pre annoynted without even trying?

And don't they say you have to be a US citizen to be in it - well not so, I have been a permanent resident for 25 years, but am not a citizen

Is a DM status at DL, 20 years+ of flying records and the secure data really enough? - must have been in my case. Anyone else who this has happened to?

Strange for sure!- but strangely nice!!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:38 pm

The crews in SLC are not the brightest bulbs in the batch. I went up to the pre-Check line and asked "Is this your pre-Check line?". The clerk said, "yes, sir" and pointed toward the empty express lane. I breezed through, doing nothing more than take my phone off my hip. Shoes on, jacket on, laptop in, coke (the soda, not the other stuff) in bag. I barely slowed down. ^

Apparently all you have to do is ask nicely, which is fine since we all know that terwrowrists don't ask nicely.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
Today I went to the airport in SLC and looked for the Skyriority line. A DL rep had a scanner at the beginning of the cues, scanned the BC and pointed people to the "Skypriority line" or the "TSA-Pre line". As she scanned my BC, I asked her "how do you become TSA-Pre accepted" and she said: "You are already TSA-pre accepted Sir" and pointed me to the TSA-Pre line. "Had to be a mistake" I thought as I never signed up, didn't even know how to do that. But sure enough the TSA ID checker pointed me to the TSA-Pre screen scanner, where there weren't even bins to put stuff in (just a a small bowl for the heavy metal). No belt off, no shoes off, no cumputer out, Jacket stayed on - through in no time flat somewhat bewildered as to how I had become TSA-pre annoynted without even trying?

And don't they say you have to be a US citizen to be in it - well not so, I have been a permanent resident for 25 years, but am not a citizen

Is a DM status at DL, 20 years+ of flying records and the secure data really enough? - must have been in my case. Anyone else who this has happened to?

You don't sign up for precheck. They select you. It's weird for sure. The closest thing you can do to signing up is to join GE or Nexus or fly a boatload of miles on Delta or AA (later to be other airlines). All this to get the same security that we enjoy in every other country outside the US.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
You don't sign up for precheck. They select you. It's weird for sure. The closest thing you can do to signing up is to join GE or Nexus or fly a boatload of miles on Delta or AA (later to be other airlines). All this to get the same security that we enjoy in every other country outside the US.
I have NEXUS! But, I fly out of BNA and usually on WN. There's no telling when I will get an invitation.

I am certain that I will like it. I am still uncertain if I want it.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
So how do they know if you're selected or not? Is there something that prints out on the BP? After all, we all know that nobody on the planet knows how to use Photoshop to edit boarding passes printed from home...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck

You don't have to be a US citizen to get into Pre-Check, although the majority of people in it are US citizens; most non-US persons will not qualify for Pre-Check under the current system implementation, but US permanent residents and some other foreign nationals do qualify in one of a few ways (primarily enrollment in US Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, or airline customer enrollment). Canadians, Mexicans and the Dutch also come to mind by some way when it comes to foreign citizens who are not US LPRs.

I am no fan of the TSA Pre-Check idiocy (of all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others) and think that free persons in general should be given the Pre-Check LLL treatment noted in the OP.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 10, 2012 at 3:10 am
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by clrankin
So how do they know if you're selected or not? Is there something that prints out on the BP? After all, we all know that nobody on the planet knows how to use Photoshop to edit boarding passes printed from home...
When they scan the boarding pass, the reader used by the TSA pops up with LLL, CLR or something like that as an indicator, whereby: LLL gets you the kind of treatment that was much like the norm before the TSA came into being; and CLR gets you the normal TSA antics applicable to the majority.

Photoshop editing of a boarding pass won't work by itself to get around this PreCheck idiocy but there are other things that will work to fake the process out.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 10, 2012 at 4:32 am
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When they scan the boarding pass, the reader used by the TSA pops up with LLL, CLR or something like that as an indicator, whereby: LLL gets you the kind of treatment that was much like the norm before the TSA came into being; and CLR gets you the normal TSA antics applicable to the majority.
Anybody know if you have to go through a body scanner if you are TSA-pre accepted, or do you get the old fashioned metal detector?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by finster869
Anybody know if you have to go through a body scanner if you are TSA-pre accepted, or do you get the old fashioned metal detector?
I not sure about all of them, but I believe that most participating airports only have WTMDs, rather than AIT, in their PreCheck lanes.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
I not sure about all of them, but I believe that most participating airports only have WTMDs, rather than AIT, in their PreCheck lanes.
Nope. As I found out, if your final destination is international you get the same old scope or grope.
Domestic and you're ok.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Nope. As I found out, if your final destination is international you get the same old scope or grope.
Domestic and you're ok.
I believe the poster was referring to the procedures faced if one receives LLL and can use the PreCheck lane. You seem to be discussing what occurs if you get CLR and are sent to regular screening.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ScatterX
The crews in SLC are not the brightest bulbs in the batch. I went up to the pre-Check line and asked "Is this your pre-Check line?". The clerk said, "yes, sir" and pointed toward the empty express lane. I breezed through, doing nothing more than take my phone off my hip. Shoes on, jacket on, laptop in, coke (the soda, not the other stuff) in bag. I barely slowed down. ^

Apparently all you have to do is ask nicely, which is fine since we all know that terwrowrists don't ask nicely.
Right, he have to ask politely. He have respect with TSA and don't try to arguing with the screener. Let's TSA doing their job. Then you can go through at security. He have listen with the screener.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:00 pm
zlc

When we came back from LAS a few weeks ago, I was told that I qualify for TSA-pre, and the kid (<12) can also go with me, but wife has to go through the x-ray line. I said if she has to go, then everyone will go through the same line, and preparing for the opt-out experience as I had numerous times last year.
Well, thanks to the kids, they unblocked the WTMD just for us.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I got sent through the TSA pre-check line, I think, because I am an AA elite and I was flying AA. I believe I was considered because I checked the box in my AA online account that asked if I wanted to join.

I have no idea what happens next, but I was sent through the TSA precheck line. Ironically, on the same day I was rejected for Global Entry (long story, but CBP seems to think it is a mistake too).

I fly again on Friday out of ORD, so we'll see what happens.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
I believe the poster was referring to the procedures faced if one receives LLL and can use the PreCheck lane. You seem to be discussing what occurs if you get CLR and are sent to regular screening.
Nope. At DCA I went to the dedicated precheck lane and got through. Since my final destination was international I got the scope or grope. Same with several travelers behind me. We were all a bit perplexed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.