Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Discussion: Constitutionality of BOS (Logan) BDO program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Hi folks,
If I remember correctly today is the day that the new "interrogations" are supposed to start at BOS. Done by BDOs with "college degrees" of course.

I am wondering if perhaps we can have a thread where people can post either their experiences or what they saw occurring at BOS.

I, for one, have no intention of answering any of these questions. If this means a grope or bag search then so be it. This entire charade has gotten completely out of hand. It is way past time for lawmakers to step in with some serious legislation regarding what these people can and cannot do at airports.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:25 pm

I am interested in knowing if when they ask questions, are any of the responses being recorded.
If so, in what manner?
Video, audio, ipad/tablet, filling in what appears to be an official form, piece of paper or whatever else is observed?

Maybe not limit this just to BOS or start a new BDO thread...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
I'm flying into BOS from another airport within the US, and then flying TATL out of BOS. Do you guys know if I'll encounter these new TSA procedures in BOS, or no because I'm flying international?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by G_Wolf
I'm flying into BOS from another airport within the US, and then flying TATL out of BOS. Do you guys know if I'll encounter these new TSA procedures in BOS, or no because I'm flying international?
boston has 7 different secure areas. if you're arriving and departing on delta on a connection, you will not need to reclear security. otherwise, you're probably going to be changing terminals -- i believe all other transatlantic flights depart from terminal E, which is international and southwest.

if the new procedures are limited to terminal A as stated in the article, you would only see them if you're on a delta transatlantic, and not connecting in on delta, continental, or alaska.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass, Hilton Silver, IHG Priority Club Gold
Flew out the first day of the changes

I flew out of BOS on the first day of the changes. Since I had been there for 4 days I was aware of the changes and trying to be aware of what was going on more than normal. The only change I noticed was the person checking the boarding pass/ID made some small talk about where I was from. It was almost joking and very non-invasive. I almost felt like I wasn't on the East coast!!! Nothing else was different.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Bennie Thompson of Mississippi (Chairman of the Fatherland Security committee, with Peter King - Ranking member, no less) wrote this nastygram to Pistole on 8/15 saying, essentially that the BDO SPOT program, and the Boston cr@p is junk science of no value, and he is pi$$ed that Pi$$tole hasn't responded to him on his June letter. It's going to be getting hotter at TSA.

Serious Concerns about SPOT

Let's all do our part to keep the fires raging.^
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlsimp2
I flew out of BOS on the first day of the changes. Since I had been there for 4 days I was aware of the changes and trying to be aware of what was going on more than normal. The only change I noticed was the person checking the boarding pass/ID made some small talk about where I was from. It was almost joking and very non-invasive. I almost felt like I wasn't on the East coast!!! Nothing else was different.
That might not have been part of the new program.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Wimpie
Bennie Thompson of Mississippi (Chairman of the Fatherland Security committee, with Peter King - Ranking member, no less) wrote this nastygram to Pistole on 8/15 saying, essentially that the BDO SPOT program, and the Boston cr@p is junk science of no value, and he is pi$$ed that Pi$$tole hasn't responded to him on his June letter. It's going to be getting hotter at TSA.

Since it's been nearly two months since that letter and TSA is INCREASING the BDO voodoo, I think we can guess the reply Rep Thompson received. It went something like this:
-----------
Dear Bennie,

I don't need to do all that stuff you listed; I believe that the BDO program works and that's what's important. Not even Congress can stop us now! Bwaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaaa !

Sincerely,
John
-------

Ah, you linked to the June letter; the August one is here: http://chsdemocrats.house.gov/SiteDo...1527-35715.pdf ^
Old Aug 16, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Let's see.
  1. Program is initiated without thorough scientific testing.
  2. Program is initiated without risk assessment.
  3. There was no cost-benefit analysis.
  4. It may involve racial profiling.
  5. Mr. Pistole is stonewalling Congress (apparently).

Should be nationwide by January if history can be a guide.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Since it's been nearly two months since that letter and TSA is INCREASING the BDO voodoo, I think we can guess the reply Rep Thompson received. It went something like this:
-----------
Dear Bennie,

I don't need to do all that stuff you listed; I believe that the BDO program works and that's what's important. Not even Congress can stop us now! Bwaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaaa !

Sincerely,
John
-------

Ah, you linked to the June letter; the August one is here: http://chsdemocrats.house.gov/SiteDo...1527-35715.pdf ^
And mere citizens wonder just why they can't get complaints answered by TSA.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
Originally Posted by Seat1A
boston has 7 different secure areas. if you're arriving and departing on delta on a connection, you will not need to reclear security. otherwise, you're probably going to be changing terminals -- i believe all other transatlantic flights depart from terminal E, which is international and southwest.

if the new procedures are limited to terminal A as stated in the article, you would only see them if you're on a delta transatlantic, and not connecting in on delta, continental, or alaska.
I am on DL, yes. From what I understand, I'll be coming into Terminal A, and then departing out of Terminal A as well. However, on the return flight, I'll be coming into Terminal E, and then my connecting flight will be out of Terminal A. So, I think I'll be encountering them on the return flight, no?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Wimpie

That link's the June letter. Where's this Aug. 15th nastygram ?

Doesn't really matter - as others have posted Pistole will continue to blow him (and everyone else) off.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Heading through term A in a couple hours. I'll report back.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
So NPR does a pretty pro-TSA story today on the Boston interrogations (link, while at the same time it does a story that's tilted against BART in the cellphone/free speech controversy.

The TSA story includes this gem:
The TSA's George Nacarra says officers who've been doing this sporadically have already proven themselves, by rooting out untold drug smugglers and fugitives, for example
So apparently it's OK in NPRs mind to do everything possible to stop "illegal activity" when it relates to airports, but it's NOT OK to shut off cellphone service in BART to prevent a demonstration. Juxtaposition those two and try to figure out where NPR stands on Constitutional rights.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
So NPR does a pretty pro-TSA story today on the Boston interrogations (link, while at the same time it does a story that's tilted against BART in the cellphone/free speech controversy.

The TSA story includes this gem:

So apparently it's OK in NPRs mind to do everything possible to stop "illegal activity" when it relates to airports, but it's NOT OK to shut off cellphone service in BART to prevent a demonstration. Juxtaposition those two and try to figure out where NPR stands on Constitutional rights.
Bolding Mine: IMHO right in the big fat middle of a huge cluster f**k! ...or would that be circle j**k?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.