Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
I was under the impression that TSA regulations clearly state that medical supplies (such as insulin) and stuff to keep medical supplies cool shall be allowed through. This is yet another incident where TSA screeners (a) violate their own regulations; (b) claim the regulations don't apply; (c) claim the regulations are out of date. {Pick one or more.}

I hope the people in the article file complaints with DHS OIG, the Congressional oversight committees, etc.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
If the insulin was actually taken without notice, this violates TSA proceedure, which does not allow confiscation, only "voluntary" surrender of items. It is also theft.
It's also a lot of other things in my opinion - not that it means much to anyone beside me.

At a minimum, seems a small claims court action to be reimbursed for the costs that were associated with the confiscation is easily justifiable. Even the larger civil suit for emotional distress seems warranted - how long did she go before she was able to obtain more insulin to make her feel less stressed and secure? [It's unclear when she found the small amount in the lunch box, but even then, that's only a partial relief as she would still need to worry about obtaining more before she needs it.]
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a TSA employee deprived a person of needed medicines that should result in the harshest criminal charges possible. Then the attorney should also ask for charges against every supervisor in the persons chain of command up to and including Pistole to demonstrate poor management and training of TSA employees.

I maintain that TSA presents a greater threat to the public than current terrorist threats.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:20 am

I love how the TSA is framing this as a customer who is just a little dissatisfied with her screening experience, rather than a pregnant woman whose life was endangered by the TSA. Classic.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's something wrong with this story.

I don't possibly see how they would have taken the insulin and the ice packs without telling her, and I don't understand how she would not check her lunch box (which would have weighed half what it did when she put it down if they took the ice packs) before leaving the area to make sure everything was in it.

Granted, she should have removed it and declared it and all that too.

It sounds to me like they removed stuff to check the lunch box and just didn't put it all back and the woman was not watching them, and did not check her bag. I also don't believe that there was a discussion about stuff being a risk for explosives, and her not checking the second she got her bag to make sure everything was back in it.

I'd really hope they release the tapes on this one to clear it up one way or the other.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Ahem... Just to balance your comment a tad? At the airport security checkpoint we are all judged guility by thugs who are judge, jury and executioners with no oversight on their actions.
Good point, but I would also like to point out that when they make that judgement against us, we have done NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong! (...except purchase a plane ticket, of course. )
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
I love how the TSA is framing this as a customer who is just a little dissatisfied with her screening experience, rather than a pregnant woman whose life was endangered by the TSA. Classic.
Two lives were endangered by this stupidium leak of Biblical proportions.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
It sounds to me like they removed stuff to check the lunch box and just didn't put it all back and the woman was not watching them, and did not check her bag. I also don't believe that there was a discussion about stuff being a risk for explosives, and her not checking the second she got her bag to make sure everything was back in it.
I hope that's the case and that the TSA didn't purposely confiscate the insulin. Although if the TSA is going to search a bag, they should put everything back in it. I never declare my insulin and have never had a problem with it, but I don't take ice packs and just use an insulated pouch.

I have enough to worry about when travelling. I really don't want to worry about if my insulin is going to be confiscated or misplaced by the TSA.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flapping arms
I was under the impression that TSA regulations clearly state that medical supplies (such as insulin) and stuff to keep medical supplies cool shall be allowed through. This is yet another incident where TSA screeners (a) violate their own regulations; (b) claim the regulations don't apply; (c) claim the regulations are out of date. {Pick one or more.}

I hope the people in the article file complaints with DHS OIG, the Congressional oversight committees, etc.
It's cute that you think there's any relationship between the TSA's rules/regulations and the individual actions of the clerks at the checkpoint.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:50 am

Even if it were some sort of error, common sense would dictate that you handle pregnant women and insulin with a bit more caution than a romance novel and some Cheetos.

I don't recheck my bag when I've been standing right there during the search. Probably should....
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If a TSA employee deprived a person of needed medicines that should result in the harshest criminal charges possible. Then the attorney should also ask for charges against every supervisor in the persons chain of command up to and including Pistole to demonstrate poor management and training of TSA employees.
Agree. Insulin is a medication. Some types are even by prescription-only. This should be pursued and penalized to the highest extent possible.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Hypothetical situation: What if a passenger was traveling with a prescription such as liquid morphine and a TSO decided to "require the voluntary surrender" of it. Could you then have the TSO arrested for being in possession of a controlled substance?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

I maintain that TSA presents a greater threat to the public than current terrorist threats.
Ditto this. Fully prosecuted, and then civilly sued.

I'd show no quarter.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Even if it were some sort of error, common sense would dictate that you handle pregnant women and insulin with a bit more caution than a romance novel and some Cheetos.

I don't recheck my bag when I've been standing right there during the search. Probably should....
I have $15K in tools in my carry on. It is always checked before I leave the shiny table.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by tev9999
Hypothetical situation: What if a passenger was traveling with a prescription such as liquid morphine and a TSO decided to "require the voluntary surrender" of it. Could you then have the TSO arrested for being in possession of a controlled substance?
Not sure how "you" could. The crime committed against you might be theft, butas we all know, if the screener wants your pasta, hummus, water bottle, sunscreen, pie or injectable drugs...they are never stolen from you; you gift them to your screener.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.