Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Is it possible to get a word copy of the flyer? I'd like to edit it a little to make it geared toward airline employees as lately these machines and the new pat downs have been a very popular topic in the break rooms with many not liking either. The ones that are indifferent don't seem to understand what the machines really do.
This is an excellent idea! All my copies are from PDFs, but I'm sure we can get you a Word doc. ^
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by N965VJ
This is an excellent idea! All my copies are from PDFs, but I'm sure we can get you a Word doc. ^
Thanks, that would be great!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:29 pm

Thumbs down To all TSA supporters...

With apologies to Martin Niemoller:

They came for my shoes, and I did not speak out for I had on socks.

They came for my water, and I did not speak out, for I had a nalgene bottle.

They came for my dignity, and I had no respect to give.

Call it an Act of Godwin () but we are rapidly approaching a point of wearing thongs & flip-flops to fly and it being standard (and "TSA Approved"!) attire.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Cityboi
I find it very hard to believe so many of you have forgotten the horrors of Sept 11. For me, do everything and anything that is necessary to prevent that from ever happening again.

But yet, here you are complaining of a security scan that doesn't even have enough detail to warrant anyone's concern. Get a grip people, don't let Sept 11 happen again.
Everything in life is a risk. I refuse to substantially alter my life under the mistaken illusion that I can somehow become immune to such attacks. Most of what the TSA does is for show -- to make people feel safer without actually being safer -- not fr actual efficacy.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Having been groped couple of times in ATL and DEN, I must admit I was close to tears after the humiliating episodes. I seriously considered if it was worth it to continue to fly to earn a living.

The other day when my mother was pushed towards a nude-o-scope, I marched up to the TSA personnel and indicated she will not do anything of that sort and will be padded down. My mother was confused about the push towards the nude-o-scope and I had to explain to her what the rules were.

Wonder how many are out there who are unaware of the rules.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bfetch
With apologies to Martin Niemoller:

They came for my shoes, and I did not speak out for I had on socks.

They came for my water, and I did not speak out, for I had a nalgene bottle.

They came for my dignity, and I had no respect to give.

Call it an Act of Godwin () but we are rapidly approaching a point of wearing thongs & flip-flops to fly and it being standard (and "TSA Approved"!) attire.
This is the Post of the Year, as far as I'm concerned. ^^^
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:01 pm

Has this story been covered yet?

I think I know TSA's mission. It's to destroy the airline industry. I bet they're secretly funded by terrirsts.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by JakiChan
Yep, a thread is brewing on that one.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Having been groped couple of times in ATL and DEN, I must admit I was close to tears after the humiliating episodes. I seriously considered if it was worth it to continue to fly to earn a living.

The other day when my mother was pushed towards a nude-o-scope, I marched up to the TSA personnel and indicated she will not do anything of that sort and will be padded down. My mother was confused about the push towards the nude-o-scope and I had to explain to her what the rules were.

Wonder how many are out there who are unaware of the rules.
I would venture well of 50%.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JakiChan

I think I know TSA's mission. It's to destroy the airline industry. I bet they're secretly funded by terrirsts.
I honestly think your wrong.

TSA's mission seems to be one of destroying the United States as our founders created it.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:52 pm

Opt Out Day: Saying no to naked airport scans

Brian Sodegren - what's your FT handle?

Opt Out Day: Saying no to naked airport scans

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz151bDHdtN

Many travelers who pass through the nation's overcrowded airports as the holiday season begins are going to be subjected to a new kind of security procedure. They'll be asked to walk into a machine that will allow a Transportation Security Administration employee to see what they look like naked.

The idea, say TSA officials, is to look for hidden weapons or explosives. But the promoter of National Opt Out Day says it's just "security theater," and he's urging a rebellion.

At OptOutDay.com, the site operator ( identified as Brian Sodegren) writes about the choice travelers have when confronted with a full-body scan: Either consent to being seen naked by a TSA worker in a nearby room, or having a thorough pat-down in which genital areas are probed.

.... I did not post the entire article, go to the link above....
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by doober
I feel sorry for you and the deep seated fear that you harbor. Find something useful to do with you time.
You tell 'em, doober! Shut down any alternative point if view; such things are not accepted on this site
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SATTSO
You tell 'em, doober! Shut down any alternative point if view; such things are not accepted on this site
Wow, I certainly am powerful, aren't I? Actually, I think it was VH-RMD who made this person look completely foolish and for that I thank him/her.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Wow, I certainly am powerful, aren't I? Actually, I think it was VH-RMD who made this person look completely foolish and for that I thank him/her.
Yes, foolish to have a different point if view that those on this site.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Yes, foolish to have a different point if view that those on this site.
Second time you've written "point if view....."

You're sounding very defensive again. I wonder what is causing that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.