Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by doober
As I suggested to another poster, file a copy of what you wrote with the ACLU and EPIC. Links in my signature. Also write to your congresspeople - the more letters they get, the sooner they will begin to listen.
I want to thank you for providing the links (ACLU and EPIC) for documenting mistreatment of passengers. I have not flown recently, so have not yet had the risk of getting mistreatment. I feel stressed out about the possibility of getting the enhanced pat-down due to the increasing number of descriptions I have read of it. I don't want to get X-rayed either - but the possible molestation involved with the enhanced pat-down is potentially more damaging in my view. I hope everyone writes to their congressperson and senators to raise objections.

to contact your representative: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
to contact your senator: http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
aarrgh Looks like BUF has now got nude-o-scopes sometime in the last month. Amazing how many sheeple just take it and say nothing.

I said no, and was directed to the regular line, but was told, that soon they will be "permanent"
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by rsh913
Opted out at IND on Sunday night. Every one was going through the nude-o-scope. I said I was opting out.
They immediately said why and why are you worried about something that gives less radiation than a cell phone.
I basically said politely that it is because I went to school for 18+ yrs and have a MD after my name that I don't want to argue with your logic.

Did get a very agressive pat down. Guy was basically hitting my scrotum quite hard (they do it 4 times) and I said you need to be careful here. He gave me the DY...T routine and I said thank you and walked off my pain.

I wonder if it is worth flying any more now.
I would have ended the pat down at that point and asked for a supervisor
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by rsh913
Opted out at IND on Sunday night. Every one was going through the nude-o-scope. I said I was opting out.
They immediately said why and why are you worried about something that gives less radiation than a cell phone.
I basically said politely that it is because I went to school for 18+ yrs and have a MD after my name that I don't want to argue with your logic.

Did get a very agressive pat down. Guy was basically hitting my scrotum quite hard (they do it 4 times) and I said you need to be careful here. He gave me the DY...T routine and I said thank you and walked off my pain.

I wonder if it is worth flying any more now.
I would strongly encourage you to lodge a complaint with the local police department and county attorney. Coming from an M.D. this would carry more weight than if from most of us.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I would strongly encourage you to lodge a complaint with the local police department and county attorney. Coming from an M.D. this would carry more weight than if from most of us.
I concur. As many, I have had enough of the b$.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
I concur. As many, I have had enough of the b$.
I have been doing some research over a couple of months with senators and congressmen. FOIA requests have turned up some very very disturbing data.

The number of complaints that most have received do not need a single hand to count! Are all the complainers on this site? I really don't think so. But apparently people are NOT writing complaints to our lawmakers to get anything done. This is terrible. Nothing will change if we don't get the complaints rolling in quantity.

Every single incident should be a complaint form to TSA (I'm not sure how helpful that will be), local media, national media, state and federal law makers. We have got to have large recognition of how bad this is.

If we don't get the negative out there, all of the sheeple that are just going along with it with grow and the people at large will be intimidated into believing no body really cares. I CARE!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
I am feeling real good about myself....I Just educated three people about "opting-out". They are all flying soon.
One of them said she flew last week from PHL and ORD..and she was not given an option to Opt-out....she assumed she had to go through the x-ray.

I am giving out the educational pamphlets from dontscan.me.

^^
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opted out twice in the last three weeks. Once the Nudo-O-Scope was not being used as primary, but was being filled as it became available. In DFW it appeared to be the primary screening mechanism. In both cases the WBI drivers were petulant about having to call for a male assist and attempted to convince me the devices were "harmless". I suggested that the go educate themselves. The male assists were pleasant and quick to deal with.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I noticed that you are an AA EXP and CO Platinum. Please also write to the CEOs of those airlines.

Originally Posted by denCSA
I've opted out multiple times previously, but it's just getting worse... Last Thursday flew out of FLL, and noticed they were 'randomly' doing the nude-o-scopes (FLL is backscatter), I was chosen of course (I look like a criminal extremist ) and opted out of-course.

As the TSO was groping me up he said he was going to stick his hands/fingers on the inside of my pants, and as he was doing so he was looking down inside my pants. I stopped his hands at that point and said 'hey buddy, eyes up here.' He of course gave the 'doing his job' spiel, brought over supervisor, and we went back to the private screening area for molestation time.

I asked for a comment card, supervisor asked what I didn't 'like' about the pat down, and I let him have it at that point:

I have NEVER been to prison, however I have seen the intake procedure when someone is hauled off to jail and it includes running hands inside the pants the way the TSA are doing. Now, in that case the person has been alleged to have done some impropriety or crime to cause the trip to jail. In my case, the TSA wants to strip me down and grope me up in the same manner as if I have done something wrong or committed a crime. That is not right on any level. Travelers are NOT CRIMINALS and the TSA needs to stop treating them as such. In the USA you are innocent until proven guilty, so unless I've been accused of a crime you have no justifiable reason to stick your hands down my pants. None, whatsoever!

He didn't like that comparison so much. The TSA is world-renowned for its consistent inconsistency, and now can add future pedophiles creator to its repertoire, congratulations.

Last edited by magic111; Dec 9, 2011 at 9:33 am Reason: quote edited to remove forum violation
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:22 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Is it possible to get a word copy of the flyer? I'd like to edit it a little to make it geared toward airline employees as lately these machines and the new pat downs have been a very popular topic in the break rooms with many not liking either. The ones that are indifferent don't seem to understand what the machines really do.

Last edited by awaflyboy; Nov 11, 2010 at 2:48 am Reason: grammar
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:58 pm

Opted out three times (pre-aggressive screen)

I fly once or twice a week on business and have opted out of the mm-wave three times (prior to the new "aggressive screen"). In one case they sent me to the WTMD, and in two other cases a got a very polite and professional back-of-the-hand patdown.

I am an engineer in the radio-frequency industry and refuse the mm-wave both for health reasons and on principle.

It's only a matter of time before I face the "aggressive" pat down, which I consider to be sexual assault. Not sure how I will handle it. I will certainly lodge a complaint, and will insist the pat down be done in public.

Sadly, I think this is a losing battle : in a couple of years the WTMD will be gone and you'll have no choice. I worry about my children, since i have to decide between exposing them to radiation or letting a total stranger feel their genitals (will choose the first, as it's the lesser evil).

Very, very disturbed at the direction this country is taking.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:01 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Welcome to Flyertalk, voxclamantes. ^
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
Welcome to Flyertalk, voxclamantes. ^
Thanks. It's actually the whole TSA scanner/screening thing that brought me here. This issue doesn't seem to register at all with non-flyers, so it's nice to see that I'm not alone
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:35 am

Programs: Air France
Had to endure a particulary unpleasant TSA at Liverpool airport last week.
After a very thorough pat down, he then used the thingy that smells for drugs,

Then asked me to remove shoes - OK no problem with that
But when he wanted my wallet - which I can say is very thin - bugger all in it!
To put through the x ray machine i began to get kinda fed up

I am 68 - white haired pensioner - do they really think smartly dressed old gits are going to blow up planes?

But why put a thin wallet thru the X ray - thats my question ??
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by voxclamantes
I worry about my children, since i have to decide between exposing them to radiation or letting a total stranger feel their genitals (will choose the first, as it's the lesser evil).

Very, very disturbed at the direction this country is taking.
The very reason we are in this mess in our country is that for far too long people have accepted the "lesser of two evils" option. Choosing the lesser evil is still an evil. Somehow, the average citizen has been brainwashed to think this choice is our only option. (How many times do we hear it during election season?)

Only when we stand up and say I will not accept either evil can we truly make a difference. I can, and will do my part to change the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.