Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use UR points USA-Japan [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I would use Virgin Atlantic to book flights on ANA. It's vastly less expensive in terms of points than UA. You do have to call in to do it.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...vs-points.html for more information. You can check availability by using United's website to search for award flights, you need to find business saver seats. Then call Virgin. Don't transfer points until Virgin confirms the flights you want are available.

Neil
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
That said, Singapore Airlines does fly nonstop between LA and Tokyo though, and is a UR transfer partner. So booking an award direct through them is also an option you could consider. You'd want to make sure there was award availability by searching direct on Singapore's own website first, and then as someone else mentioned, you'd be taking a risk because it takes a couple of days to transfer to Singapore -- but if you have some flexibility around your dates and can find multiple dates with availability, that could be an option. Singapore doesn't release a lot of award space, but if you have some flexibility and are booking far in advance, you might be able to find something.

One other idea ... depending what you are planning to do, Japan can be an expensive place to visit, and hotels in major cities are especially expensive. You might also consider paying cash for flights in economy and using your Chase points to transfer to Hyatt to redeem for hotels in Japan instead. The Park Hyatt Tokyo, Andaz Tokyo, and Hyatt Regency Kyoto are all very well-regarded and expensive hotel options that you could book using 20,000-30,000 Hyatt points (and thus UR points) per night, for example.
Singapore airlines award availability is always waitlisted everytime I search for it
good tip on the hotels, I'll look into it, thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
I would use Virgin Atlantic to book flights on ANA. It's vastly less expensive in terms of points than UA. You do have to call in to do it.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...vs-points.html for more information. You can check availability by using United's website to search for award flights, you need to find business saver seats. Then call Virgin. Don't transfer points until Virgin confirms the flights you want are available.

Neil
yeah... I personally prefer avoid calling in and doing everything online would be more convenient, but I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the tip!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Given how many miles you save booking this way, a phone call is worth the (minor) inconvenience.

Neil
Old May 1, 2017, 9:57 am

http://www.awardace.com/redemptions/c89d6c35cb/LAX-NRT

i find this website super useful...
Old May 1, 2017, 3:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

That site doesn't list Virgin Atlantic as an option, which is a shame because it's the best way to do this.

Neil
Old May 2, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What dates? This is a no brainer for UA but you are going to be a bit short as of today.

It's 130k/person for US - Japan on UA metal in J and 150k/person for US - Japan on *A metal in J.

Another option is to snag an SQ PE seat (they occasionally seem to go as low as $1200) and transfer to SQ and upgrade to J.

A final option is KE which is 125k/person for RT J during off-peak and 185k/person for RT J during peak.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:15 am

Best way to use 300K UR points to get from NYC or BOS to TYO?

I live roughly halfway between NYC & Boston and I'm looking to book two business class round trip tickets to Tokyo. Seems like my best option is to transfer to United and book that way, but even that has lots of options for partner airlines.

A non stop would be ideal but I'm tempted by the Air Canada flights on the 787. That means an economy flight to Toronto, but if that gets me a lie flight on a 787 the rest of the way, that might be the way to go.

Are there any other options I'm not thinking of here?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:54 am

What's United charging for round trip business class tickets to TYO? Like 160k?

You can look into transferring to Virgin Atlantic and booking on ANA for 95k round trip. The fees may be a bit higher than UA though.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by GiantCow
What's United charging for round trip business class tickets to TYO? Like 160k?

You can look into transferring to Virgin Atlantic and booking on ANA for 95k round trip. The fees may be a bit higher than UA though.
Depending on availability, I can get round trip on UA for 150k. Good note about Virgin Atlantic, I'll check that out ASAP!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:16 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by dfaiabohbir8
What is the best way to book travel on ANA with ultimate rewards points?
Remember, there's more to Japan than just Tokyo. I flew OZ in F from LA-ICN and business from ICN-KIX and it was a fantastic experience. This was right before the partner devaluation though so I got a lot better deal than we do today.

This could open up your options if you aren't set on heading to Tokyo at least right away.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:54 am

I have 170k Chase UR and have never booked an international trip with points, help.

My dream has always been to go to Japan with my girlfriend so I have been saving my Chase UR points. I now want to spend/book my 170k but I have never booked an international trip before with points. When I use the portal it says I can just book two round trip tickets on United for 120k points and use the rest for hotels. I also read that if I transfer the Chase points I may be able to book a round trip economy ticket on ANA for 50k points each? I'm a bit lost as to how to maximize my points and what to do with them to get to Japan from LAX. Please help.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cooler2442
... I may be able to book a round trip economy ticket on ANA....
This could be done by transferring to Virgin Atlantic (VS) or United (UA) or Singapore Airlines (SQ) and redeeming for flights operated by ANA (NH). Read this thread in the VS forum before doing anything:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...ub-points.html
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Booking on ANA via a transfer to Virgin Atlantic will save you a boatload of URs compared to either a redemption via United or a straight Chase booking.

If you go the Virgin Atlantic method and are willing to wait until you have 10k more UR points you will be able to fly in business from the west coast, and nothing says "I love you" like a lay-flat business class international flight. See my post over in the thread mentioned above for my experience doing so earlier this year.

Neil
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by missamo80
Booking on ANA via a transfer to Virgin Atlantic will save you a boatload of URs compared to either a redemption via United or a straight Chase booking.

If you go the Virgin Atlantic method and are willing to wait until you have 10k more UR points you will be able to fly in business from the west coast, and nothing says "I love you" like a lay-flat business class international flight. See my post over in the thread mentioned above for my experience doing so earlier this year.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.