Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign exchange rates discussion [FOREX]--all cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AGR S+, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
If you are so concerned about foreign exchange risk you should accept DCC
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat97, AA PLT, Delta SM
Well, wanted to test this out and I think I can be of help here in this thread. I usually load 100,000 KRW (about $95 USD) at Starbucks here in South Korea every few weeks. Today, I decided to load 30,000 KRW from each of my 4 no FTF credit cards. The credit cards I used are:

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa)
Barclays US Air (Mastercard)
Capital One Spark (Visa)
Capital One Quicksilver One (Mastercard)

I handed the 4 credit cards to the cashier all at once and she charged 30,000 KRW on each of the credit cards in succession after that. I'll post the results here in 3 days after the charges post (since it can change while pending).

Last edited by luna6; Feb 15, 2015 at 9:30 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Originally Posted by luna6
Well, wanted to test this out and I think I can be of help here in this thread. I usually load 100,000 KRW (about $95 USD) at Starbucks here in South Korea every few weeks. Today, I decided to load 30,000 KRW from each of my 4 no FTF credit cards. The credit cards I used are:

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa)
Barclays US Air (Mastercard)
Capital One Spark (Visa)
Capital One Quicksilver One (Mastercard)

I handed the 4 credit cards to the cashier all at once and she charged 30,000 KRW on each of the credit cards in succession after that. I'll post the results here in 3 days after the charges post (since it can change while pending).

Cool
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
1. The date of purchase is irrelevant. Transactions are always priced when posted, but the rate used is not necessarily the rate established on the posting date. Read your card agreement to see what they use.

2. When you use a card denominated in USD to make a purchase in another currency you are instructing the issuer to purchase that currency on your behalf. You need to look at purchase rates, not fictitious mid-market rates which represent an average of buying and selling rates at an arbitrary time. (It is well established that the published daily fixes were illegally manipulated.) Foreign exchange markets never close, the transaction network can price whenever they choose, and I would expect them to do this in a way which maximizes their profit. I would like to think that competition between MasterCard and VISA would create an incentive for one to offer better rates than the other, but this has little marketing value for consumer cards because they cannot demonstrate a savings that is meaningful for individuals. It could be useful for wooing corporate clients.

3. If you think you have evidence that Chase is adding an undisclosed foreign transaction fee don't write about it here. Hire a lawyer because they are violating a binding explicit antitrust agreement not to do this.
Forex markets never close? Huh? Sorry but that is not the case.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I look forward to Luna6's update. In the meantime, investment professionals in the group will have already noticed Visa's disclosure that "[t]he selected rate may vary from the rate Visa receives."

I'd also have the same question on the ATM side were it not for the fact that, if memory serves, BofA charges me 3%; Chase 1%; and Citi 0% -- a separate topic from the Forex rate itself, obviously.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
I finally had a chance to compare the conversion rates here in Mexico with my Chase Saphire Preferred and my Barclay US Air MC. They were the same. My iPhone app showed the current rate at 14.9 pesos to the dollar. I got 14.85 to 1 on both cards.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Citi issues cards on three networks Here is Citi's explanation of how each network calculates exchange rates. Note that no network makes the conversion based on the transaction date. It is always tied to the posting date. See if there is a basis to choose one over another based on the processes rather than anecdotal reports or vague generalizations.
Right here you just confirm what is the anecdotal evidence in this thread:

MasterCard specifies the date and the rate.
Amex also specifies the date and picks the rate that is highest. So worse than MC.
Visa only specifies range of dates and range of rates. No wonder it comes out the worst.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Right here you just confirm what is the anecdotal evidence in this thread:

Amex also specifies the date and picks the rate that is highest. So worse than MC.
Visa only specifies range of dates and range of rates. No wonder it comes out the worst.
Visa did specify a date - on the processing date.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
MasterCard uses a wholesale market rate. This could very well be the highest rate, same as American Express chooses.

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Forex markets never close? Huh? Sorry but that is not the case.
International regulators struggling to rein in the $5 trillion-a-day global foreign exchange market are finally finding some support from asset managers warming to the idea of moving more trading onto exchanges. The juggernaut forex market operates 24 hours a day across all time zones,
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0VJ1VU20150216
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:59 pm

Sorry Mia, that is not quite true. Forex markets are open 24 hours a day for 5 days a week.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:33 am

still waiting to post the results from 4 charges at Starbucks. The charges were all in pending transactions for 3 days then vanished from all 4 cards. Starbucks does that sometimes here, but it'll post in the coming days.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by medellinfein
...open 24 hours a day for 5 days a week.
Nonetheless, on the days when the markets are open the transaction networks can buy and sell currency at any time, and comparing their rates to the so-called "mid-market" rates, which are based on an arbitrary daily fix, is not particularly useful. Even less useful now that we know that the fixes were, apparently, manipulated.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:43 am

My 4 charges of 30,000 KRW at Starbucks finally posted a week later. Starbucks is weird in how they process credit cards here in South Korea. My charges were in pending for about 3 days then disappeared for about another 3 days, before finally appearing as a posted charge. This makes it a little uncertain what date the forex transaction is based on, but the results do show that the banks that claim "no foreign transaction fees" really don't charge anything extra since different banks had same charges based on whether they used Visa or Mastercard. The posted charges were:

Chase Sapphire Preferred (Visa) $27.05
Barclays US Air (Mastercard) $27.04
Capital One Spark (Visa) $27.05
Capital One Quicksilver One (Mastercard) $27.04
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:54 am

My 4 charges of 30,000 KRW at Starbucks finally posted a week later. Starbucks is weird in how they process credit cards here in South Korea. My charges were in pending for about 3 days then disappeared for about another 3 days, before finally appearing as a posted charge. This makes it a little uncertain what date the forex transaction is based on, but the results do show that the banks that claim "no foreign transaction fees" really don't charge anything extra since different banks had same charges based on whether they used Visa or Mastercard. The posted charges were:

Thanks! This is very helpful. ^
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:12 am

Thanks for this info!

I believe exact posting date/exchange rates (at least for Capital One) can be found on the end-of-month card statements.

Though what I've started doing recently is checking the published VISA exchange rates myself here: http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-be...calculator.jsp and then verifying that the transaction that posts matches the published rate. Have had no issues thus far.

The only issue seems to be when market rates experience a sudden movement, in which case the Visa published rate takes a couple of days to move in sync. I'm guessing this is because they're using some sort of an average in their calculation.

There's a similar website for Mastercard (https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/) although it always seems a day behind.

Last edited by shinjukuflyer; Feb 24, 2015 at 5:39 pm Reason: Fixed link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.