Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase checking account questions and strategies [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Chase checking account questions and strategies [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've lost count of the number of bank accounts I've opened and closed with Chase for bonuses. At one point I had 2 checking accts and a savings acct, all opened with either a $100-150 bonus or the 25K Continental miles.

The T&Cs used to be a lot looser back in 08/09/10 but they've really tightened them since then. The last one I used was a $150 savings bonus this spring. Had to deposit $10k which had to stay in the acct for 90 days, then I drew it down to the minimum balance until the 6 month mark and then closed it. I can't do the checking ones anymore since I have an active premier checking account and my mortgage with Chase auto debits it, so that account isn't going anywhere.

That said I've probably received $500-600 bucks over the years from these bonuses. I'll likely continue the savings bonuses as long as I'm eligible though.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 am

chase checking account question

If you have a chase freedom and get a chase checking account, there is a 10% annual bonus at the end of the year , right ? Does anyone know when exactly this 10% annual bonus is applied ?

And when is the last day to open up a chase checking account and still get this annual bonus ?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
As long as your Chase checking account is opened (and properly linked to your Freedom card) this year, you should still get the 10% annual bonus. It should post with your January or February statement.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:48 pm

How does one "link" the two accounts?

I called a CSR and they didn't know what I was talking about and also told me that the 10% bonus is not a benefit of the Freedom card.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107
How does one "link" the two accounts?

I called a CSR and they didn't know what I was talking about and also told me that the 10% bonus is not a benefit of the Freedom card.
It is supposed to be done automatically for you. Every JPMC customer has a unique numerical identifier that links together the entirety of your relationship (checking, savings/CDs, credit cards, car loans, mortgages, investments, etc.). Occasionally, people end up with duplicate identifiers so the bank can't readily see, for example, that the customer has both a Freedom card and a Chase checking account.

I would just send a SM asking to confirm that you are eligible for the 10% bonus since you have a Chase checking account, that way you have something in writing.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:39 pm

so if I sign up for a checking account on December 30th, than I would still get the 10% annual bonus by jan or feb ?

And its only at the end of the year, so if I sign up for a checking account in January, than I wouldn't see the 10% annual bonus until end of next yr ?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:45 pm

Why push it? Just apply for the checking account now. The official language is a little unclear, but it may already be too late. This is the wording straight from the Chase website:

Chase Exclusives® Bonus: You will earn an additional 10% Bonus on all new points earned with your Chase Freedom card during billing cycles within the previous Year when you, as the primary cardmember, were the sole or joint owner of an open Chase checking account. Your 10% Bonus is calculated after your billing cycle with a December closing date ("Year" means the twelve billing cycle period beginning the day after your billing cycle with a December closing date through your billing cycle with a December closing date of the next year.) Your Chase checking account must be open, and your Chase Freedom card account must be open and not in default, at the end of the Year. Your 10% Bonus points will appear on your January or February billing statement. You will not earn the 10% Bonus on new account bonus points, previous 10% Bonus points awarded, or points transferred into your account. You will earn on other bonus offers, including the quarterly 5% cash back program. Bonus offer void where prohibited by law.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by bribro
It is supposed to be done automatically for you. Every JPMC customer has a unique numerical identifier that links together the entirety of your relationship (checking, savings/CDs, credit cards, car loans, mortgages, investments, etc.). Occasionally, people end up with duplicate identifiers so the bank can't readily see, for example, that the customer has both a Freedom card and a Chase checking account.

I would just send a SM asking to confirm that you are eligible for the 10% bonus since you have a Chase checking account, that way you have something in writing.
What happens if the checking account is joint, but then you both have a CSP each, or whatever?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:02 am

When opening a chase total checking acct , does it require a hard pull ? Or is there no credit check when generally opening a checking acct ?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
What happens if the checking account is joint, but then you both have a CSP each, or whatever?
Should be automatic for the primary checking account holder. Not sure about the secondary holder. Just send an SM to Chase.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by agb1a
When opening a chase total checking acct , does it require a hard pull ? Or is there no credit check when generally opening a checking acct ?
No credit pulls for Chase (or most) banking accounts AFAIK. They will probably run ChexSystem though.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
This is a good question, as we both have a joint Chase Premier Checking account, and we also both have 2 Freedom cards each. hrmmm
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:11 am

chase total checking account direct deposit ?

With a chase total checking acount, does a paypal deposit count as a direct deposit ? Has anyone tried it , or does anything else count as a direct deposit instead of an actual deposit from an employer/ company ?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by agb1a
With a chase total checking acount, does a paypal deposit count as a direct deposit ? Has anyone tried it , or does anything else count as a direct deposit instead of an actual deposit from an employer/ company ?
Yes.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:04 am

can you give some more info ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.