Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase checking account questions and strategies [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Chase checking account questions and strategies [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flymax77
How are people "ACH" transferring into Chase and getting it to count as a direct deposit? Trying to avoid any further headaches, any tips would be greatly appreciated. ^

Also, I know there are reports of Serve working for a Direct Deposit, but I don't have a Serve account (currently have bluebird) and am looking for a traditional bank to ACH from into Chase.
Not sure what to tell you... I make online transfers between my checking accounts (BoA, Chase, Suntrust, Frost, etc) all the time and they always get processed as ACH debits and credits, and trigger any requisite bonus.

BoA isn't ideal for this because they charge that BS $3 fee. Many banks have this functionality for free. Doesn't help you for this purpose, but Chase lets you do this for free.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Not sure what to tell you... I make online transfers between my checking accounts (BoA, Chase, Suntrust, Frost, etc) all the time and they always get processed as ACH debits and credits, and trigger any requisite bonus.

BoA isn't ideal for this because they charge that BS $3 fee. Many banks have this functionality for free. Doesn't help you for this purpose, but Chase lets you do this for free.
Which method are you using, i.e. Are you sending to your chase account using a linked account, or an email or phone number as the transfer link between banks?

I used account and routing number method only (no email or phone number), as I thought this would seem more like a DD, but I was wrong though...
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:38 am

Which one do you select when setting up a B of A transfer to Chase that will hit as a DD?

I chose option 3 (someone else's account) and it hit as a "wire transfer"
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You should have picked either option 1 or 2 if it's your own account (not the 3rd). I don't do out going transfers from BoA (because they charge that stupid fee) but I have a recurring ACH transfer into it to waive the monthly service fee. If I need to move money out of my BoA acct I initiate the transfer from one of my other accounts which then debits BoA therefore avoiding the fee.

If I were you I'd re-set it up using the 1st or 2nd option and try again. Sorry can't be of more help.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:45 am

...If I need to move money out of my BoA acct I initiate the transfer from one of my other accounts which then debits BoA therefore avoiding the fee.
When you do this by Initiating from your other account to pull money from B of A, does it count for DD?

I just linked my B of A account to my chase checking account... waiting for the trial deposit verification, then I will try and report back... I hope it counts!

Last edited by flymax77; Apr 8, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:51 am

Question Initiating Transfer in Chase Online banking to transfer in from linked BofA checking

...If I need to move money out of my BoA acct I initiate the transfer from one of my other accounts which then debits BoA therefore avoiding the fee.
When you do this by Initiating from your other account to pull money from B of A, does it count for DD?

I just linked my B of A account to my chase checking account... waiting for the trial deposit verification, then I will try and report back... I hope it counts!
Bump ...

Last edited by flymax77; Apr 8, 2016 at 2:43 pm
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:53 am

or what about linking citibank to chase online account, then transfering in citibank checking funds... does this act as DD?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

For your bump... I've been away from my laptop since Friday.

Simply, no. Initiating a pull from another account will never count as a DD as it will be reflected on BoA as an ACH Debit.

or what about linking citibank to chase online account, then transfering in citibank checking funds... does this act as DD?
I would say "probably" but I can't tell you for sure since I don't bank with Citi. What I can tell you is that all of the transfers I make from my Chase bank account to my other accounts, transfers from my Texas based bank to all of my other accounts, every single one of them reflects as an ACH credit on the receiving side.

Something obviously got screwed up on your initial transfer to Chase. I have no idea what got screwed up, all I can imply is that something did, either through the bank or user error. Since I have never transfered out from BoA I can't help on the user error side of things. As mentioned above, I don't initiate transfers from BoA due to the fee.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:12 pm

Got it thanks, I guess my confusion came from this part of your response about how I thought it sounded like ACH from standard linked checking transfers, for you, "triggered" the bonus (meaning it counted as DD):

...I make online transfers between my checking accounts (BoA, Chase, Suntrust, Frost, etc) all the time and they always get processed as ACH debits and credits, and trigger any requisite bonus...
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:20 pm

Here is how the Citi checking transfer---> Chase checking came into my chase account, as an "ACH" this time, rather than the "wire transfer" that hit last time i did from b of a...

For those of you that got their DD requirement met transfering in from a linked checking at another bank, did your chase transaction description look similar to this?

Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

For those of you that got their DD requirement met transfering in from a linked checking at another bank, did your chase transaction description look similar to this?

Yes. That's how virtually ALL direct deposits should look. I say virtually all, because there is probably some situation I don't know about. I still have no clue how you and/or BoA managed to trigger a wire transfer through that online banking screen.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:50 pm

Question

Yes. That's how virtually ALL direct deposits should look. I say virtually all, because there is probably some situation I don't know about. I still have no clue how you and/or BoA managed to trigger a wire transfer through that online banking screen.
Cool thanks for info. I only did $10 in the above screen shot for my DD...

Any idea if there is a minimum to amount to trigger the bonus for DD?

Also, after your ACH credit (from linked account transfer) posted to your chase, did your DD bonus automatically post within the 10 days chase specifies?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:43 pm

looks like the $10 Citi ACH credit --> Chase premiere plus checking did not automatically trigger the $300 DD sign up bonus.... been 12 days now and was not automatic...

Going to try serve next, and try a $100 amount to see if it triggers... will report back here...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Any idea if there is a minimum to amount to trigger the bonus for DD?

Also, after your ACH credit (from linked account transfer) posted to your chase, did your DD bonus automatically post within the 10 days chase specifies?
Check the terms and conditions of the offer. There may be a minimum, but without seeing the offer I couldn't tell you. They tweak the T&Cs from time to time.

IIRC they usually deposit the bonus automatically ~10 biz days after you have met the requirement (which is what the T&Cs generally say).
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I realize Chase requires that you not have been a customer for the past 90 days. In spite of that, has anyone had any luck getting the bonus in the case of an account upgrade? Would branch reps have the ability to make exceptions? Specifically, I'm considering upgrading my Chase Total Checking to a Chase Premier Plus Checking account, but since Chase is my primary bank, closing all accounts and moving everything elsewhere for three months is not worth the effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.