Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire Preferred EMV (Chip & Signature) available 10.31.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD

I know some of Chases cards are EMV, I'm hoping there is a plan for the preferred to come over to the dark side sooner rather than later. Has there been any news on this anywhere? I searched the EMV post but it wasn't specific to news about this card...

Otherwise looks like the only UR card with EMV is the Palladium (since select is dead)...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
I read somewhere that it is in the works, but the current design of the CSP is a problem.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by augustus21
I read somewhere that it is in the works, but the current design of the CSP is a problem.
Yeah, they might be able to do it along the style of the classic credit card style card, which some have requested and gotten. But not with the current one. I wish they had EMV for this card...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:39 pm

I've heard rumors of a CSP EMV card for as long as the CSP has been out...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
I've heard rumors of a CSP EMV card for as long as the CSP has been out...
Well, with the coming changes and introduction of EMV to the industry as a whole in the US, we'll be seeing it one way or another soon.

Honestly, for a card marketed to international travelers and fairly affluent consumers, it should have it already.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I recently discussed this with Chase customer service:

1. No EMV for Sapphire Preferred
2. No possibility of converting Sapphire Preferred to JPM Select
3. JPM Select is still available for application in a branch

I did not make any attempt to verify (3) because the issue is not sufficiently important to merit opening a Chase bank account.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:22 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I'm surprised they would have problems putting an EMV chip into the current CSP design because the Marriott Premier card has been changed over to a metal design similar to the CSP, and there is a chip in that card.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
I'm surprised they would have problems putting an EMV chip into the current CSP design because the Marriott Premier card has been changed over to a metal design similar to the CSP, and there is a chip in that card.
That's the reason I ask; I use the Marriott card overseas now and it's the only one that works (anywhere, kiosks or otherwise) but I'm getting near the lifetime platinum mark and using the card beyond that is a bit pointless.

Trying to find something that pays cashback of some sort and has a chip... and it has to be a visa.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Trying to find something that pays cashback of some sort and has a chip... and it has to be a visa.
Bank of America has a travel rewards Visa that has no foreign transaction fees and comes with Chip & Signature. You earn points similar to Capital One/Discover/ect. miles that can be redeemed for travel with statement credits.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21
Bank of America has a travel rewards Visa that has no foreign transaction fees and comes with Chip & Signature. You earn points similar to Capital One/Discover/ect. miles that can be redeemed for travel with statement credits.
The BofA card also has no annual fee. Definitely a good back-up chipped card option for when the CSP might be problematic.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Consider going with a credit union, which is discussed extensively under the EMV discussion. All of the credit union ones, that I know of, are free, and I think they all have no FOREX. Best of all, chip and PIN. The only reason you really need the chip and pin are for those rare occasions when you are using a kiosk, etc., otherwise, the CSP works perfectly.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by mia
I recently discussed this with Chase customer service:
Was this a frontline CSR rep or someone higher up in the food chain?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Was this a frontline CSR rep or someone higher up in the food chain?
Frontline.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
The BofA card also has no annual fee. Definitely a good back-up chipped card option for when the CSP might be problematic.
Going pretty far afield now, but I looked at all the EMV cards on the spreadsheet in the other thread; the few rewards websites I could access refunded cash at $0.01 (and often less) or required a login to see what the rates were.

Hoping for CSP because most of my spending is travel and dining (and groceries but I'm SOL there) so I'm getting $0.02 per $1 of spend...
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Frontline.
There was a post (that I cannot find now) in which someone wrote that they were in contact with the manager of the CSP, who said that we would be seeing the card with EMV some time this year. Frontline reps rarely know these kinds of details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.