Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:32 am

Is a 3rd card possible?

Earlier this year I obtained both personal & business Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Cards and received 100,000 miles (50,000 x 2). Does anyone know if another 50,000 or 100,000 are available for the Plus Card too? I believe the terms and conditions elude to it not being available but has anyone been shot down yet?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by senioreditor
Earlier this year I obtained both personal & business Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Cards and received 100,000 miles (50,000 x 2). Does anyone know if another 50,000 or 100,000 are available for the Plus Card too? I believe the terms and conditions elude to it not being available but has anyone been shot down yet?
This is what I'd like to know. If you do go for the Plus, please let us know how it goes.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by djschex
Some bloggers have suggested you might be able to get both, but I have not seen anyone report that they have been approved for both the personal Premier ($99) and the personal Plus ($69) bonuses.

That said, I think the Premier is a better card because you get an annual bonus of 6,000 points ($100 of airfare) for your annual fee of $99, while the Plus version only gives you 3,000 ($50) for $69. If you plan to continue flying WN, the Premier essentially becomes a no-fee card you can keep forever, which helps your credit score.
Thanks, I guess it is better in the long run. Of course, if you can change it after a year, it would be better to start with the $69 annual fee and then upgrade the next year when you get your bonus points, instead of paying $99 to start when you still just get the 50,000 in the beginning either way.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lyssa
Thanks, I guess it is better in the long run. Of course, if you can change it after a year, it would be better to start with the $69 annual fee and then upgrade the next year when you get your bonus points, instead of paying $99 to start when you still just get the 50,000 in the beginning either way.
you could wait until the anniversary points hit and still cancel the card..chase will remove the annual fee and close the card within 30 days of it hitting your statement...and the terms are you get the points at your 1 year anniversary, not your payment of the next years annual fee. so 56k for $99 or 53k for $69
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
you could wait until the anniversary points hit and still cancel the card..chase will remove the annual fee and close the card within 30 days of it hitting your statement...and the terms are you get the points at your 1 year anniversary, not your payment of the next years annual fee. so 56k for $99 or 53k for $69
Awesome, I did not realize that!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
So I'm most concerned with my 50k miles posting in 2012 for the 2012-2013 CP.

When I log in to my new Chase account, the $69 annual fee is on the account, but the due date is for 01/04/2012. It's like this for both my personal, and business cards. Does this mean that I won't be receiving a statement before 2012, and thus, no points will be transferred before then? This would mean I can go ahead and start spending NOW to get that CP ASAP.

The whole 1/4/12 due date is a little weird. Miles aside, a CC having your first payment due 2+ months after it was opened seems a little... interesting.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by maanfi24
So I'm most concerned with my 50k miles posting in 2012 for the 2012-2013 CP.

When I log in to my new Chase account, the $69 annual fee is on the account, but the due date is for 01/04/2012. It's like this for both my personal, and business cards. Does this mean that I won't be receiving a statement before 2012, and thus, no points will be transferred before then? This would mean I can go ahead and start spending NOW to get that CP ASAP.

The whole 1/4/12 due date is a little weird. Miles aside, a CC having your first payment due 2+ months after it was opened seems a little... interesting.
Applied for both within past week, about two days apart. Got approved for both after calling in. Personal card is showing on my online account, with next payment due date of 1/12/2012. Note that your statement will close in December, and points for purchases will post to Southwest a day or two after statement date, not payment due date. I'm in the same boat...want the bonus points to hit in January so I won't be activating the cards or making any purchases until January. If the annual fee hitting the account somehow triggers the bonus points to hit in December I'll be on the phone with Chase asking them to undo that and reissue the points when I make the first purchase (per the terms of the application).

Last edited by meecal; Nov 4, 2011 at 8:09 am
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Just applied for SW personal card, got delayed decision. I have three other Chase cards but the newest of the three is six months hold. Hopefully they will just want to reduce my credit line on one of the other cards in order to approve it.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:04 am

Annual Fee

Does anybody know when they charge the annual fee? My concern is that they will charge the annual fee and then when you pay it from your December statement, the points will post in 2011. I realize the annual fee is not a "charge" which is what should trigger the points posting. My plan (as others have suggested) is to not charge on the cards until Jan 1st. Anybody have any experience with this? Thank you.

Edit: Guess i should have read a little closer above...Maanfi, when did you apply for the card?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Edit: Guess i should have read a little closer above...Maanfi, when did you apply for the card?
I applied just a couple weeks ago. The annual fee took a few days to post after getting the card. The business card had the fee posted when I got it. I haven't called to activate either card yet. Both are due 1/4/12.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Does anybody know when they charge the annual fee? My concern is that they will charge the annual fee and then when you pay it from your December statement, the points will post in 2011. I realize the annual fee is not a "charge" which is what should trigger the points posting. My plan (as others have suggested) is to not charge on the cards until Jan 1st. Anybody have any experience with this? Thank you.

I'm in the same boat...want the bonus points to hit in January so I won't be activating the cards or making any purchases until January. If the annual fee hitting the account somehow triggers the bonus points to hit in December I'll be on the phone with Chase asking them to undo that and reissue the points when I make the first purchase (per the terms of the application).
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:54 am

Smile

deleted

Last edited by artieshay; Nov 4, 2011 at 11:22 am
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:00 am

not sure

technically the annual fee is not a point generating charge (no points earned for it) so I'm not sure if it matters much except to show when your first statement is due. The first purchase is what counts for RR points and I will make sure I make that on 1/1/2012.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:38 am

When I called to activate,they asked if I wanted

to change the posting/closing date, so I presume within reason, you can designate posting/closing date+/- X days. I changed mine for 10 days earlier because I wanted the points earlier...
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
two free flights

Why do so many of the ads for this card say it is good for two free flights after first purchase? 50,000 would be good for two round-trips on some other mileage programs, but on Southwest it entirely depends on the cost of the tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.