Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Panama for 34 hours - Decent hotel & Canal tour recs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

I arrive at 8PM on a Friday, have full day Saturday, and leave at 6AM on Sunday. I'm considering just booking the Crowne Plaza Airport hotel at $100/night. My thought is that on Saturday I'll book a tour to the Canal that will take up a good bit of the day. Then just relax at hotel that night and be ready to get up early for the 6AM departure. Figure I need to leave for airport by about 4:15?

Will Panama Canal tour companies pick me up at the Crowne Plaza airport hotel? Any recommendations on best tour company to book?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
i'm thinking of taking a similar trip ... any advice on a quick Panama canal tour ?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You can just pay a taxi driver to take you to the canal, wait 60-90 minutes while you look around and visit the museum, then drive you back.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Hate to be devil's advocate.
Keep in mind that the entire Canal museum and viewing terrace is overrated. I am sure any National Geographic special about the Panama Canal is as good as seeing it in person.
I cannot speak for the actual boat trips crossing the canal or going from one end to the other. Those may be more interesting.
I apologize to all our Panama friends on flyertalk.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
Hate to be devil's advocate.
Keep in mind that the entire Canal museum and viewing terrace is overrated. I am sure any National Geographic special about the Panama Canal is as good as seeing it in person.
I cannot speak for the actual boat trips crossing the canal or going from one end to the other. Those may be more interesting.
I apologize to all our Panama friends on flyertalk.
Sorry to say this, but you seem to be an ideal example of a couch potato. Of course you can watch National Geographic specials not only on the Canal but also on the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids, and so on...
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA
I would second jphripjah's advice to just get a taxi to take you there and back.

keisari's post is accurate for certain travelers (Clark Griswold types, of which I may be one). Watching a huge boat sink 30 feet over 30 minutes is not very exciting. But laying eyes on one of the world's most impressive engineering feats may be attractive to many travelers.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I would second jphripjah's advice to just get a taxi to take you there and back.

keisari's post is accurate for certain travelers (Clark Griswold types, of which I may be one). Watching a huge boat sink 30 feet over 30 minutes is not very exciting. But laying eyes on one of the world's most impressive engineering feats may be attractive to many travelers.
This. My dad is an engineer and I've never seen him more impressed by anything out of all the countries we've been to.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by KLouis
Sorry to say this, but you seem to be an ideal example of a couch potato. Of course you can watch National Geographic specials not only on the Canal but also on the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids, and so on...
You are making too many assumptions from the fact that I did not like the Panama Canal.
No need to roll your eyes either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.