Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Panama for 34 hours - Decent hotel & Canal tour recs?

Panama for 34 hours - Decent hotel & Canal tour recs?

Old May 1, 16, 8:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Posts: 4,815
Panama for 34 hours - Decent hotel & Canal tour recs?

I arrive at 8PM on a Friday, have full day Saturday, and leave at 6AM on Sunday. I'm considering just booking the Crowne Plaza Airport hotel at $100/night. My thought is that on Saturday I'll book a tour to the Canal that will take up a good bit of the day. Then just relax at hotel that night and be ready to get up early for the 6AM departure. Figure I need to leave for airport by about 4:15?

Will Panama Canal tour companies pick me up at the Crowne Plaza airport hotel? Any recommendations on best tour company to book?

Thanks in advance!
mikelat is offline  
Old Aug 18, 16, 8:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Posts: 642
i'm thinking of taking a similar trip ... any advice on a quick Panama canal tour ?
fartoomanyusers is offline  
Old Aug 19, 16, 9:02 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LAS
Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,907
You can just pay a taxi driver to take you to the canal, wait 60-90 minutes while you look around and visit the museum, then drive you back.
jphripjah is offline  
Old Aug 20, 16, 1:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,859
Hate to be devil's advocate.
Keep in mind that the entire Canal museum and viewing terrace is overrated. I am sure any National Geographic special about the Panama Canal is as good as seeing it in person.
I cannot speak for the actual boat trips crossing the canal or going from one end to the other. Those may be more interesting.
I apologize to all our Panama friends on flyertalk.
keisari is offline  
Old Aug 20, 16, 7:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Heraklion, Greece
Posts: 6,546
Originally Posted by keisari View Post
Hate to be devil's advocate.
Keep in mind that the entire Canal museum and viewing terrace is overrated. I am sure any National Geographic special about the Panama Canal is as good as seeing it in person.
I cannot speak for the actual boat trips crossing the canal or going from one end to the other. Those may be more interesting.
I apologize to all our Panama friends on flyertalk.
Sorry to say this, but you seem to be an ideal example of a couch potato. Of course you can watch National Geographic specials not only on the Canal but also on the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids, and so on...
KLouis is offline  
Old Aug 20, 16, 7:46 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: PTY
Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
Posts: 377
I would second jphripjah's advice to just get a taxi to take you there and back.

keisari's post is accurate for certain travelers (Clark Griswold types, of which I may be one). Watching a huge boat sink 30 feet over 30 minutes is not very exciting. But laying eyes on one of the world's most impressive engineering feats may be attractive to many travelers.
YadiMolina is offline  
Old Aug 26, 16, 3:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 1,625
Originally Posted by YadiMolina View Post
I would second jphripjah's advice to just get a taxi to take you there and back.

keisari's post is accurate for certain travelers (Clark Griswold types, of which I may be one). Watching a huge boat sink 30 feet over 30 minutes is not very exciting. But laying eyes on one of the world's most impressive engineering feats may be attractive to many travelers.
This. My dad is an engineer and I've never seen him more impressed by anything out of all the countries we've been to.
slickvik is offline  
Old Sep 11, 16, 10:00 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,859
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Sorry to say this, but you seem to be an ideal example of a couch potato. Of course you can watch National Geographic specials not only on the Canal but also on the Eiffel Tower, the Great Wall of China, the Pyramids, and so on...
You are making too many assumptions from the fact that I did not like the Panama Canal.
No need to roll your eyes either.
keisari is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread