Wiki Posts
Search

Tight connection in Belize

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Tight connection in Belize

On Christmas Eve, there's a group of 9 of us who will be connecting through BZE on a tight connection ... and I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions about what to expect.

We're arriving from Houston on UA 1410, which is scheduled to arrive in BZE at 15:50. We're trying to get to Placencia (PLJ), so we've booked the latest possible connection - Maya Air 1230, which leaves at 17:00.

My worry is that 70 mins is a tight international connection at the best of times ... and given that it will be winter in Houston, even the smallest delay could really hurt us.

I've never been to Belize before, and I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience there, and any thoughts on what we might expect, or suggestions on how to make the connection.

Some specific questions:
  • I'm assuming that we'll need to clear customs before we connect ... is there a separate customs clearance for people making flight connections, or will we just be in the regular lineup?
  • What's a typical time that it takes to clear customs in BZE, is that a long or short process?
  • Are there multiple terminals in BZE? Are United and Maya Air, physically close to each other?
  • Will we be able to connect from United to Maya Air inside the secure zone, or do we have to exit and then go back through security again?
  • Any comments or experience on the speed of baggage delivery in BZE? It will be a pain if we have to avoid any checked bags ... but we'll do that if it will increase the likelihood of making the connection.

In general, any experience or guidance that you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA
BZE is a tiny airport. 70 minutes is plenty. Just make sure you're flying out of BZE and not the municipal airport, I'm pretty sure they don't really use it anymore but you'd best check with the airline. As long as your plane is not delayed from IAH, you'll be fine.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Darian
BZE is a tiny airport. 70 minutes is plenty. Just make sure you're flying out of BZE and not the municipal airport, I'm pretty sure they don't really use it anymore but you'd best check with the airline. As long as your plane is not delayed from IAH, you'll be fine.
Thanks very much for the input; much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.