Week in Nicaragua

Old Nov 21, 15, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Week in Nicaragua

I'm spending a week in late February in Nicaragua with two friends. We're all 30-something white women who like outdoorsy stuff, art, and history. We've worked out a rough itinerary based on guidebooks, Internet research, and advice from Nicaraguan friends and acquaintances, but I wanted to post it here to see if anyone had feedback.

Day 1: Arrive in Managua mid-afternoon, transit to Leon. (Sleep in Leon.)
Day 2: Explore Leon, visiting the cathedral, the Museum de Arte Fundacion Ortiz, and the Museum de la Revolucion de Leon. Possibly also try to take a trip to the Pacific, although I think this is overly ambitious. (Sleep in Leon.)
Day 3: Transit to Ometepe. (Sleep near Playa Santo Domingo.)
Day 4: Climb Concepcion, then spend any remaining daylight hanging out on Playa Santo Domingo, feeling sore. (Sleep near Playa Santo Domingo.)
Day 5: Visit the San Ramon waterfall and/or petroglyphs, ideally on horseback. (Sleep near Merida.)
Day 6: Transit to Granada. (Sleep in Granada.)
Day 7: Kayak in Las Isletas; visit the Convento y Museum San Francisco and/or Mi Museo. (Sleep in Granada.)
Day 8: Take a tour of Mombacho Cloud Forest; visit the chocolate museum and/or the butterfly preserve. (Sleep in Granada.)
Day 9: Transit back to Managua; fly out early afternoon

Are we missing any must-sees or seeing anything you think is a waste of time? Are there days when we're trying to do too much--or too little?

My plan is to largely rely on hostel shuttles and taxis for transportation (split three ways, it seems like that should be plenty affordable). For arrival and departure, I am leaning toward paying our first and last hotels for direct-to/from-airport transportation. Is this a reasonable plan (it's pricing out at about $65 for Managua to Leon and $30 for Granada to Managua), or am I better off just hailing cabs?

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 15, 9:15 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Leon is kind of meh imo. I work down here, maybe I'm a little biased. Three people you might be better off renting a truck ~$55/day split three isn't bad. Waze and Google maps work here, and everywhere you listed would be something that would show up on GPS.

If you are beach people I would head south to Tola or SJDS, transit to Omotepe from Rivas, and hit Granada on the way back.

If you aren't beach people maybe look into going to Esteli or Jinotega/Matagalpa in the mountains in the north in stead of Leon.
Old Nov 30, 15, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was in Nicaragua a few years ago, I spent three days which I felt was a day too short. Managua can be seen quickly but I really enjoyed seeing Grenada, Massaya and the Volcano National Park. In fact, I have a trip report with pictures and information if you're interested:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...nicaragua.html

Search this Thread