Community
Wiki Posts
Search

El Salvador

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
That's my main recollection of my three day visit about ten years ago as well.
spoke with someone from El Salvador... she claims that EVERY fast food
restaurant(McD, KFC, BK, etc) or corner store has armed guards with
loaded shotguns standing outside. well... I better not complain about the
food then. oh... armed guards also present at gas station.

Last edited by AppleApe; Apr 22, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AppleApe
spoke with someone from El Salvador... she claims that EVERY fast food
restaurant(McD, KFC, BK, etc) or corner store has armed guards with
loaded shotguns standing outside. well... I better not complain about the
food then.
I haven't followed the situation carefully, but it was my recollection that San Salvador could be dangerous (not unlike many other Latin American cities) but that the countryside was generally safe. I didn't feel threatened during my visit, but it certainly is disconcerting to see guys with guns everywhere.

If they're ever going to build a tourist trade, they need to do something about the guns.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx

If they're ever going to build a tourist trade, they need to do something about the guns.
Call me crazy, but perhaps the guns can be a draw for tourist like me with death wish?

These are some of the "dangerous" places I've been to:

(1)
DMZ between N and S Koreas

(2)
Berlin Wall (way before it came down, of course)

(3)
Yakuza street in Osaka(brothel and bars not meant for foreigners)... we got chased out with sticks by actual Yakuza mamebers with their glorious full-body tattoos

(4)
worst part of downtown Newark after dark in the mid 1980s

(5)
accidentally drove into Koreatown during the LA riots... the rental car got a bullet hole which the CDW did not cover

(6)
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AppleApe
Call me crazy, but perhaps the guns can be a draw for tourist like me with death wish?

These are some of the "dangerous" places I've been to:

(1)
DMZ between N and S Koreas

(2)
Berlin Wall (way before it came down, of course)

(3)
Yakuza street in Osaka(brothel and bars not meant for foreigners)... we got chased out with sticks by actual Yakuza mamebers with their glorious full-body tattoos

(4)
worst part of downtown Newark after dark in the mid 1980s

(5)
accidentally drove into Koreatown during the LA riots... the rental car got a bullet hole which the CDW did not cover

(6)
Well, you like to live on the edge. Perhaps El Salvador would be too peaceful for you.

BTW, it would be quite "interesting" to return a rental car with a bullet hole!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Literally every shop, restaurant, pharmacy, building, parking lot has somebody (private security) with guns. San Salvador is fairly unsafe and all these people with guns did not make me feel any safer. Outside of the capital city, things appear to be a little better but I would be very careful about exploring on your own. Highly recommend either somebody local that you trust or a trusted guide tour to take you around.
There are some very safe gated communities at the beaches.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
Literally every shop, restaurant, pharmacy, building, parking lot has somebody (private security) with guns. San Salvador is fairly unsafe and all these people with guns did not make me feel any safer. Outside of the capital city, things appear to be a little better but I would be very careful about exploring on your own. Highly recommend either somebody local that you trust or a trusted guide tour to take you around.
you got me thinking.... since I will be a tourist, I probably can't carry my Glocks
with me.(duh!) However, can I hire an armed guard with a couple of shotguns
to walk with me for a few days? Can't be that expensive there, can it?

or... can I hire this 9-year-old Irish girl to be my security guard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEjGQB9BKWA
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by keisari
I agree. The countryside did seem safer but still be wary even in small towns. Our guide pointed out the dividing line of the gangs in one town on our way to hike Santa Ana Volcano. It is the law for the hike for 2 police officers to accompany the group btw. Never felt unsafe around the park tho, think that was of a procedure than anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.