Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Taxis - Belize City - Recommendations.

Old Jun 3, 15, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT

Can anybody comment on the reliability/cost/safety of the taxi service in Belize? I am staying at the Radisson and debating about whether to rent a car or take a taxi. Thanks in advance!

ETA: 5 days with no answer to my question. After visiting and completing my trip, I now understand why. This truly is a "3rd world" country." Immigration was arduous. At the airport at departure, the power went out for a good 45 minutes. Thankfully, I allowed myself extra time. There is no lounge, and only wooden seats at the gate with very limited options for snacks/drinks in the airport.

OT: Taxi cost $25 in both directions. My driver offered to take me to Altun Ha, the Mayan ruins, after picking me up from the airport. This cost an extra $125. Not sure whether this was a good deal or not, but given my limited time in Belize, and my unlikelhood to return anytime soon given how undeveloped this country is, I felt it was worth it. I had a good experience with my taxi driver, who even offered to pick me up from the hotel the following AM, but YMMV.

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; Jun 8, 15 at 9:42 pm Reason: No answer!
Old Jun 16, 15, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy View Post
Can anybody comment on the reliability/cost/safety of the taxi service in Belize? I am staying at the Radisson and debating about whether to rent a car or take a taxi. Thanks in advance!

ETA: 5 days with no answer to my question. After visiting and completing my trip, I now understand why. This truly is a "3rd world" country." Immigration was arduous. At the airport at departure, the power went out for a good 45 minutes. Thankfully, I allowed myself extra time. There is no lounge, and only wooden seats at the gate with very limited options for snacks/drinks in the airport.

OT: Taxi cost $25 in both directions. My driver offered to take me to Altun Ha, the Mayan ruins, after picking me up from the airport. This cost an extra $125. Not sure whether this was a good deal or not, but given my limited time in Belize, and my unlikelhood to return anytime soon given how undeveloped this country is, I felt it was worth it. I had a good experience with my taxi driver, who even offered to pick me up from the hotel the following AM, but YMMV.
I have been to Belize two dozen times over 10 years. I have never had a bad taxi experience. (My driver is Gareth, and he is usually waiting at the airport.) Glad you enjoyed your stay. Radisson is also my preferred property.
--
13F

Search this Thread