Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Trial flights:
May 1 to May 31 - CX343/344 (HKG-LGW)
June 1 to June 30 - CX806/CX807 (HKG-ORD)

Media coverage:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2078183/cathay-pacific-trial-demand-catering-long-haul-flights
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-to-trial-dine-on-demand-meals-in-business-class
Print Wikipost

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 1:30 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by kaka
Surely you could have asked the crew what it is.
Yep, I agree, just like sometimes I ask the CC is this chilled, is this spicy etc...so it's really not that big of a deal. gongzuokuang will feel pampered in J!

After all, maybe the 'surprise/delight pax/ enhance communications' bit within the new service is about this, walking pax through the menu
Old May 12, 2017, 1:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
The confusion is that I am apparently less "Well Travelled" and don't know what any of the stuff is that I listed. And I am a big steak eater!

For example, I know Sauteed red snapper. But what is artichoke potato hash? Artichoke crisps are maybe some deep fried potato chip like thing? I have no idea what beurre blanc is.

Braised Australian wagyu cheek makes sense if you know what a waguy is. I did not. Potato and comte puree sounds like some massively blended thing, except I don't know what "comte" is. Sherry reduction means that they've boiled the sherry until it's thick, I think. So to me, I'm trying to imagine the cheek of some unknown animal with some semi-liquid goo made of potato and some unknown element, covered in thickened sherry.

While I do know croissant, I don't know Pain au raison, so there is no way to envision that.

I googled "bubble and squeak", and it appears to be some sort of quiche thing? What is back gammon bacon? And again, I would not have known what it is unless I've either travelled to England, or have google available on the flight.

I imagine some might be viewing me as some uncultured slob if I don't know these things, but I can't be the only barbarian hillbilly on the flight.
Maybe it is encouraging you to sign up for Wifi (if on A350...)

Originally Posted by kaka
Surely you could have asked the crew what it is.
I will be amazed if crew can properly explain all these foods. You know their vocab is usually limited to "chicken or beef"
Old May 12, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
The confusion is that I am apparently less "Well Travelled" and don't know what any of the stuff is that I listed. And I am a big steak eater!

For example, I know Sauteed red snapper. But what is artichoke potato hash? Artichoke crisps are maybe some deep fried potato chip like thing? I have no idea what beurre blanc is.

Braised Australian wagyu cheek makes sense if you know what a waguy is. I did not. Potato and comte puree sounds like some massively blended thing, except I don't know what "comte" is. Sherry reduction means that they've boiled the sherry until it's thick, I think. So to me, I'm trying to imagine the cheek of some unknown animal with some semi-liquid goo made of potato and some unknown element, covered in thickened sherry.

While I do know croissant, I don't know Pain au raison, so there is no way to envision that.

I googled "bubble and squeak", and it appears to be some sort of quiche thing? What is back gammon bacon? And again, I would not have known what it is unless I've either travelled to England, or have google available on the flight.

I imagine some might be viewing me as some uncultured slob if I don't know these things, but I can't be the only barbarian hillbilly on the flight.
All a matter of personal experience and knowledge, I guess, although Wagyu is so common as a descriptor of beef (whether cheels, burger or steak) that it is unusual for a big steak eater not to be familiar with it. You can't blame CX for that.

You can blame them for spelling 'Pain au Raisin' as 'raison' ... !

Comté is a well known French hard cheese.

Artichoke potato hash is, well, a potato has made with artichokes ... not sure what the problem is there either.

A reduction is a very common term in a decent restaurant - without being absurdly fancy. Bubble and Squeak is uniquely English so fair enough for putting this on a LGW flight.

Anyway, the A350 has wifi so any queries can be resolved!

I think the menu looks great. Can't wait to try.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by insideman
All a matter of personal experience and knowledge, I guess, although Wagyu is so common as a descriptor of beef (whether cheels, burger or steak) that it is unusual for a big steak eater not to be familiar with it. You can't blame CX for that.

You can blame them for spelling 'Pain au Raisin' as 'raison' ... !

Comté is a well known French hard cheese.

Artichoke potato hash is, well, a potato has made with artichokes ... not sure what the problem is there either.

A reduction is a very common term in a decent restaurant - without being absurdly fancy. Bubble and Squeak is uniquely English so fair enough for putting this on a LGW flight.

Anyway, the A350 has wifi so any queries can be resolved!

I think the menu looks great. Can't wait to try.
Wagyu I get of course

I guessed the same thing as you did for artichoke potato hash

I forgot Comte's a cheese. I think puree put me off as I thought only vegetables can be made to purees.

Never came across a sherry reduction til now. Tho I know what is a red wine reduction and can extrapolate from there.

I studied in an ESF school for 9 years, I wasn't taught what a bubble and squeak is before moving on to Aus. If I was on the LGW flight, I think I am entitled to be treated as a foreigner/visitor.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:01 am

Here's another more practical question - how many mains per passenger do they intend to load?

This menu's even longer than the one they had on my 17-hour DOH-EZE. I think "prior passenger selection" is gonna hit hard.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by percysmith
Here's another more practical question - how many mains per passenger do they intend to load?

This menu's even longer than the one they had on my 17-hour DOH-EZE. I think "prior passenger selection" is gonna hit hard.
For the trials they will be overloaded (one less complaint, one more compelling pull when it comes to the official roll out!)

I perused the galley instruction/guide sheets and inquired with the CC on my QR ULH flight. The loading for each 'main' item is like 50-60%, more for those that sensibly should be (like bread baskets). So knowing our favorite airline, let's not estimate the number to shock ourselves...
Old May 12, 2017, 5:02 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Implement a book the cook function and cater less mains. I surprise the suits at Cathay city didn't figure out that simple solution. Probably costs less than overcatering (both weight and waste)
Old May 12, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: TK*G
Another post from instagram showing the food onboard HKG/LGW flight:

Looks really amazing indeed!
I do want to hear from passengers on board how they find the new service.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:08 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Implement a book the cook function and cater less mains. I surprise the suits at Cathay city didn't figure out that simple solution. Probably costs less than overcatering (both weight and waste)
Probably the incompetent IT department can't implement it
Old May 12, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by bart simpson
Another post from instagram showing the food onboard HKG/LGW flight:

Looks really amazing indeed!
I do want to hear from passengers on board how they find the new service.
The FAs will have to write love notes to J passengers? They will go on strike.
Old May 12, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL… typical CX.

I feel like I am reading some foreign language with only a few recognizable words.
Seriously? You need to get out more. @:-)
Or stick to flying Economy.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It looks good indeed. I hope DoD will be on my upcoming flight. On your questions:

1) Long-haul F always has DoD. Food is better.

2) In F, that was pretty much the case, but I think supply will be limited in J.
Just landed at SFO. There was no DoD...
Old May 15, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Asiana Club
LOL… typical CX.

What is a “wagyu”?
Seriously?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
In F or J?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:05 pm

I thought DoD is only being trial tested on the LGW and ORD routes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.