Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dine on Demand Trial in J class coming in May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Trial flights:
May 1 to May 31 - CX343/344 (HKG-LGW)
June 1 to June 30 - CX806/CX807 (HKG-ORD)

Media coverage:
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2078183/cathay-pacific-trial-demand-catering-long-haul-flights
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific-to-trial-dine-on-demand-meals-in-business-class
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:16 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

I'm not sure how credible my source is, but as per my understanding dine-on-demand in J class will be coming next month on a trial basis starting some time next month. If feedback is positive, it will be rolled out across the network in August.

The rumored launch routes are LGW and....(!!!) ORD. First one being CX's flagship route carrying the 'new products' (new J class, wifi, 350...etc), second one being one of the most desirable crewing patterns to entice the crew to sign up to join the trial. (I am thinking perhaps because ORD return is catered by DO&CO too...don't know about LGW?)

There will be no more trolleys in the cabin, and the food items will also be different (I'm not sure if that translates to no more dips and berries for supper). New form of bedding (presumably mattress and duvet) will be available too. No changes in crewing.

It would be glad if other FTers here can chip in in case some of the content here is not accurate, I'm really not sure at this moment.

I will be flying ORD-HKG next month...if this materializes I'll be sure to report back

Edit: There will also be minor changes to catering for Asia routes (I think across all classes) including larger entree and improved offering/brands.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
QR has had that for a while, nonetheless good to have on CX.
I probably have a biased view due to certain facebook page, but I presume HK based cabin crew nowadays are not going to be happy about that, if doing cup noodles is something to be complained so much, imagine this.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by ashsong
I probably have a biased view due to certain facebook page, but I presume HK based cabin crew nowadays are not going to be happy about that, if doing cup noodles is something to be complained so much, imagine this.

I think "not happy" is an understatement.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:58 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
CX Secrets has been talking about this for a while

www.facebook.com/cxsecret/posts/1288041014607469
www.facebook.com/cxsecret/posts/1270380006373570
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ashsong
Just want to point out that for QR they have 7 Cabin Crew taking care of 48 Business Class passengers. On my flight from DOH to CDG, they were working most of the time as some people wanted to eat right after take off while others like me wanted to sleep some more. When I woke up around 3-4hrs into the flight, I wanted my meal and so did a few more other passengers. Although the flight was not full, they told me that they normally work non-stop because of the arrangement.

Now given that OP said that CX won't have any additional crew for this new dining concept, that would be 5 for 53 pax in 77H. almost 11:1 while QR is at 7:1.

So you really think HK based crew doesn't have any rights to complain about the new set up?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by JALPak
Oh no...I'll tell myself now that I didn't read the comments there....I absolutely didn't...

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Now given that OP said that CX won't have any additional crew for this new dining concept, that would be 5 for 53 pax in 77H. almost 11:1 while QR is at 7:1.

So you really think HK based crew doesn't have any rights to complain about the new set up?
In reality it will be less than that under the current rest periods for long haul flights. Even if that changes, say there are 3 working at any time, the ratio is still bone chillingly high (1:18). Let's assume ISMs in general are of no help. But still.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:35 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Oh no...I'll tell myself now that I didn't read the comments there....I absolutely didn't...

In reality it will be less than that under the current rest periods for long haul flights. Even if that changes, say there are 3 working at any time, the ratio is still bone chillingly high (1:18). Let's assume ISMs in general are of no help. But still.
But I wonder why this takes 5 days to train.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:04 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'm just wondering - did passengers ever say they want DoD? I'm pretty sure we all said we want better food much much much more than how the food is served.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Dine-on-demand while no change in crewing? I once flied KUL -> HKG on a fully loaded 77W where the crew used almost all of the time in the air to serve and collect the meals. I wonder how this would work without having more staff on board.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:16 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm just wondering - did passengers ever say they want DoD? I'm pretty sure we all said we want better food much much much more than how the food is served.
I can see the allure for DoD for some flights like 830 and 841.
ORD route, I guess on the return 807 (2/3pm -> 8pm+1 timing) some will appreciate it.

But LGW...not sure how effective it will be.

Originally Posted by JALPak
But I wonder why this takes 5 days to train.
Hopefully there's some 'competitor analysis' involved :P

BTW I didn't know you were HKer!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by percysmith
Don't be fooled - DoD is a cost saving and time efficiency measure.

ORD and LGW routes are 77H 53 J seats which means a lot of individual orders and additional work for the crew. Cabin crew will obviously encourage pax to eat between certain times, ie: 90 min prior to landing to group requests.

Next step will be to choose your meal in advance.
After that, we'll see the ability for econ pax to purchase business class meals in advance.

This all translates into cost reduction and less wastage for CPCS.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
LGW isn't a 777 though?
I don't see how this is a cost saving measure however - could you explain?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:36 am
Uli

The main problem for the crews with dine-on-demand is that they do not know fast enough which meals they can share with the crew, the cockpit and family members sitting in eco.
This already poses a problem in F. If you say that you will eat only some hours later and do not know what you want right now they will be very unhappy and try to push you to chose as it will run out.
The risk is very high that the passenger with go to see the bathroom while crew is eating the F steak and then there is no more steak available when you want yours
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:02 am

I think LGW is moving to A350 soon...

Given the new J on demand menu, CX will have to load more meals than before. I believe that they currently do not even load 100% meals for supper service and CX will have to change the ways the do crew meals too because they cannot force passengers to make the entree choices so far ahead.

I think that is the reasons for five days training because they basically change everything that these F/As have learned before.

But I sincerely hope that the dips will become historic.

I agree with most folks here - the problem will be manpower because there are not enough crews to begin with and CX J cabin is always full.

Carfield
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
I don't mind cost reduction so long as it means I have more options, and better options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.