Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX New strategy rollout in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by keitherson
MNL as well. Lots of investment there already.

They could pull a Qantas and say, we will focus on premium traffic only and basically revamp their network and services. But my guess is more a shift to the bottom, unfortunately. Qantas was successful in offloading all their unprofitable and short-haul routes to Jetstar. Cathay has no LCC to do that; Dragon is still very much high-cost-base and full service.
Thats exactly what I fear will happen, QF has really impressed me with their decision making recently. They've turned the company around and restored it to a brand to be proud of, something I fear is slowly dying at CX.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
QF is actually taking routes back from JQ, e.g. SYD-OOL and MEL-OOL. QF even came back to PER-SIN and SYD-DPS.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Looks like CX is really struggling. On the HKG to Australia routes, the cheap premium economy fare of $10,250 and business fare of $23k is now a standard entry level fare. They are basically matching QF fares on one of the routes that CX heavily protected yield wise before.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sxc
Looks like CX is really struggling. On the HKG to Australia routes, the cheap premium economy fare of $10,250 and business fare of $23k is now a standard entry level fare. They are basically matching QF fares on one of the routes that CX heavily protected yield wise before.
Actually it's just ex-HKG fare / yield was ridiculously high... Nevertheless HK$23K is still more costly than ex-XXX given ex-XXX tickets are usually more flexible than ex-HKG

Also with QF keep upgrading their hardware how CX can continue to charge HK$10K extra for each round trip ticket?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sscywong
Actually it's just ex-HKG fare / yield was ridiculously high... Nevertheless HK$23K is still more costly than ex-XXX given ex-XXX tickets are usually more flexible than ex-HKG

Also with QF keep upgrading their hardware how CX can continue to charge HK$10K extra for each round trip ticket?
Where did you get those HK$13K QF RT J tickets?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
New strategy rollout in 2017

Some 350 of our senior leaders will come together that day....

Source: CX World, December 2016
350 people, which is just part of the senior leadership? I think I know where some cost-cutting could be done.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: QF P1,M&M HON,CX DM,AS MVP,Hyatt DM,SPG G
Well, people all worrying about CX will end partnership with WS/AS in favor of AC?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: QF P1,M&M HON,CX DM,AS MVP,Hyatt DM,SPG G
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
My prediction is that Cathay Dragon will take over CX's regional service with the exception of Japan whilst Cathay Pacific will focus on long haul flying.

It will be a balance between providing premium for upfront and a mix of full service and LCC fares for back end.
No way, KA are not prepared to takeover all regional 777s that CX are currently operating. Especially when CX ordered 5 777-300 from EK and scheduled to deliver in 2018.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mel737
No way, KA are not prepared to takeover all regional 777s that CX are currently operating. Especially when CX ordered 5 777-300 from EK and scheduled to deliver in 2018.
My guess is more secondary cities would be moved from CX to KA...FUK and NGO would most likely follow KUL to KA. CEB, SGN and DPS might follow suit.

I have a flight this Feb to TPE on the KA flight that leaves at 8am, the JCL configuration shows 24J. Does KA currently have a 24J configuration or is this the current CX 33P being transferred to KA?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:58 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sscywong

Yes ex-HKG yield is/wa high, but they could charge it because the market could bear it. Seems like the market won't bear it anymore.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
...I have a flight this Feb to TPE on the KA flight that leaves at 8am, the JCL configuration shows 24J. Does KA currently have a 24J configuration or is this the current CX 33P being transferred to KA?
Yes those are the 33P.
I have been eyeing some HKT flight out in March and some of those seatmap is already showing a 33P config. Maybe an indication that they are going to get more 33P when they are scheduling it this far ahead. Subject to any change of course.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:57 pm

Well, people all worrying about CX will end partnership with WS/AS in favor of AC?
I won't be surprised but it should be a highllu market sensitive information provided that both Air China and cathay pacific are listed companies.
(If it is true, I will buy cathay and sell air china)
I guess this should be highly confidential...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:59 pm

KA are not prepared now and can start preparing.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aus106080
I won't be surprised but it should be a highllu market sensitive information provided that both Air China and cathay pacific are listed companies.
(If it is true, I will buy cathay and sell air china)
I guess this should be highly confidential...
Please note that this image is not from CX or Air China and has been generated by the poster, or from some other source.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sxc
Please note that this image is not from CX or Air China and has been generated by the poster, or from some other source.
OP was just board, i guess. They made similar graphic for VX/AS merger. Fan of cross posting as well on VX/AS side. I wonder what the OP will come up with next (oh and the size is annoying as annoying as well I wish i had a smaller monitor)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.