Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

If you are willing to pay for premium class, why you still need MPC status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

As title.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The ones who really benefit are those who fly premium for work, but economy for personal travel.

Or long haul premium, and short-haul economy for work - there's plenty of these that you see on the HKG-SIN route.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:54 pm

Higher chance to upgrade to F. More luggage allowance. Access F lounge if you fly in J. Bring family and friends to lounge if you fly in J. Choose blocked seats. Just to name some...
Old May 23, 2016, 8:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I was explaining this to my mate yesterday http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post26671485

His long haul business travel is in D/I, but I don't know whether his short haul will be. Also yes the privileges extend to his personal travel as a (untaxable) fringe benefit.
Old May 23, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Long story short, you get more perks as your MPC status elevates, even on top of the benefits in premium class...^
Old May 23, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: QF WP
If you're willing to pay for the premium cabins, you'll probably get status from the flying anyway. Although to name a few extra benefits:

* shorter wait time if you need to call them
* priority during IRROPs. HKG becomes a zoo if a typhoon comes along and cancel flights for 24 hours, and you'll be glad you're in front of the queue ahead of others, taking the first available flight out rather than, say, the third.

Status isn't that useful when things are going well, but it's worth a lot more when things are going wrong.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I believe that OP is making one point, you do get less "extras" being a high tier member when you're flying J or F most of the time.

When I'm flying Y, I will sure arrive airport at least 2 hours before departure to eat a proper meal at the F lounge and skip the meals on board. I will always get a seat with the extra leg room, always board early so I could put the luggage right above me, and extra luggage is always handy.

For people flying J & above, silver status basically would only bring 10KG extra luggage. And I doubt it would be much usefully when traveling for holiday in Y as companions might not have a status at all.

When I'm flying J, really, I don't feel the program would bring me much. F lounge is better than J lounge but that 2 hour difference worth like $50 max. The only reason I would choose a OW J flight over others would be able to credit the miles & club points.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Ausriver
When I'm flying J, really, I don't feel the program would bring me much. F lounge is better than J lounge but that 2 hour difference worth like $50 max. The only reason I would choose a OW J flight over others would be able to credit the miles & club points.
There's also one more benefit with MPC for AM redemptions - you're higher on the redemption list.

I don't manage a GO account to see it really happening. I know DMs gets seats opened, but the extra effort to get to DM is daunting.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
I fly enough that I am going to get top tier on at least one airline without trying, and top tier on two airlines with a bit of trying. Why do I value MP DM status even though I fly a lot in J.

Potential Op-Ups to F
F lounge access
Better service than if no status, both in general and in times when things go off plan
Easier ability to use miles
Higher priority on waitlists

And with the MPC revamp, I am now considering whether to organize travels so to reach 1600 club points and get the upgrade vouchers. 4 LH upgrades is worth a lot to me, if they are easy to book.

Last edited by Jane's Addiction; May 23, 2016 at 11:33 pm
Old May 23, 2016, 9:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The inflight greeting (and the preferential treatment after that) makes a bit of a difference
Old May 23, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I fly enough that I am going to get top tier on at least one airline without trying, and two tier on two airlines with a bit of trying. Why do I value MP DM status even though I fly a lot in J.

Potential Op-Ups to F
F lounge access
Better service than if no status, both in general and in times when things go off plan
Easier ability to use miles
Higher priority on waitlists

And with the MPC revamp, I am now considering whether to organize travels so to reach 1600 club points and get the upgrade vouchers. 4 LH upgrades is worth a lot to me, if they are easy to book.
Agreed with all your points. ^ There is a noticeable difference if you're DM in premium cabin vs. no-stat revenue pax. For example, if I fly J for longhaul with a full cabin, crew will always come and take my meal choice. They will also reserve snacks for me (such as wonton noodles as they only load 8-10 portions on a full-load J cabin of 53 pax). These all seems little things but when you fly on a weekly basis like myself, you'd really appreciate how all these add up.

I have redeemed 2 of my 4 Bookable upgrades already. It was a few clicks on the website and within 10 mins I got a confirmation e-mail and my flights have been rebooked into First (A) fare. It was surprisingly a smooth experience!
Old May 23, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter

I have redeemed 2 of my 4 Bookable upgrades already. It was a few clicks on the website and within 10 mins I got a confirmation e-mail and my flights have been rebooked into First (A) fare. It was surprisingly a smooth experience!

Thanks for the input. I may have to make a run to 1600.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:55 pm

The real high value flyers (regular paid F passengers) typically don't care about status in my limited experience. If you're pushing enough business their way they know who you are regardless of what card you hold.

The ones who do care are the ones who fly premium for work but lower classes for their personal travel, J passengers who like the upgrades and F lounges, or those whose companies make them fly Y regularly.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I work for one of those companies make them fly Y regularly. However I fly most of my personal leisure in J, either paid, or upgrade using points or award booking.

I can recall once on a KA flight, me and my wife couldn't sit together in J as we booked separated, didn't do olci and we arrived the airport very late, they actually opened up the F section just for two of us. Doubt they would do it for non status J pax.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Dedicated call center with no wait. Priority waitlist on rewards. Extra award availability when no award available for lower status. First Class lounge when not flying F. Extra pieces or an additional piece of baggage (or rather they don't even weigh my stuff). Holding check-in open when I'm late to airport. There are so many named and unnamed benefits to having status not afforded otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.