Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

AA competition for CX on the LAX route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA competition for CX on the LAX route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Is AA offering pyjamas in business class?
Yes, PJs, slippers, BOSE headsets, mattress pad, wifi, everything that CX J lacks...
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by maxlmn
Just did HKG-LAX-HKG on AA192 and 193.
The hard product is superior to CX, the addition of bed liner and pyjamas makes it a very good product for sleeping.
Other than that, maybe I am too used to CX service but the attitude of the FA and the service are just awful.
As for the food, I was expecting a step up from the degrading CX J food, but in fact it was barely edible on the HKG-LAX leg (except for the sundae dessert), and just ok on the way back.
Not complaining since the fare is really good and I slept most of the flight both ways.
this is my experience on AA J on the 77W to LHR (haven't flown to HKG yet). Food was meh, but so is CX. Service was atrocious on one AA flight and inattentive (but not blatantly offensive) on another. Even when CX service is bad, I like that I'm clearly the customer and can ask for things directly...on AA, they might legitimately roll their eyes at you. I also get consistently excellent service on CX as a Diamond, and if there are any issues I know I could ultimately escalate to the SP or ISM. (rarely, if ever is this needed). Whereas on AA, I'm pretty sure you're just SOL if service is bad, and the boss person on the plane can't do squat about it. It really is a terrible dynamic. AA service is such that I'm blown away when the service is half-decent.

I also like that CX has started stocking more snacks lately. Plus staff usually proactively save things for DMs anyway, they virtually never run out of what you want. Service on CX is still many many cuts above AA, no matter how much we complain. The customer is still the customer on board. AA, keep dreaming.

If I fly on AA, I'm already expecting service to suck. Basically I'm flying it because the hard product is now very solid, they have wifi, the fare is cheap, and it's nonstop to where I'm going. I'm still not going to go out of my way to fly AA, connect on them, or pay a dime more than the bottom rung price.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Yes, PJs, slippers, BOSE headsets, mattress pad, wifi, everything that CX J lacks...
I prefer CX's duvet and pillow, and think this is an area CX deserves credit and rarely gets it in J. AA provides the mattress pad but CX duvet is superior, and so is pillow IMO. Plus if the CX flight isn't' full you can snag an extra duvet and use it as a mattress pad, which is about as thick as AA's anyway. Anyway, I really like CX's recently upgraded duvets.

This is a personal preference, but I don't care about PJs or headphones because I bring my own of each. Agree on slippers tho; for some reason I categorize this different from PJs, I wouldn't mind getting slippers onboard and just leaving them behind (like JL, QR, etc), because I hate bringing my own pair from home, wrapping them up, bringing them out on the plane, etc. I always bring my own slippers to CX flights. I think it comes down to I'm much more picky to what I wear (I don't like PJs in F either, inevitably they're cheap material and far less comfortable than what I can bring on board), but don't care as much about the slippers, and would like to just dispose of them each flight. Not exactly environmentally friendly but....

Wifi, totally agree. CX is behind the ball here. I wonder if during the next round of D checks for the 77Ws / 33E / 33K they'll install it. I sure hope so. Because the fleet is going to be really bifurcated, especially to Europe and Australasia, where A359 will be competing regularly with B77W or A333.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Wifi, totally agree. CX is behind the ball here. I wonder if during the next round of D checks for the 77Ws / 33E / 33K they'll install it. I sure hope so. Because the fleet is going to be really bifurcated, especially to Europe and Australasia, where A359 will be competing regularly with B77W or A333.
I thought I had read somewhere (probably CX World) about two years ago that the later 777s are already wi-fi equipped, but they just need to enable it after the regulatory approvals were granted. The iPads and duty free terminals I believe are online to the CX network - duty free specifically to reduce credit card fraud.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
I thought I had read somewhere (probably CX World) about two years ago that the later 777s are already wi-fi equipped, but they just need to enable it after the regulatory approvals were granted. The iPads and duty free terminals I believe are online to the CX network - duty free specifically to reduce credit card fraud.
Heheh over at the BA forum one use of the wifi was suggested to do BoB
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
this would be awesome if true! I have no idea.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
The antenna boxes for the 777 are on the roof above Door 2 or Door 4 (Door 4 in CX's case). All the newer deliveries have it, and some of the older ones do too e.g KPA does, but KPB and KPC don't.

Of course, just because they have the boxes doesn't mean there's anything connected under there.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
No USA airport is set up for non-US citizens transiting, unfortunately. I'm fortunate to be an American passport holder with Global Entry (expedited entry in a similar idea to Hong Kong e-channel, though different in execution). It is normally smooth sailing for me, but still a pain to go through immigration, pick up checked bags, go through customs, recheck bags, then have to deal with TSA when the large, high international transit volume airports in the vast majority of other countries are much easier. I can only imagine it being much worse for those not carrying an American passport.

Probably as the vast, vast, vast majority of Americans don't know of Ctrip, and AA can hold margins on fares sold to Americans that way but still fill seats.
I know this is OT - but I saw the posts about ctrip and now my interest is piqued. Just curious though - how do you find out the fare class prior to purchase? For example ctrip sells one way tickets from the US to London for $600 or so on AA - is there a way to find out if these earn miles? AA.com of course will only sell full-fare one-way tix to Europe on their website. No thank you, not paying over 2 grand for an economy class ticket to London.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I know this is OT - but I saw the posts about ctrip and now my interest is piqued. Just curious though - how do you find out the fare class prior to purchase? For example ctrip sells one way tickets from the US to London for $600 or so on AA - is there a way to find out if these earn miles? AA.com of course will only sell full-fare one-way tix to Europe on their website. No thank you, not paying over 2 grand for an economy class ticket to London.
Seeing the fare class is easy on Wing On's website. Just click on "Flight Details" and for the Business Class fare it shows "I." I called Ctrip and the agent confirmed it was "I," as did an agent when I rang Elong.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Also just been told that HX is launching HKG-LAX daily direct service from July 2017. We will have more choices.

They are also starting HKG - HNL (4x weekly) and HKG - LAS (3x weekly) and a few more longhaul destination in the pipeline. Great for pax as we have more choices.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Also just been told that HX is launching HKG-LAX daily direct service from July 2017. We will have more choices.

They are also starting HKG - HNL (4x weekly) and HKG - LAS (3x weekly) and a few more longhaul destination in the pipeline. Great for pax as we have more choices.
Wow, presumably they'll use the a350s they have on order?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Wow, presumably they'll use the a350s they have on order?
I believe so. Also on the list are London Gatwick, Prague, Athens, Christchurch via Canberra. All of these routes they have already submitted to the relevant authorities for regulatory approval with flights #. Looks like they are really stepping themselves up to compete with CX!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jiaotze
Seeing the fare class is easy on Wing On's website. Just click on "Flight Details" and for the Business Class fare it shows "I." I called Ctrip and the agent confirmed it was "I," as did an agent when I rang Elong.
Doesn't seem as though WingOn has an English website And for the itinerary I was looking, clicking "flight details" did not show the fare class.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I think AA will definitely win my business!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:44 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
The fare is just SO TEMPTING but I'm looking at the flight out of LAX on 27.9. Delayed 15 hours! 4 major delays and two cancellations since the 7th Sept. As a result, the HKG-DFW is delayed.

From fellow FT member @prw555

9/13 - cancelled
9/17 - cancelled
9/18 - moved to 9/19 at 9.51am
9/21 - 3.08pm
9/26 - 3.11am
9/27 - TBD, scheduled for 5pm

Also, ctrip states only 2 pieces at 23kg each for baggage allowance in J (read it in both English and Chinese)? Perhaps they didn't update that part.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Sep 27, 2016 at 12:41 pm Reason: added content
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by 77W_12A
The fare is just SO TEMPTING but I'm looking at the flight out of LAX on 27.9. Delayed 15 hours! 4 major delays and two cancellations since the 7th Sept. As a result, the HKG-DFW is delayed.

From fellow FT member @prw555

9/13 - cancelled
9/17 - cancelled
9/18 - moved to 9/19 at 9.51am
9/21 - 3.08pm
9/26 - 3.11am
9/27 - TBD, scheduled for 5pm

Also, ctrip states only 2 pieces at 23kg each for baggage allowance in J (read it in both English and Chinese)? Perhaps they didn't update that part.
For flights that have considerable delays, AA will, if asked, re-book you on another carrier in the class ticketed. Indeed, the delays are a pain while AA tries to work out the logistics of maximizing the use of its aircraft.

I called AA about the baggage allowance, and the allowance is based on AA's own rules for Business Class, so discard what Ctrip states. If you are a OW Emerald, you'll get 3 bags of up to 70 lbs each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.