Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

AA competition for CX on the LAX route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA competition for CX on the LAX route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
"I expect that AA doesn't serve a mid flight full meal service too!"

I would actually call that a benefit, AA food is probably something Ryanair would pay their passengers to eat to make them suffer more.

Everything on AA is not "beef or chicken?" but how much do you like cheese? Why is AA addicted to cheese?

But then I avoid eating on planes no matter what the class, or length of journey, but that is just me.

Nicc HK
Would the Hindu meal be an upgrade on AA?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Took AA from HKG-DFW for the first time in August in J. For the most part was nice - hard product good but soft not so much. Food way worse than CX and when I asked if they had espresso answer was "sorry first class only"... Seriously?

CX service can't be beat. The amount of F booze I've consumed whilst sitting in J (after asking politely of course) is unbelievable. And this was just an espresso...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Spotted from expertflyer: CX has added codeshares on AA 192/193.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by ajhira
Took AA from HKG-DFW for the first time in August in J. For the most part was nice - hard product good but soft not so much. Food way worse than CX and when I asked if they had espresso answer was "sorry first class only"... Seriously?

CX service can't be beat. The amount of F booze I've consumed whilst sitting in J (after asking politely of course) is unbelievable. And this was just an espresso...
I've never asked, but have been offered (just a couple of times) booze from a class up over the years.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Would the Hindu meal be an upgrade on AA?
I would love to hear if anyone has experienced this. I always order the Indian vegetarian meal on SQ when in economy as it means getting served dinner well ahead of everyone else. But a Texas-based airline serving this...
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by KACommuter
I would love to hear if anyone has experienced this. I always order the Indian vegetarian meal on SQ when in economy as it means getting served dinner well ahead of everyone else. But a Texas-based airline serving this...
I've had the Japanese meal on AA in business going to and from NRT. It was good in both directions, despite being served by a Texas-based airline .
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I've had the Japanese meal on AA in business going to and from NRT. It was good in both directions, despite being served by a Texas-based airline .
So have I. In fact AA's catering ex-NRT is very good by any standard. But Indian vegetarian ex-NRT on an airline based in meat eating territory requires some courage to order.

Last edited by KACommuter; Sep 30, 2016 at 6:24 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Seems like AA is putting the pressure on CX on other routes: JFK, ORD, SFO...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-schedule.html
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192

All not non-direct flights. Most are connected via LAX. The experience is really poor if you are not a US citizen.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Aus106080
All not non-direct flights. Most are connected via LAX. The experience is really poor if you are not a US citizen.
LAX port entry is better than DFW. With APC, most non-citizens are almost as close to getting GE anyway.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I have been seeing some cheap fares pop up in my browser recently....clearly targeted ads by AA. They always seem to display economy ads to me, so this missed the mark, but the general gist is "cheap cheap cheap!"

Recent ones I recall:
BOS: 7k USD
PHL: 6k USD
Washington DC: 3.8k USD (!!!!!)

There is small text at the bottom of these ads saying "connecting via our LAX gateway" or something to that extent.

DC seemed darn cheap. although BOS seemed way off the mark (can you imagine paying the same fare to connect Y class on AA via LAX to a domestic redeye, vs CX nonstop??? I'm guessing maybe only if you MUST go on a day the CX flight isn't running, before it goes daily).

No matter what, the message I get is AA is competing. They may have just discovered what an insanely high yielding (and good deal starved) market HK is.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by dkc192

About time CX had some real competition on the route ^
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:17 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I have been seeing some cheap fares pop up in my browser recently....clearly targeted ads by AA. They always seem to display economy ads to me, so this missed the mark, but the general gist is "cheap cheap cheap!"

Recent ones I recall:
BOS: 7k USD
PHL: 6k USD
Washington DC: 3.8k USD (!!!!!)

There is small text at the bottom of these ads saying "connecting via our LAX gateway" or something to that extent.

DC seemed darn cheap. although BOS seemed way off the mark (can you imagine paying the same fare to connect Y class on AA via LAX to a domestic redeye, vs CX nonstop??? I'm guessing maybe only if you MUST go on a day the CX flight isn't running, before it goes daily).

No matter what, the message I get is AA is competing. They may have just discovered what an insanely high yielding (and good deal starved) market HK is.
Assume you mean HKD not USD? Otherwise they're really expensive economy fares!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Spotted from expertflyer: CX has added codeshares on AA 192/193.
Still have not seen CX code on AA192/193
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by sxc
Assume you mean HKD not USD? Otherwise they're really expensive economy fares!
Haha yes, HKD!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.