Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

AA competition for CX on the LAX route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA competition for CX on the LAX route

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tsz
While eVIPs are certainly valuable perks for EXPs, I must say that's not necessary the case for the DFW-HKG route, which is a upgrade nightmare because of the high % of paying pax.

Of course, I don't know if we can say the same about the LAX-HKG route.

I do think Wi-Fi on AA has the potential to attract corporate flyers, esp. if prices are comparable.
Exactly-from HKG, I have resorted to routing via Japan as I can clear far easier that way.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
And assuming this fare to JFK is via LAX then you will earn same club points (75 + 25 points) as if you're taking CX (100 points in I/D fare). So one can fly to JFK twice with AA for the price of one roundtrip tix with CX (and that has to be on CX888/889 as the other nonstop direct options are usually priced at close to $100k if I remember correctly).
Not only that, if you're EXP and fly HKG-LAX-JFK posting miles to AA, you get the 2015 Promotion Bonus (extended into 2016) of 12K miles on each of those LAX/JFK flights in premium cabins in addition to the 12K you get for HKG/LAX. So on a roundtrip, it's 48K additional bonus points!!

Originally Posted by sxc
Yes I saw non stops to JFK for the same dates at around $87k. One caveat is that the AA fare only allows you to go via LAX on either inbound or outbound. The other leg has to go via DFW.
That may be AOK. See above comment.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
No chance in hell I would pay for AA's F.
I had the same position until AA started offering F ex-ICN for a little more than USD $3K roundtrip. The routing is either ICN-DFW-xxx or ICN-NRT-LAX-xxx. I did that pretty much monthly on my commute last year.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I had the same position until AA started offering F ex-ICN for a little more than USD $3K roundtrip. The routing is either ICN-DFW-xxx or ICN-NRT-LAX-xxx. I did that pretty much monthly on my commute last year.
What?!?! That's a helluva deal! Does it still exist? For $3k, my heavens.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I just searched and to jfk still exists. Twist is that from DFW onwards its domestic first class.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by sxc
I just searched and to jfk still exists. Twist is that from DFW onwards its domestic first class.
I checked too but they're using the older 777-200ER on ICN-DFW route FYI with 16 F..yikes!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It does.

Originally Posted by sxc
Not only that, if DFW is your destination the ticket can be a couple of hundred more than anywhere else in the U.S.

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I checked too but they're using the older 777-200ER on ICN-DFW route FYI with 16 F..yikes!
Correct. It's not that bad, though. And most of the non-HKG TPAC flights on AA metal are 772s (777-200 ERs, actually). Especially at that price.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: CX SL
I am going to fly this new route in J in 2 weeks, soon after the launch. Will report on how it compares with CX.
Any idea why my booking is not showing in my Marco Polo account MMB ? Usually my QR flights do so why not AA.
Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by maxlmn
I am going to fly this new route in J in 2 weeks, soon after the launch. Will report on how it compares with CX.
Any idea why my booking is not showing in my Marco Polo account MMB ? Usually my QR flights do so why not AA.
Thanks!
Because AA doesn't use Amadeus as their booking system. Only Amadeus bookings will appear.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting...I noticed that AA is/was recently giving away F fares LAX-HKG. Either they have unsold seats coming up, or they are trying to entice those who may consider CX or other carriers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-hkg-f-4k.html
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:21 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Here are some stats since AA launched this flight on 7 September. It has been cancelled twice and delayed in excess of 6 hours three times. The flight that was supposed to depart on 21 September from LAX is delayed to a 15:00 departure.

If AA continues to have on time departure issues, CX has nothing to worry about out of LAX.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by 77W_12A
Here are some stats since AA launched this flight on 7 September. It has been cancelled twice and delayed in excess of 6 hours three times. The flight that was supposed to depart on 21 September from LAX is delayed to a 15:00 departure.

If AA continues to have on time departure issues, CX has nothing to worry about out of LAX.
Does anyone know why the AA flights got cancelled?
This is certainly not a good start...
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:32 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by agjil
Does anyone know why the AA flights got cancelled?
This is certainly not a good start...
I know one went mechanical.

As far as the one that was scheduled to depart on 21.9, the incoming flight was diverted to SFO for a medical situation. The plane didn't arrive LAX until 2:30 AM.

It had originally been pushed back to a 2:50 AM departure. Then it became a 4 AM scheduled departure. 4 AM became 9:30 AM. Now, it's a 3 PM departure.

I'm guessing the crew became illegal.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by maxlmn
Thanks!
It probably won't be any different from HKG DFW. I flew that in the summer, and the flight was fine. As others have commented, the hard product is nearly identical, with the plus of wifi if you want it. The soft product is inferior (and in fact it is inferior to the AA soft product ex-Japan). Food is the same as CX, but FA's are as expected.

Transit in DFW is another matter...
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I did both over the summer. I'd do HKG/NRT/JFK again any time as value for money was excellent. But not HKG/DFW/... as DFW is not set up for non-US citizens transiting. I missed my onward flight.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by 77W_12A

I'm sure they'll iron out the bugs, and suspect CX prices will drift lower over the next 6 months. There are bound to be defections so CX yield will drop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.