Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
CitiPremier and HKD O-seas spending

2 questions here...
1. Is the CitiPremier charging 2% off the spot rate? In this case I would hardly care where my money goes when I'm overseas between cash and card.
2. Does anyone know about the FX rate foreign retailers give? I was in Selfrides last Xmas and was surprised when they quoted me a HKD transaction. Instinct: No thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kchika
christep, on what products from PCCW do you earn miles? I earn a couple of odd miles every month (which I believe is from my landline). There's also the miles from 1010 ClubBest which gets posted every few months or so...
Originally Posted by christep
While we are on the subject, I was a bit miffed to see that PCCW No.1 points are going out to 15:1AM soon. They were 10:1AM when I first started.
I think everyone can earn 12HKD to 1 miles (for gold member HKD 300+ per month spending) and 24 HKD for 1 miles on PCCW (for silver member, HKD 90+ per month)

Applicable on any Electronics (exclude mobile phone ? ), landline, IDD, broadband, broadband TV

Not Applicable on PCCW mobile

For Broadband you have to opt-in for No. 1 Club in order to earn miles there, or else you earn NetCash. For a reminder, I just got a letter saying they are changing to 15 No.1 points to 1 miles (eqv 15HKD for Gold member and 30 HKD for Silver member)

For more details http://www.pccw.com/eng/Products/For.../No.1Club.html

In addition you can apply for their No. 1 Club Visa to earn some small amount of miles as welcome offer

Last edited by ChrisLi; Feb 24, 2009 at 6:22 am Reason: edit min spend information
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:14 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
new DBS Black and Citibank PremierMiles promos

a couple of new promos...

DBS Black
  • Feb 15 - Jul 31, 2009
  • Every HKD 24,000 spending would make you eligible to exchange 48,000 points (i.e. earned from the HKD 24,000 spending) for 5,000 Asia Miles (i.e. HKD 4.8 = 1 mile); up to a limit of 20,000 miles
  • If I understand this right (this point not mentioned explicitly): it seems like this HKD 24,000 can also be overseas spending, in this case you actually will get 72,000 points if it's all overseas, and you can exchange 48,000 points into 5,000 miles and have the remaining 24,000 points exchangeable into 2,000 miles under normal rate - so overall HKD 24,000 overseas spending = 7,000 miles, or HKD 3.43 = 1 mile

Citibank PremierMiles
  • seems customized target spending level
  • 3 periods: Feb 21 - Mar 31; Apr 1-30; May 1-31
  • examples of target spending levels in each period: Level 1: HKD 6,000; Level 2: HKD 8,000; Level 3: HKD 11,000
  • examples of extra incentives in each period: Level 1: 7,700 points; Level 2: 14,000 points; Level 3: 24,000 points
  • together with the base HKD 1 = 1.5 points earning, Level 1 would be HKD 6,000 = 16,700 points = 1,392 miles (i.e. HKD 4.31 = 1 mile); Level 2: HKD 3.69 = 1 mile; Level 3: HKD 3.26 = 1 mile
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
@kchika,

Everything except PCCW Mobile. So landline, 0060, 001, Netvigator, NOW TV, and purchases from PCCW shops. I've recently moved my (well, primarily Mrs PDLM's) IDD spending back to 0060 (not for the miles per se - they had a good offer on our primary calling destinations) so I'm spending perhaps $800-$1000/month with them.

The 15:1 conversion for Gold members kicks in on 1 April (from the current 12:1, previously 10:1). This is being matched by some other offers (e.g. HSBC credit cards). I can only assume that CPLP has put the price of AsiaMiles up.

I did get nearly 40,000 AMs a while back by purchasing a Sony Bravia TV from their shop at a price that was slightly better than the other big chains - they had a special on "1 AM per HK$ if you double your spending with PCCW over a 3 month average" at the point where I needed a new TV.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by kaka
2 questions here...
1. Is the CitiPremier charging 2% off the spot rate? In this case I would hardly care where my money goes when I'm overseas between cash and card.
2. Does anyone know about the FX rate foreign retailers give? I was in Selfrides last Xmas and was surprised when they quoted me a HKD transaction. Instinct: No thanks!
1. Yes, 2% off spot has been my experience on the CitiPremier card.

2. Don't touch them. In most cases the exchange rate is awful(*), and, even if it isn't, for many cards (e.g. CitiPremier) you will lose the double miles bonus.

(*)I was quoted a rate at the Lilianfels Hotel in the Blue Mountains which was more than 10% off spot, which is amongst a number of reasons for me having no desire to go back to a place laughingly claiming to be one of the best hotels in the world.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:18 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Completely agree with christep that if you travel often this is not a good idea to let the merchant convert for you. Depending on the card issuer, some issuers STILL charge you a conversion fee on overseas transactions even if they are billed in HKD--I believe Citi in the US does this (not sure about Hong Kong). This "convenience" is most convenient for the merchant and bank, not for the poor consumer!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep
1. Yes, 2% off spot has been my experience on the CitiPremier card.

2. Don't touch them. In most cases the exchange rate is awful(*), and, even if it isn't, for many cards (e.g. CitiPremier) you will lose the double miles bonus.

(*)I was quoted a rate at the Lilianfels Hotel in the Blue Mountains which was more than 10% off spot, which is amongst a number of reasons for me having no desire to go back to a place laughingly claiming to be one of the best hotels in the world.
Thanks, the 1% extra off spot can easily covered by the doubled miles!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Got my DBS Black and Platinum Cards. The limit is even higher than that given by HSBC and Citibank PremierMiles

The Welcome Offer I am enjoying from the DBS Black Card is the old one:
1. Spending of HK$2,500 in the first 3 mths = 48,000 bonus pts = 4,000 miles
2. Spending of HK$20,000 in the first 3 mths = 72,000 bonus pts = 6,000 miles. If all are overseas spending, then I will get additional 60,000 bonus pts, combined = 132,000 bonus pts = 11,000 miles.

The new ones offer 12,000 miles also with $20,000 of overseas spending in the first 4 mths.

I guess I will use the DBS Black Card for ticket purchases up to HK$20,000 via CX Taiwan (since they are extending the Business Class Value Fares starting early March). If the 20,000 is used up, then I will use the SCB Amex. The Citi Premier and CX Amex will not be used first at the moment
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Cathay Pacific online booking bonus

Does the bonus only on basic fare or including surcharges?

How would they credit the miles? Seperate Entry to AM account like the old CX Citi Visa or including in the miles transaction of CX AMEX?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Yup....plus the fact that SCB will only convert 12 bonus pts to 1 miles if you transfer over 10,000 miles; plus the conversion fee of $100 or $150 if I am not wrong.
If having lots of overseas spending, I guess they could convert together with the local spending at a cost of HKD 100/150? So why not only carrying SCB AMEX? (after using all your DBS welcome offer)

Last edited by ny911; Feb 26, 2009 at 12:29 pm
Old Feb 26, 2009, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ny911
If having lots of overseas spending, I guess they could convert together with the local spending at a cost of HKD 100/150? So why not only carrying SCB AMEX? (after using all your DBS welcome offer)
That's what I am going to do. I think the DBS one will be used up to buy the J-class Value Fares tix ex-TPE (the promo will begin again early March).
Old Feb 26, 2009, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by ny911
Does the bonus only on basic fare or including surcharges?

How would they credit the miles? Seperate Entry to AM account like the old CX Citi Visa or including in the miles transaction of CX AMEX?
It's like the old CX Citi Visa card, with separate entry to AM. So far, the amount credited to my Asia Miles exceeded that calculated by the total fare (by a little bit) divided by 8. Just to give an illustration, I purchased a H-class tix to PVG at a cost of HK$3,615. By right, I should receive around 451 miles. It turns out that the actual amount credited is 466 miles.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I've had the same experience as MilesBuzz. Thought about following it up to find out why but never bothered in the end.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:19 pm

It's like the old CX Citi Visa card, with separate entry to AM. So far, the amount credited to my Asia Miles exceeded that calculated by the total fare (by a little bit) divided by 8. Just to give an illustration, I purchased a H-class tix to PVG at a cost of HK$3,615. By right, I should receive around 451 miles. It turns out that the actual amount credited is 466 miles.
The reason I am asking is,after adding up total miles our account earned is more than the one I calculated according to the e-statement. Myself,as a supp card holder,purchasing a ticket on cx.com once only,if counting this online bonus (excluding surcharges),then the total miles earned is very close to the right one,but suppose supp card holder would not get any online bonus. So confusing here.....
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:20 pm

That's what I am going to do. I think the DBS one will be used up to buy the J-class Value Fares tix ex-TPE (the promo will begin again early March).

Even with 1 long haul normal ex-TPE I class would use up the quota.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.