Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX catering in F – better to fly JL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

It's been a few years since I've flown CX in F, and the highlight was the Balik salmon and quality caviar.

It seems that they have really downgraded the catering lately, and I'm wondering if it would be better to fly JL F instead from LAX.

This would cause me to have a longer connecting flight to BKK in J on a 787 from NRT.

Do you think it's worth it?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
They still have pretty good caviar. I forgot if I had salmon last time.

Is the reason for you to choose JL over CX only for the salmon and caviar ? I don't know what JL has. Do they offer kaiseki or something similar? Personally I like good catering, but I do not choose airlines based on it.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Jan 22, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
They still have pretty good caviar. I forgot if I had salmon last time.

Is the reason for you to choose JL over CX only for the salmon and caviar ?
Sep 14 - no balik salmon. Oh well if they have to cut something out they might as well cut that - I can buy a small portion from CitySuper for not much money (certainly less money than the caviar)

I would love to fly JL in F though. Particularly on a daytime flight from Japan to HK. Even with their crazy YQ. Too bad they don't release awards on the public holidays that I usually use to fly short-haul.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by macabus
It's been a few years since I've flown CX in F, and the highlight was the Balik salmon and quality caviar.
It seems that they have really downgraded the catering lately, and I'm wondering if it would be better to fly JL F instead from LAX.
This would cause me to have a longer connecting flight to BKK in J on a 787 from NRT. Do you think it's worth it?
It's been a year since my last CX flights and 4 months since JL (NRT-LAX). Unless CX has seriously downgraded food in the last year, I would choose CX in a heartbeat. CX hard product and IFE are far superior.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 22, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I don't know what JL has. Do they offer kaiseki or something similar? Personally I like good catering, but I do not choose airlines based on it.
I think they do. Kaka's shown me photos of it. I've referred this thread to him for confirmation/clarification.

Personally for Japan-HK flights I would love to spend it on a long meal. On LH I'd just sleep.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I would love to fly JL in F though. Particularly on a daytime flight from Japan to HK. Even with their crazy YQ. Too bad they don't release awards on the public holidays that I usually use to fly short-haul.
OP's interests seem to be on catering on the long-haul side...
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:36 pm

I think they do. Kaka's shown me photos of it. I've referred this thread to him for confirmation/clarification.

Personally for Japan-HK flights I would love to spend it on a long meal. On LH I'd just sleep.
Yes, it would be nice to enjoy kaiseki (or a shortened version) on a short haul/regional flight.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
It's been a year since my last CX flights and 4 months since JL (NRT-LAX). Unless CX has seriously downgraded food in the last year, I would choose CX in a heartbeat. CX hard product and IFE are far superior.
I've read several reports that CX has dropped the Balik salmon and downgraded the caviar.

I'm a huge fan of Salon and Dom Champagne which JL serves in F. Not crazy about the Krug on CX.

I have had excellent catering out of NRT on JL in F, so I'm a bit biased.

What was it about the JL flight from NRT-LAX that you were disappointed with?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:41 pm

Would JL cater differently for Long Haul F?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Sep 14 - no balik salmon[/URL]. Oh well if they have to cut something out they might as well cut that - I can buy a small portion from CitySuper for not much money (certainly less money than the caviar)
The Tsar Nikolaj Balik Salmon that CX used to serve in F cost about $200 per pound.

This was not ordinary smoked salmon.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:53 pm

macabus: I know. But you can buy a taster from CitySuper for $300 (well, 4 years ago) - there're four pieces in it but that's enough to me/missus.

http://preprod.blk.balik.ch/balik-fi...olaj-sky-snack

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 22, 2015 at 8:00 pm
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
The caviar is no beluga or osetra, but it's still pretty good for plane food.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:00 pm

All of FT is one giant complaint, and I have done my part by complaining about CX food (mediocre) and the loss of salmon. But when push comes to shove, why would anyone select a longer itinerary just for the food? That would be crazy.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
All of FT is one giant complaint, and I have done my part by complaining about CX food (mediocre) and the loss of salmon. But when push comes to shove, why would anyone select a longer itinerary just for the food? That would be crazy.
I'm contemplating to fly just for an airborne kaiseki. Too bad I can't have a JL/NH mixed redemption.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
But when push comes to shove, why would anyone select a longer itinerary just for the food? That would be crazy.
Flight length from LAX-BKK is the same on both.

IMHO, the catering, service and hard product has consistently been superior on JL.

I'm just looking for reasons to switch from CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.