Wiki Posts
Search

DM Waitlist Priority Overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
DM Waitlist Priority Overrated?

One of my relatives became a DM a few months ago and I generally manage their travel bookings. But I find that the waitlisting priority offered to DM is not really worth much and waitlists don't clear very easily at all.

For example, I'm trying to book a flight from BOM-HKG and on 12/13/14 January 2015, all 3 days have waitlisted CX684 in I class and nothing is clearing. From what I can tell, the flights are pretty light. So what use is the DM waitlist clearing priority? Is it overrated?

Does anyone else have this experience?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by midlevels
One of my relatives became a DM a few months ago and I generally manage their travel bookings. But I find that the waitlisting priority offered to DM is not really worth much and waitlists don't clear very easily at all.

For example, I'm trying to book a flight from BOM-HKG and on 12/13/14 January 2015, all 3 days have waitlisted CX684 in I class and nothing is clearing. From what I can tell, the flights are pretty light. So what use is the DM waitlist clearing priority? Is it overrated?

Does anyone else have this experience?
Based on an old conversation I had with a pretty good and experienced MPO agent: DM waitlist just guarantees that when seats are release you're the first to get it, it doesn't guarantee that you get it faster or earlier.

CX has a habit of not releasing seats, even when it's very light, until the last minute. So yes, they like to make you sweat.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:34 am

Strictly speaking it is the computer that automatically releases award inventory into the system after doing continuous scans on the load factor of each specific flight. This typically happens roughly 3-4 weeks from the flight except for peak seasons such as CNY or the week before Xmas. I've had the privilege of speaking with a CX general sales manager not too long ago who confirmed that this is how it works, he even went ahead to comment that the system is sometimes too generous in releasing award seats, and CX control end up having to pull those seats from the inventory bucket.

Since the release of award seats are automated by the system, it is no surprise that those who click on award searches on cx.com at the right time may leapfrog others who have been on the waitlist for months. I guess this is when KVS and expertflyer comes in handy since you are notified instantly when awards are released.

And if this any interest to you, he did also say that CX will manually search for award inventory for its DMs. How often does this happen? Nobody knows for sure.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
In my experience, my WL on HKG-LAX-HKG "I" class are often waitlisted in my preferred flight (night one from HK to LAX) and have always cleared 2 to 3 days before.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum (For Life), Royal Orchid Sliver
I have continuously waitlisted for I class seats, despite being a DM for 9 years, the only way I seem to be able to clear the waitlists is to set up alerts in Expert Flyer, and then having to phone MPC to clear the waitlist when Expertflyer shows I class availability, perhaps this has now changed with the new CIV system.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Siamstationed
I have continuously waitlisted for I class seats, despite being a DM for 9 years, the only way I seem to be able to clear the waitlists is to set up alerts in Expert Flyer, and then having to phone MPC to clear the waitlist when Expertflyer shows I class availability, perhaps this has now changed with the new CIV system.
Won't work for me, as ExpertFlyer is showing I availability on all these flights (and plenty of it). But I guess EF shows US POS and with HK POS, they don't release any seats.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Won't work for me, as ExpertFlyer is showing I availability on all these flights (and plenty of it). But I guess EF shows US POS and with HK POS, they don't release any seats.
Likely the case...

Once when Flightstat still offer sub-class availability, I keep seeing D5 I2 or so for CX391, but CX never clear my D class swap from KA901 (yes, TW D )
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:57 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

You may also try the available UK POS for your search (click on Advanced Options to see the option) as it may show results closer to your POS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.