Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Waitlist redemption minimum to flight date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt

I'm trying to upgrade and the flight is basically full. I want to be put on the wait list for an upgrade award, but I was told I can't be put on the wait list because my flight is in three days.

Is there really this limit or are the agents pulling my leg?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
This is true, although it's dumb of them given that other airlines can waitlist right up to departure. If you had been on a waitlist before, it would cancel a couple days before the flight.

Your options are to call in from time to time over the next couple days, or to try your luck with an instant upgrade at the airport.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:44 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
On the site it does say "Waitlist flights are available for booking up to 4 days before scheduled departure time of your outbound journey. Please change date and search again." when you try to create a waitlist online.

Most of my waitlists expire at that point so I think the agent is correct.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Okay I see. I only booked the flight this morning, so I guess I don't qualify for the wait list.

The agent did I should call back from time to time, but looking at the load right now I don't think my chances are that high.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Never say never. I've had luck before in similar situations calling in.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by alphaod
Okay I see. I only booked the flight this morning, so I guess I don't qualify for the wait list.

The agent did I should call back from time to time, but looking at the load right now I don't think my chances are that high.
Even if you were on the waitlist, you would be taken off the waitlist by the deadline.

I did an upgrade waitlist for my wife several years ago, hoping I would get her an upgrade with my status (DM). It expired four days before ETD, and I was not able to waitlist anymore. However, she got the upgrade the next day, even with her own status (SL).

So don't give up yet.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
You never know, but keep checking. If you see if available for redemption then you can call in and secure the upgrade.

On one of my flights it cleared right before departure:
- Waitlist Expired
- No Availability opened up (flights pretty fully)
- Checked w/ In-Town check in 6 hours to flight (No Availability)
- Upgrade Cleared 1.5 Hours to flight at HKIA - I asked again at the CX Lounge, Last J Seat on the plane. Turns out they needed more seats in PY, it's possible I could have been op-up but it seemed pretty elite heavy. I'm sure there was probably another DM on the flight that would have gotten it over me.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Seat just opened up and was able to upgrade. All is good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.