Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Upgrade Priorities / "CIV" score

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Upgrade Priorities / "CIV" score

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by nsolitude
I have to say that I got my first upgrade to F from LAX three weeks ago--got called out at the gate. Not the best service, but I did sleep well. :P
nice!
Old May 24, 2015, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Apart from upgrade priority (which is a ground function), does anyone know whether the pax seating list given to cabin crew distinguishes between OW Emerald and CX Diamond?
Old May 24, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Apart from upgrade priority (which is a ground function), does anyone know whether the pax seating list given to cabin crew distinguishes between OW Emerald and CX Diamond?
Yes, it will say DM next to pax name as in DM, GO, SL; for OW elites it says EM, SP, RB. But that was the old system, not sure the recent upgrades in their systems change anything...
Old May 24, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Yes, it will say DM next to pax name as in DM, GO, SL; for OW elites it says EM, SP, RB. But that was the old system, not sure the recent upgrades in their systems change anything...
Thanks. I asked because I've been texting with a relatively junior cabin crew member I met on a flight a few nights ago (no, not that, -- it's a long story). I've told her on several occasions to call me by my first name, not Dr. HFH, which request she has ignored. Yesterday, she finally replied on point and said, "But you are our Diamond member." I'm not, of course, -- I'm OWE based on AA EXP. I'm not even a member of MCP at all.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:29 pm

Yesterday, she finally replied on point and said, "But you are our Diamond member." I'm not, of course, -- I'm OWE based on AA EXP. I'm not even a member of MCP at all.
DM vs OWE, GO vs Sapphire, etc is still distinguished differently on manifest / PIL given to the crew. However, sometimes the crew are lazy and just use the MPC codes for the handwritten lists or seatmaps posted in the galleys. Usually the senior crew in each cabin will place a list of recognition pax either as a separate sticky or on the seatmap. It will (virtually) always includes DM, usually OWE and GO, etc. Occasionally they just write OWE as DM, Sapphire as GO, etc.

The person who transcribed from PIL to the handwritten list / seatmap will know the difference. But nobody else will have any idea since theyre going off what was alreasy transcribedt.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I was told my daughter was upgraded from PEY to J on her way back to US. She hasn't landed so I do not know the details. It is not her birthday (not even close), not her MPC anniversary (< 2 years), not at any milestone, and she is only Marco Polo Green. There are usually a few DMs, GOs and SLs on CX872. I have no idea how CIV works.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Yeah it's a confusing system.

My evening flight was cancelled/severely delayed, so I was moved to the next flight. Then right before boarding time a bunch of people, even with no status got upgrades.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod

My evening flight was cancelled/severely delayed, so I was moved to the next flight. Then right before boarding time a bunch of people, even with no status got upgrades.
Where to?

In the case of my daughter, my other daughter who is still in HKG told me her sister got upgraded. So I believed she got upgraded at check-in about 2.5 hours before ETD.

Last edited by cxfan1960; May 25, 2015 at 3:43 pm Reason: Add my daughter's situation.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Thanks. I asked because I've been texting with a relatively junior cabin crew member I met on a flight a few nights ago (no, not that, -- it's a long story). I've told her on several occasions to call me by my first name, not Dr. HFH, which request she has ignored. Yesterday, she finally replied on point and said, "But you are our Diamond member." I'm not, of course, -- I'm OWE based on AA EXP. I'm not even a member of MCP at all.
Never had any success in getting a member of the crew call me by my first name...lol
Old May 25, 2015, 7:49 pm

Oh man, the last few days were a mess. My suspicion is this weekend upgrades were more a function of damage control than CIV (I've also heard it called "CIS" at an outport I think?). What a disaster at HKIA! Just getting so unlucky with the endless lightning strikes around the field. Planes are out of position, tons of flights delayed or cancelled, missed connections galore, and lots of pax needing accomodating. I feel "lucky" that, despite two flight cancellations this weekend and delays for both my rebooked flights, I was only delayed a combined 3 hours. Times like that I really have to tip my hat to CX because I felt very little pain as a DM despite the chaos at HKIA (which seems to be continuing today, fyi...).

My gut says once this weather passes, the CIV thing will go back to normal.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I was told my daughter was upgraded from PEY to J on her way back to US. She hasn't landed so I do not know the details. It is not her birthday (not even close), not her MPC anniversary (< 2 years), not at any milestone, and she is only Marco Polo Green. There are usually a few DMs, GOs and SLs on CX872. I have no idea how CIV works.
They have been doing upgrades based on CIV for years on BA. There is a frequent trend of first time Y+ flyers getting upgrades to J as a taster of what you could get if you spend a little more.

There are also the times (fog/snow etc. at LHR) where ops are kept so busy rearranging flights the CIV score goes out of the window and the first passenger who fits a requirement gets moved regardless of the colour of their card.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF WP
Sounds like a bunch of pax on standy by were just thrown into any seat available.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by phol
They have been doing upgrades based on CIV for years on BA. There is a frequent trend of first time Y+ flyers getting upgrades to J as a taster of what you could get if you spend a little more.
My wife has been SL for years and still awaiting her first op-up (not counting the one she took from me ). She should be GO by October and perhaps she will have better luck.

They are convincing the wrong person . They should convince the one paying for my daughter's ticket - my wife...
Old May 25, 2015, 10:26 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by phol
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
My wife has been SL for years and still awaiting her first op-up (not counting the one she took from me ). She should be GO by October and perhaps she will have better luck.

They are convincing the wrong person . They should convince those paying for my daughter's ticket, e.g., my wife...
(OT for the CX forum but) Is this related to the airport upgrade quota they let any individual BA pax buy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...u-upgrade.html <-- again the taster theory?
Old May 25, 2015, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
(OT for the CX forum but) Is this related to the airport upgrade quota they let any individual BA pax buy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...u-upgrade.html <-- again the taster theory?
The quota is a new thing, and confirmed by staffers - you are restricted on paid upgrades and you can only get bumped up 3 (i think) times per year no matter what your status level. I think its mostly to do with keeping premium cabins empty and stop status flyers on busy routes expecting a free/cheap upgrade on check-in.

The Y+ upgrade thing is purely anecdotal but many passengers have had it happen to them over the years.

CX might take BA to the cleaners in service and product but BA know how to extract every last cent of profit better than just about anyone, so it would be no surprise to see CX copying them on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.