Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New QF lounge at HKIA is worth the visit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New QF lounge at HKIA is worth the visit.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; Nexus 7 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.170 Safari/537.36)
The char siu is way to skinny and not that tastie.
Hmm so G16 is the one to use for Char Siu?

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; Nexus 7 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.170 Safari/537.36)
Alcohol is bit better than cx but not a lot.
Is this compared to the CX Biz lounge? CX F would still have better right?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by beckoa
CX F would still have better right?
CX F - the sole lounge being Wing F right now - is nothing to write home about if you've hit up other F lounges globally. Or maybe I've just been too many times to Wing F. But CX has pretty awesome business class lounges esp (IMO) The Bridge and The Cabin as well as the Wing J, which more function like super business class lounges but the gap between them and F isn't that wide. Yes, F Wing has a champagne area usually serving Moet, Moet Rose and Veuve and I'm not sure you can get that in the new QF lounge. But the wine in Wing F is not great. I don't drink much hard booze so hard to comment but there are frequently so many people in Wing F I can't imagine they're serving top shelf liquor. Overall QF does great jobs with their lounges in SYD and SIN. I wouldn't fret too much and make it an absolute priority to hit up the Wing F. HKG has some pretty awesome lounge options which sounds like it got even better with the new QF, but I guess you could say CX does not have the highest end F lounge as a result of the numerous exception J offerings.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
CX F - the sole lounge being Wing F right now - is nothing to write home about if you've hit up other F lounges globally. Or maybe I've just been too many times to Wing F. But CX has pretty awesome business class lounges esp (IMO) The Bridge and The Cabin as well as the Wing J, which more function like super business class lounges but the gap between them and F isn't that wide. Yes, F Wing has a champagne area usually serving Moet, Moet Rose and Veuve and I'm not sure you can get that in the new QF lounge. But the wine in Wing F is not great. I don't drink much hard booze so hard to comment but there are frequently so many people in Wing F I can't imagine they're serving top shelf liquor. Overall QF does great jobs with their lounges in SYD and SIN. I wouldn't fret too much and make it an absolute priority to hit up the Wing F. HKG has some pretty awesome lounge options which sounds like it got even better with the new QF, but I guess you could say CX does not have the highest end F lounge as a result of the numerous exception J offerings.

I disagree. Even compare to CCR and QF f class the Wing F compares quite well.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
I disagree. Even compare to CCR and QF f class the Wing F compares quite well.
yea...might just be that CX (IMO) has excellent J lounges at HKIA. I do think the gap is not that wide, especially since I am not a Cabana user. Although I technically can access the Wing F on most of my ex-HKG flights, I think I visit there perhaps 33% at most of the times I fly ex-HKG on CX/KA. And I don't mind at all when I'm flying non-CX ex-HKG and am "stuck" using the plethora of J lounges.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:39 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So what this means is the G16 Lounge will now get even less busy than it was before after 3pm. Which already was a fairly low standard
Although those who still go to G16 probably don't know they can use the QF lounge, if they don't know to go to the CX lounge instead.

(Of course there are those who use G16 for convenience but even the old QF lounge was better than G16)
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by gemini573
I wish I knew how to post pics on here. I was just at the new lounge and I must say, I'm very impressed with it.

The lounge is HUGE. It can seat well over 200 people. The BBQ bar (serving char siu fan), was very good. They have a dim sum trolley. They only served siu mai though. Hopefully more later on. They also have a decent buffet.

I've also noticed a lot of Aussie staff. I don't know if they're there strictly for the opening.

Need to find a way to post pics on here.
I guess too many CX members trying to use it lately? I was promptly told no entry because of "capacity", they were very nice and apologetic about it, but denied entry.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:14 am

CX F - the sole lounge being Wing F right now - is nothing to write home about.
I would agree. To be honest the food is very average lately, you definitely do not experience the "wow" factor that CX F level quality used to do for you. Oh well, can't be first forever.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:04 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I guess too many CX members trying to use it lately? I was promptly told no entry because of "capacity", they were very nice and apologetic about it, but denied entry.
Shame to hear this. I wonder if this will continue once the novelty wears off.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by sxc
Shame to hear this. I wonder if this will continue once the novelty wears off.
Was entry based on OWE status or cabin when this happened?

I've done a bit of lounge hopping last year After 4 stamps or so they gave up stamping my BP
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:41 am

that sucks. do you mind sharing what time of day?

would be a letdown to CX pax if this becomes commonplace. Especially given how generous CX has been with its own lounge policy at HKG, which has led to some rather crowded lounge spaces the last 5 years. As soon as QF builds a classy place at HKIA QF decides to selectively wall off CX members (if what you mention becomes commonplace).

I wonder if CX would start reciprocating by claiming overcrowding and denying QF fliers access to The Wing, Cabin, Bridge, etc. Lord knows The Wing and Cabin get packed. If CX doesn't deny QF pax that's definitely a letdown for CX pax at CX's home airport - essentially, from a lounge perspective, it would be better to fly QF than CX to Australia considering QF would enable all the lounges (presuming CX doesn't modify its lounge policy towards QF pax) whereas flying CX metal meant no access to QF. Small point but still seems like a slap in the face to CX.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
I am guessing this is temporary due to the curiosity factor and many people going in to "have a look" and will die down once the novelty wears off.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yea...might just be that CX (IMO) has excellent J lounges at HKIA. I do think the gap is not that wide, especially since I am not a Cabana user. Although I technically can access the Wing F on most of my ex-HKG flights, I think I visit there perhaps 33% at most of the times I fly ex-HKG on CX/KA. And I don't mind at all when I'm flying non-CX ex-HKG and am "stuck" using the plethora of J lounges.
I agree with the comment on the gap is not that wide. We actually quite like The Cabin. We checked out The Bridge in January - it was quite deserted at the time we went - after 10:30am I think. There were hardly any people there and we almost missed the other side if not for the agents at the entrance reminded us there was another side when we were on our way out from one side.

The restaurant at Wing F seems way too crowded in the morning. We took a look but did not bother to try it as we had a good breakfast at Conrad before heading to the airport. The service though, is always very attentive. I also like the new work station set up in the Wing F.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was your basis to gain entry? OW Emerald or class of service?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:26 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
What was your basis to gain entry? OW Emerald or class of service?
I believe Cathay Boy is a CX Diamond so likely should have been able to enter based on status.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Visited the QF Lounge at HKG on Friday afternoon, as a QF Platinum & CX Gold I was not impressed and wont be back. Unless you are leaving from the 16-20s gates it is not worth the walk really. Step by step thoughts below:

-interiors - cheap and warehouse like (concrete floor makes it very noisy, lots of blank white walls - depressing)

-bar and food - good but limited selection but no sign of the promised bbq or dim sum trolleys

-staff - more staff than pax at that time due to small number of flights

-departures information uses HKIA standard feed (not filtered to OW flights) takes forever to see your flight status)

-showers - ok facilities

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.