Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT-ish: CX Model Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by brankell5566
I guess I'll have her look around the airport when she returns. What is the name of the store at HKG? Otherwise, I'll buy them myself the next time I visit HK.
I cannot recall the shop name exactly, but follow these instructions and you will find it:

*Go to the southern security departure area. This is the security/immigration checkpoint near the A/B (Cathay) aisles.
*Now, walk north so the check-in counters are on your right-hand side.
*There will be shops to your left. The toy store, which has a small glass display of models facing the check-in counters, is less than half way before you reach the north security entrance.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: What is better than ZED?
I believe this is the one. It's the 7/F landslide store.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/s...hild/toys.html
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by 5x24
I believe this is the one. It's the 7/F landslide store.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/s...hild/toys.html
that's the one
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Whilst I don't think there are any CX models in the current onboard shopping magazine,

you can pre-flight order a number of 1:500 CX models to be delivered and paid for at your seat inflight:
http://www.cathaypacific.com/dutyfre...X+Collectibles

It will be to late for the YVR-HKG sector as you need to do minimum 48hrs before flight, but you can do it for the return sector.

Otherwise, as others suggested the airport shop on the far right of the check-in concourse is your best bet prior to security.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:33 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll have her look around the Toy store at the airport. I see there are 3 locations, so hopefully most have the same selection.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ahhh yea the catalogue 1:400 ones are a big letdown.

If you can get into CX City (where the crew check-in and mgmt work) in Tung Chung, they have a shop in there and it has the best inventory. They sell the heavy 1:200 scale versions and are cheaper than all the shops around HK. I think the 777-300ER and 747-400 are $360 HKD, and most staff get a discount so your price inevitably is always even cheaper than that (because most folks get in there either work with CX or have business at CX City). If you're nice to the shop keepers usually they'll give the discount to you anyway without having someone else from CX there.

CX should absolutely sell the 1:200 models in the magazine. I think the problem is, they come in a big box so space might be a consideration. They're great value if you can get your hands on them though.
Hi, to clarify, do you mean that the models (and other CX goodies) sold at CX City are
a) Sold at MSRP. Then -> staff discount?
or
b) Already cheaper than MSRP / CX's webste listed price. And chance for further staff discount?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: What is better than ZED?
Originally Posted by brankell5566
Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll have her look around the Toy store at the airport. I see there are 3 locations, so hopefully most have the same selection.
No they don't from my experience. The landside store has the most models, the one in NSC has some, while the T1 airside one barely has any.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by DellRocks
Hi, to clarify, do you mean that the models (and other CX goodies) sold at CX City are
a) Sold at MSRP. Then -> staff discount?
or
b) Already cheaper than MSRP / CX's webste listed price. And chance for further staff discount?
No, I have been into CX City many times and have been to the store. It is the same price as online/other stores in HK. The only difference is the staff discount. But base price is same as everywhere else.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CX828
No, I have been into CX City many times and have been to the store. It is the same price as online/other stores in HK. The only difference is the staff discount. But base price is same as everywhere else.
Hmm how much is this staff discount? And do they have 1:100 models of the 744? Would be tempting to get (but kind of large to lug back )

My AS collection of 737's and MD80 are 1:100...thought that scale was nice- granted those birds are a bit smaller
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beckoa
Hmm how much is this staff discount? And do they have 1:100 models of the 744? Would be tempting to get (but kind of large to lug back )
+1 would be curious to know too.

My AS collection of 737's and MD80 are 1:100...thought that scale was nice- granted those birds are a bit smaller
CX does not make 1:100s, only one they have in that size is the DC Besty.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:54 am

I believe the discount is something like 15-20% (can't remember exactly)

and the largest models available are 1:200. There are also 1:400 and 1:500.

Also, despite the fact the shop is through the barrier and up the escalators , unless you clearly look like staff (e.g. in uniform) they will ask for your staff ID to issue any discount.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ahhh yea the catalogue 1:400 ones are a big letdown.

If you can get into CX City (where the crew check-in and mgmt work) in Tung Chung, they have a shop in there and it has the best inventory. They sell the heavy 1:200 scale versions and are cheaper than all the shops around HK. I think the 777-300ER and 747-400 are $360 HKD, and most staff get a discount so your price inevitably is always even cheaper than that (because most folks get in there either work with CX or have business at CX City). If you're nice to the shop keepers usually they'll give the discount to you anyway without having someone else from CX there.

CX should absolutely sell the 1:200 models in the magazine. I think the problem is, they come in a big box so space might be a consideration. They're great value if you can get your hands on them though.
If you are really keen on the Cathay models at excellent prices, this shop is the destination. As the original poster noted, if you want the larger scales, be prepared for the some luggage issues. For those who are only at HKG briefly, it is walkable, although if I remember correctly, it will require a little planning on exiting the airport and navigating the service roads. I believe it is on the second floor.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DellRocks

CX does not make 1:100s, only one they have in that size is the DC Besty.
Originally Posted by CX828
I believe the discount is something like 15-20% (can't remember exactly)

and the largest models available are 1:200. There are also 1:400 and 1:500.
That's what I figured based off searching last night.

http://www.westway-aircraft-models.com/3.html has the product apparently, but scared about the cost
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:15 pm

On my trip last month to Hong Kong I flew on one of the last 747 flights from SFO. I REALLY wanted a model of a CX747 to commemorate the flight, so when I came across a toy shop in the Peak Observatory tower I was thrilled they had a large selection of model airplanes. The price was a little steep (around $550 HKD) but I was ok with it. It is a 1:200 model of Asia's World City B747 and it sits proudly on my home office desk.

I also found a small toy shop in the Star Ferry terminal in Kowloon that sells model airplanes, but they didn't have the selection of the toy shop in the Peak Observatory.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: AC-E50K / WS-P / Hyatt-G
Cathay model planes?

Don't know if this belongs here or on the Hong Kong boards...but I'm in HK for a few days and am looking for a CX model to bring home as a souvenir for my little one, who much prefers model airplanes to stuffed animals, or heaven forbid, ugh, princess stuff.

I'm guessing there may be something at HKIA, but if there is something in town, I'd love to scoop it up before heading back to the airport on Sunday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.