Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT-ish: CX Model Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:55 pm
NoY
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
OT-ish: CX Model Aircraft

I recently purchased an A330-300 from the collectibles section of CX shop - boy, its tiny! I didn't check what size the 1:400 scale would actually equate to Never mind, but I was hoping that a larger version (at least double the size could be acquire at HKIA? Size matters...in this case Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:01 pm
Suspended

What's wrong?

If 1:400 is too small, go for the 1:200 scale. CX offers a variety of aircrafts in that size - almost the whole fleet except the old DC ones. They tend to be at the last few pages of the online catalog...often named as "Premium Model".
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:05 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There is a model aircraft shop in Man Yee Building, 68 Des Voeux Road, Central. They may have what you're looking for.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
There is a model aircraft shop in Man Yee Building, 68 Des Voeux Road, Central. They may have what you're looking for.
Or just head to the 80M store at the Western Market (and a varies of other locations throughout HK). They will sell CX's merchandises at their msrp without any kind of mark up / ridiculous shipping charges.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Or just head to the 80M store at the Western Market (and a varies of other locations throughout HK). They will sell CX's merchandises at their msrp without any kind of mark up / ridiculous shipping charges.
I had a visit in my office from a bunch of CX and KA staff who gave me a 747, I opened the box, put it on the tiny stand and one of the engines fell off.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by NoY
I recently purchased an A330-300 from the collectibles section of CX shop - boy, its tiny! I didn't check what size the 1:400 scale would actually equate to Never mind, but I was hoping that a larger version (at least double the size could be acquire at HKIA? Size matters...in this case Thanks.
Ahhh yea the catalogue 1:400 ones are a big letdown.

If you can get into CX City (where the crew check-in and mgmt work) in Tung Chung, they have a shop in there and it has the best inventory. They sell the heavy 1:200 scale versions and are cheaper than all the shops around HK. I think the 777-300ER and 747-400 are $360 HKD, and most staff get a discount so your price inevitably is always even cheaper than that (because most folks get in there either work with CX or have business at CX City). If you're nice to the shop keepers usually they'll give the discount to you anyway without having someone else from CX there.

CX should absolutely sell the 1:200 models in the magazine. I think the problem is, they come in a big box so space might be a consideration. They're great value if you can get your hands on them though.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:22 am
NoY
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
What's wrong?

If 1:400 is too small, go for the 1:200 scale. CX offers a variety of aircrafts in that size - almost the whole fleet except the old DC ones. They tend to be at the last few pages of the online catalog...often named as "Premium Model".
What's wrong?

Well, I didn't realise they sold two sizes OR that the one I "picked" would be THAT small. "Buyer beware" and all that
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:24 am
NoY
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
I recently purchased an A330-300 from the collectibles section of CX shop - boy, its tiny! I didn't check what size the 1:400 scale would actually equate to Never mind, but I was hoping that a larger version (at least double the size could be acquired at HKIA? Size matters...in this case Thanks.
I will not be going into town - just in transit at around 5.00am for 3 hours - so has to be sourced at the airport (?)

Last edited by NoY; Dec 18, 2013 at 2:30 am
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:44 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Since the CX online shop has dimensions, compare them to the ones you have and if the size is suitable, purchase them online. Probably your easiest option.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:10 am
NoY
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Since the CX online shop has dimensions, compare them to the ones you have and if the size is suitable, purchase them online. Probably your easiest option.
Indeed, thanks. I was hoping to bag one on the day at the airport though. Oh well.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:05 am

ALL of the 1:200 models shown in CX's catalog is a meltdown. If you are really chasing for quality diecasts are the only way to go.

And for people who wants something smaller but still feels that 1:500 scale is a bit too tiny there is always 1:400 to settle for, but there is still a TON of stuff that doesn't exist in this scale (officially). Collectors resort to models produced and released under the rug, since they were made without a license from CX, and hence the unlabeled and suspiciously looking boxes. Still, it's not like you will be arrested for buying them, just that most diecast retailers in HK won't sell it to you unless you are a regular customer, just so they don't get their butts chased by CX, so don't even think about being able to find these in 80m. You could however find these models online, which is fairly easy, and they are of a better quality than CXcitement's releases too.

Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

The shop at man yee is shut. Let me know if u want to know their new addy...

Eitherways, best to get them herpa. The current diecasts are crap n i stopped getting them.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:02 pm

Apologies for bumping this old thread, but a friend of mine is flying CX from YVR-HKG tomorrow night and I'd like her to purchase a model for me.

Does anyone know if CX sells 1:200 models in-flight? If so, will her return flight have the same selection?

I'm OK with anything, but my most wanted is the 1:200 CX Cargo HK Trader 747-8F.

I just don't want her accidentally buying a small 1:400 or 1:500.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by brankell5566
Does anyone know if CX sells 1:200 models in-flight? If so, will her return flight have the same selection?
No, they are not sold in-flight.

The guys above know way more about it than I do. If you're okay for getting CXcitement's 1:200 releases (versus the unofficial, but ridiculously detailed ones described by the guys above), which sounds like is the case, you can buy them around the airport if your friend won't be able to find one of those model shops in HK. There is a store at HKIA departure side in T1, just 50 meters north of the southern security entrance area. They sometimes stock the 747-8 Traders one you're looking for. If you know people who work at CX, you can also get them at Cathay City within the HKIA complex, and those are better because everything there comes with a staff discount. IME the selection at CX City is superior to the one at the airport.

Or, you can just go find one of those model shops all over HK and they usually have everything.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:04 am

Thanks for the reply, QRC3288.

She won't be able to make it out to those shops in HK (don't want to ruin her trip for a toy plane ;-))

I guess I'll have her look around the airport when she returns. What is the name of the store at HKG? Otherwise, I'll buy them myself the next time I visit HK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.