Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

[pre 15 April 2016]Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club - Membership and earn/burn FAQs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
What is the difference between Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club?

The Marco Polo Club is Cathay Pacific’s official loyalty programme. Asia Miles is an unaffiliated travel reward programme comprising of a variety of airline and hotel partners, as well as credit and charge card companies, car rental agencies, telecommunications companies and other non-air partners. Members of The Marco Polo Club are automatically enrolled as Asia Miles members. The Marco Polo Club gives you benefits for being loyal (eg lounge access, extra baggage), and Asia Miles is where you earn and burn miles and free flights.

What mileage will I earn for a particular flight and fare class?

Please refer to the Asia Miles website for the earning rates on Cathay Pacific and other Airline Partners.

Airline Partner Earning details

What are good credit cards to earn Asia Miles in HK?

See this thread: Best Credit Card Conversion Rates for Asia Miles (HK)

Does The Marco Polo Club status match?
MPC generally does not status match to another carrier's elite FFP just because you want one. You may write to the Club with details of your past flying pattern, and they will consider status matches on a case-by-case basis.

For more information , please read this thread: CX Status Match

I am moving to HK - should I consider changing to Asia Miles / Marco Polo Club?

Please see this thread for questions on moving to HK and your choice of loyalty program: Moving to HK master thread

What is the difference between Club Miles and Club Sectors?
Eligible earning fares will earn both Club Miles and Club Sectors. Club Miles is the number of miles flown on the particular flight (plus a 110%, 125%, or 150% surcharge if travel was in Premium Economy, Business or First Class respectively). Club Sectors are earned per sector flown on an eligible Cathay Pacific or oneworld flight. Passengers earn 1 Club Sector for every Economy Class sector, 1.1 for every Premium Economy sector, 1.25 for every Business Class sector and 1.5 for every First Class sector flown.

Tier qualification may be achieved by either Club Miles or Club Sectors but not both.

If you are flying an airline partner that is not a member of oneworld (eg Jet Airways), you will only earn Asia Miles and you will not earn Club Miles.

I do not have elite Marco Polo status but I will be flying over 120,000 miles in the next year. Does this mean I can leapfrog straight from no status to Diamond status?
No. The Marco Polo Club applies a stepped tier programme starting from Silver tier. This means that once you exceed the 30,000 miles (or 20 Club Sector) threshold, you are automatically granted Silver tier membership. At this time your mileage balance is reset to zero to reflect the fact that you are commencing a new membership year at Silver tier.

You then have another 12 months from the date of earning Silver tier to fly a further 60,000 miles to earn Gold, at which time you will again be reset to zero and your membership year reset to allow a further 12 months in which to earn Diamond tier. This means that you need to fly 30,000 + 60,000 +120,000 = 210,000 miles to jump straight from no status to Diamond tier (or the equivalent in Club sectors).
Note that your membership year runs from the day you attain a new tier until the end of that month plus 12 months. For example, if you earn Silver tier on 6 April 2009, your membership year will run from 6 April 2009 through to 30 April 2010.

Should you fail to advance to a higher tier, your membership year will be reset on the last day of the month in which you earned your current tier. Thus in the example above, if in the following membership year you earn 45,000 miles, you will be reset to zero at silver on 30 April 2011.

Huh? I still don't understand how qualification works.
cxfan1960 has kindly provided the following "flowchart for dummies":

(1) Join MPC - Start membership year -> go to (2)

(2) Green
* Minimum 30,000 Club Miles or 20 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for Silver. Reset membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Renew Green at end of membership year for another membership year.

(3) Silver (oneworld Ruby)
* Minimum 60,000 Club Miles or 40 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for gold. Reset membership year -> go to (4), else;
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Silver at end of membership year for another membership year, else;
* Back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

(4) Gold (oneworld Sapphire)
* Minimum 120,000 Club Miles or 80 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for Diamond. Reset membership year -> go to (5), else;
* Between 60,000 and 120,000 Club Miles, or between 40 and 80 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Gold at end of membership year for another membership year, else;
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles, or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Silver at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Less than 30,000 Club Miles, or less than 20 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

(5) Diamond (oneworld Emerald)
* Minimum 120,000 Club Miles or 80 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Diamond at end of membership year for another membership year;
* Between 60,000 and 120,000 Club Miles, or between 40 and 80 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Gold at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (4),
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles, or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Silver at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Less than 30,000 Club Miles, or less than 20 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

I am not going to earn enough miles to requalify at my current tier. Does Cathay do soft landings or will I be sent straight to the tier at which I have enough miles to qualify for?

There is no official soft landing policy. It is possible if you are a Diamond, to go straight back to Green if you fly less than 30,000 miles in a year. Sometimes soft landings are reported, but it is on a case-by-case basis.

I am going to be just shy of requalifying at a certain tier. Will Cathay let me have that tier anyway?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you are a couple of thousand miles short of retaining your current tier before your membership year expires, you will be requalified at that tier on expiry date. There doesn't appear to be a hard and fast rule regarding how much of a shortfall is allowed.

Alternatively, writing in to the Club to explain your circumstances may result in them extending your deadline for requalification.

I am a silver, and I am going to fly 59,000 miles in my current year. Will Cathay be lenient and bump me to Gold?

Based on experience, it appears that Cathay is not lenient for attaining a new tier. Consider making alternative plans to reach that additional 1,000 missing club miles before your membership year ends.
Print Wikipost

[pre 15 April 2016]Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club - Membership and earn/burn FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:50 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
No the system just says you've hit 60k and if you hit 120k by the end of the year then you'll become diamond, and then reset at that point.

If after you hit 60k you earn another 20k in your membership year, you will "waste" that 20k, and your membership at gold renews again at the end of that membership year.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by sxc
No the system just says you've hit 60k and if you hit 120k by the end of the year then you'll become diamond, and then reset at that point.

If after you hit 60k you earn another 20k in your membership year, you will "waste" that 20k, and your membership at gold renews again at the end of that membership year.
Okay, thanks. I've been having brain farts recently.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
First time flying on CX, LAX to Hong Kong (and then on to Manila). Ticket purchased by a business for me (business, I class). I just now joined the MP for the benefits only to read here that I could have gotten in via my AE Plat. Also, I am flying in two weeks and was surprised when the final message after I paid online was that I would hear back in 4-6 weeks.

Hopefully, I can fix this with a phone call tomorrow.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
So, if you have a US-based AE Plat, the $50 fee is not waived for MP. What is puzzling is how after you go through the lengthy online registration and pay your fee, you are not given a membership number. To reach someone on the phone. AE concierge told me they needed my new membership number.

But the reason we are calling is to obtain the membership number so I can access any perks when I fly in mid-Sept. If anyone has an idea how to solve this... (or will just giving my name work?)
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:07 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by onebigworld
So, if you have a US-based AE Plat, the $50 fee is not waived for MP. What is puzzling is how after you go through the lengthy online registration and pay your fee, you are not given a membership number. To reach someone on the phone. AE concierge told me they needed my new membership number.

But the reason we are calling is to obtain the membership number so I can access any perks when I fly in mid-Sept. If anyone has an idea how to solve this... (or will just giving my name work?)
Best you ask this question in the Amex forum.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:35 pm

Thanks, sxc, but AE is no longer part of the question. Since they are not offering an fee waiver, my question now is only this: When you enroll in the MP club online, is there a way to get your membership number (just the number, not a packet of info), without waiting 4-6 weeks? If there is a better thread, lmk and I will repost.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:59 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Try calling the Marco Polo hotline and see if they can you look you up in the system.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:57 pm

If I recall correctly, theres a hidden page on CX's webpage that could look you up via your name. Try browsing through the AMEX forum, its been.mentioned quite a few times.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:38 pm

Thanks, Sxc. I was only able to get recordings when I called that said to fax or email. They have not returned my email that I sent last week. I can try fax.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by WarrenWong
If I recall correctly, theres a hidden page on CX's webpage that could look you up via your name. Try browsing through the AMEX forum, its been.mentioned quite a few times.
Thank you, Warren and sxc. This was user error as indeed, buried in my email was the welcome from the Marco Polo Club. But before I found that, I had good luck calling my local US Cathay Pacific office as per the website. The phone service was excellent and she walked me through the "forgot your pin" which leads to "forgot your membership number." That worked.

Last edited by onebigworld; Aug 25, 2014 at 1:39 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
Hi all, I've purchased 2 PE seats for my twin kids who are both under 2 years of age

It's their first time on a CX flight. As I see it, I can't enroll them in MP (under 18) or Asia Miles (under 2).

Anyone have any experience with this? I've searched for infant/child MP/Asia Miles enrollment here on the forum and can't figure it out. Any help understanding if these seats won't go wasted on miles earning will be most helpful.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by pemabuk
Hi all, I've purchased 2 PE seats for my twin kids who are both under 2 years of age

It's their first time on a CX flight. As I see it, I can't enroll them in MP (under 18) or Asia Miles (under 2).

Anyone have any experience with this? I've searched for infant/child MP/Asia Miles enrollment here on the forum and can't figure it out. Any help understanding if these seats won't go wasted on miles earning will be most helpful.
If they're under the age you can earn mileage, you pretty much can't earn mileage. It's like the guy a few years ago that sign his cello up for a FFP trying to earn miles. Doesn't work.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: CX DM, Shang Jade, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alphaod
If they're under the age you can earn mileage, you pretty much can't earn mileage. It's like the guy a few years ago that sign his cello up for a FFP trying to earn miles. Doesn't work.
Fair enough. I suppose I would distinguish between a person and a cell, though. Of the 99 reasons to switch from UA, this isn't one. I suppose we'll just have to eat this miles til next year.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Sign up and invest in a KVS subscription. Calling MPO will give you the same results as online as if you're only looking at CX flights. AM desk at HKIA is useless.

CX/AM is still very similar. Each route/class has a certain #/% of seats released to Awards tickets. SL and up also have "priority" waitlist. There's been cases where DM's are able to have seats instantly released for them. The only difference is, as it get closer to the departure date....CX might decide to release more availability if there's no demand for revenue tickets.
Will Expert Flyer give you this info also or just KVS?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:16 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by craig44485
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Sign up and invest in a KVS subscription. Calling MPO will give you the same results as online as if you're only looking at CX flights. AM desk at HKIA is useless.
Will Expert Flyer give you this info also or just KVS?
Out of the two, only the KVS Tool has 100% OneWorld Availability coverage:

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#OneWorld

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.