Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - DPS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I would not assume that. In 4 cases, my status-less wife with onward F flight in her PNR has been allocated F when checking in on-line. Meanwhile, I have status and have been flying with her in each instance. However, my onward F flights have been in separate PNRs. Despite status, I have NOT been pre-allocated F seats when checking in, I've had to request it at the airport. This suggests that the system sweeps for onward-connecting F pax, whereas it does not sweep for status (but leaves that to airport control). Mind you, maybe the "system" is merely somebody at DPS who looks over PNRs, hence the process can be hit or miss. Clearly, the best strategy is to have both status AND an onward connection in F.
There is no automated system to allocate those seats it is done manually the criteria they use is status. I'm not sure why ur wife got it but generally it is for status pax
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
There is no automated system to allocate those seats it is done manually the criteria they use is status. I'm not sure why ur wife got it but generally it is for status pax
Not only my wife, but my status-less son, too. In the same PNR with onward F connection. 4 times. In the case of United, the status of the issuing account travels with the passenger. Perhaps something similar with CX? Though that wouldn't explain why I consistently have to ask at the airport.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Have often walked around the long lines that include the CX flight - after paying for vip service - its well worth it

these days i get to clear Indonesian Imigrasi on board in my super comfortable lie flat seat, with a drink in my hand, Garuda offers this service on selected flights - SYD DPS is one of them.

So I just wander thru the domestic line - hand in my cleared card - and go pick up the bags
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Not only my wife, but my status-less son, too. In the same PNR with onward F connection. 4 times. In the case of United, the status of the issuing account travels with the passenger. Perhaps something similar with CX? Though that wouldn't explain why I consistently have to ask at the airport.
They prob know your wife and that's why they allocated her the seat. As a DM I always get allocated automatically
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks. So is the best option to ask at checkin as early as possible? Is it worth ringing them first?

I have heard great things about the new cx business class so if I am on the upper deck is it actually worth trying to get into the F section. My instinct is telling me that it is.

Thanks for all your advice.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Ok. I have just changed my selection back to 90 and 91.

The seating is shown as a 1-1 configuration.

The first class cabin shows up on the seat map but all seats are crossed out. Does that mean that there are no seats left their?

It does appear to be a busy flight.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Ok thanks. So is the best option to ask at checkin as early as possible? Is it worth ringing them first?

I have heard great things about the new cx business class so if I am on the upper deck is it actually worth trying to get into the F section. My instinct is telling me that it is.

Thanks for all your advice.
...mate I think you might be a bit confused. The CX 747s have the old business class and they are not getting retrofitted with the new J.

Have a read of the FAQ (first sticky thread) and a search around here for info on F vs. J, lots of discussions have raged on that for years. F is indeed miles ahead. Upstairs vs. downstairs J on 747 is also a popular discussion topic.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:33 pm

The first class cabin shows up on the seat map but all seats are crossed out. Does that mean that there are no seats left their?
No. Those seats are always blocked. They are allocated at the airport (or sometimes in advance if you have DM status).

Contrary to previous comments, my experience is that if you have a paid F class ticket (not a reward) you will always get a seat in the F section nose of a 744 between HKG and DPS. You will, however, have to ask for it.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
No. Those seats are always blocked. They are allocated at the airport (or sometimes in advance if you have DM status).

Contrary to previous comments, my experience is that if you have a paid F class ticket (not a reward) you will always get a seat in the F section nose of a 744 between HKG and DPS. You will, however, have to ask for it.
Yes, always ask. On the return DPS-HKG, HKG-LAX the check in agent at DPS assigned us to 1A/K what a nice treat. The service was also SIGNIFICANTLY better (It almost seemed as if the FA's were training for F service) than on the upper deck on the HKG-DPS although the food was the same.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
...mate I think you might be a bit confused. The CX 747s have the old business class and they are not getting retrofitted with the new J.

Have a read of the FAQ (first sticky thread) and a search around here for info on F vs. J, lots of discussions have raged on that for years. F is indeed miles ahead. Upstairs vs. downstairs J on 747 is also a popular discussion topic.
Oh thanks.

I did look but there is just so much variation in aircraft and cabins. More than I am used to.

I suppose this means even more emphasis to try and get into the front cabin.

Is the J product the same as the regional business class seat at I had on the way in?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:11 am

Oh thanks.

I did look but there is just so much variation in aircraft and cabins. More than I am used to.

I suppose this means even more emphasis to try and get into the front cabin.

Is the J product the same as the regional business class seat at I had on the way in?
...no. This is straight from the FAQ. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15321193-post3.html. All the J seats on the 747 (either 74A or 74K) are "herringbone", which is also known as "old business class" or "coffin business class". CX started rolling out new J class in late 2011, so any posts or threads about business class before then (or any threads about business class on the 747) will refer to the business class on your plane.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks QRC3288.

One other quick question. I have read the "read it first" thread and looked at the CX site and their isn't a lot of info.

My wife and I arrive back in HKG for one night before going back to LHR the next day.

Seeing the lounges section I understand at as business class travellers we will be entitled to use the arrivals lounge. Is it worth me using this lounge for a quick meal before going to the hotel? What other facilities does it have?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:08 am

Thanks QRC3288.

One other quick question. I have read the "read it first" thread and looked at the CX site and their isn't a lot of info.

My wife and I arrive back in HKG for one night before going back to LHR the next day.

Seeing the lounges section I understand at as business class travellers we will be entitled to use the arrivals lounge. Is it worth me using this lounge for a quick meal before going to the hotel? What other facilities does it have?

Oops I see it is open to midnight. I'd still head to a nice hotel.

Thanks again!
Given the arrival time, wouldn't you rather just head into one of the world's more exciting cities and live it up on your last night of holiday? I don't know the answer though arrival lounges usually are only open in the am, I've been there, it is no Concorde Room.

Oops, I see it is open until midnight. I'd take a pass and head to town.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Actually we our itinerary was LHR - HKG - DPS - HKG -LHR.

We've already done Hong Kong really and the only reason we leave HKIA is to give sufficient time for the flight.

I was thinking CCR to be fair. Nice meal and then sleep at the hotel.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:05 am

No, I don't think it is worth it. It's nicely appointed, but it's kinda small. Just a few showers and hybrid snack/hot food. You know, better than crackers and cheese but not really a full meal like you could get in the CX F lounge (or even J class airside lounges). And it's ever so slightly out of the way. I would skip and go straight to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.