Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon caused delayed question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Typhoon caused delayed question

A few years ago a huge typhoon hit HK and many flights were delayed and cancelled. I was scheduled to fly back to SFO 3 days after resumption of lights. To my surprised, CX did not have additional flights out, but rather they tried ot put the standby passenger on the next flight and for the most part, bumped the people who were supposed to be on that flight. This caused a dominoe affect. I'd gone to the airport 4 1/2 hours early and stood in line for 4 and hours only to find out that they gave my seat to someone else because I was not at the counter 1 hr before my flight. The airport was in complete chaos and I was assured throughout the time waiting that I was guaranteed to get on the plane. I'd checked in online already and only needed to check my bags.

CX basically gave my seat away and waitlisted me for the next flight the next day. they probably bumped someone on the flight the next day just to get me in. I was upset because they had a full 3 days to get additional flights out but they didn't. Instead they tried to fill up all of the future flights and bump customers. Eventually they would be able to get everyone out since it's normally slow during the weekdays.

As compensation, they gave me $200 and a voucher for a future upgrade from Economy to business. Ans this was only after I told them that I was checked in already and have my boarding pass. I sawa that thos ewho did nto complain got nothing. Does anyone know if this is normally the best they can offer? I've read of some concessions for US based flights and the compensation is much more than CX. I felt what they did was totally wrong. They were constanting lying to me. Even told me that the flight would be waiting for me etc. When I confronted the agent, he told me that management told him to tell people that so that people would stay calm.

I want to be prepared when this happens again. I'd like to be better compensated if possible because I know some of these airlines would like to get away with soemthing like this without compensation if possible!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
It sure did cause a delayed question. You're asking 2 years fter the problem, that is delayed.

During a typhoon you have to think things are somewhat irregular, indeed. $200 and an upgrade and you're yowling? Wow.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001
A few years ago a huge typhoon hit HK and many flights were delayed and cancelled. I was scheduled to fly back to SFO 3 days after resumption of lights. To my surprised, CX did not have additional flights out
With everything in and out of HK disrupted where on earth did you expect CX to have found the additional airframes to run extra services?

On your last trip you were basically Involuntary Denied Boarding. Same sort of situation as when the flight is oversold, and they need to bump people off the plane. Unless flying out of the EU, any compensation you get is more or less determined by the airline's internal policy.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It sure did cause a delayed question. You're asking 2 years fter the problem, that is delayed.

During a typhoon you have to think things are somewhat irregular, indeed. $200 and an upgrade and you're yowling? Wow.

I guess ya forgot to read this?

"I want to be prepared when this happens again. I'd like to be better compensated if possible because I know some of these airlines would like to get away with soemthing like this without compensation if possible!"

It's the lies and dishonest updates that bothers me. Plus, I'm certain they can try to get an extra flight or two out since their backlog was still there after 3 days. At the very least, notify travelers of potential involuntary bumps, instead of lying to the customer. I'd be more than happy to extend my stay another day or two instead of spening half the day waiting in line at the airport.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Top of climb;16635668]With everything in and out of HK disrupted where on earth did you expect CX to have found the additional airframes to run extra services? QUOTE]

I truly believed that by day 2 or day 3 they could've added 1 or 2 flights to take care of the stranded passenger instead of doing the domino effect bumps. My flight was actually on the 4th day after the storm.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=hqly2001;16635829]
Originally Posted by Top of climb
With everything in and out of HK disrupted where on earth did you expect CX to have found the additional airframes to run extra services? QUOTE]

I truly believed that by day 2 or day 3 they could've added 1 or 2 flights to take care of the stranded passenger instead of doing the domino effect bumps. My flight was actually on the 4th day after the storm.
you didnt scream up and down saying my flight checkin is closing?!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:35 pm

Some people don't get satisfied these days when everything on a red carpet and silver platter. Probably its time for those narrow minds to get out of their basements and see how others will handle this sort of problem, I doubt that you'd get this if you're in the US.

I could say that I feel your pain, after having your ENTIRE mind set on boarding the plane on that day, and only to find that you were bumped off EVEN if you were BOOKED on THAT flight. But did you bring up this point to the staff saying that "I am booked on this FLIGHT, firm and square. So why the heck are you saying that I'm not boarding today? Are you accusing me of turning up at the wrong time? Or are you just too lazy enough to remember which pax are on which flight?" Judging by your mood, I think that would be the sort of attitude you would be in.

You're just another one of those thin-skinned ladies, in which complaining is always at the top of their dictionaries. And if you think that CX were wrong to not put up flights during those 3 days, then you would've ALMOST been as lazy as them to not using the best of your talent to solve the problem. OK so, maybe you didn't have the power to get what you want that day, and the cash plus FREE upgrade was yours to take. Even with that you're whining after a few years? Jeez you whiny bags are weird. I hope you made the best out of what you were given.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific B-HKD
Some people don't get satisfied these days when everything on a red carpet and silver platter. Probably its time for those narrow minds to get out of their basements and see how others will handle this sort of problem, I doubt that you'd get this if you're in the US.

I could say that I feel your pain, after having your ENTIRE mind set on boarding the plane on that day, and only to find that you were bumped off EVEN if you were BOOKED on THAT flight. But did you bring up this point to the staff saying that "I am booked on this FLIGHT, firm and square. So why the heck are you saying that I'm not boarding today? Are you accusing me of turning up at the wrong time? Or are you just too lazy enough to remember which pax are on which flight?" Judging by your mood, I think that would be the sort of attitude you would be in.

You're just another one of those thin-skinned ladies, in which complaining is always at the top of their dictionaries. And if you think that CX were wrong to not put up flights during those 3 days, then you would've ALMOST been as lazy as them to not using the best of your talent to solve the problem. OK so, maybe you didn't have the power to get what you want that day, and the cash plus FREE upgrade was yours to take. Even with that you're whining after a few years? Jeez you whiny bags are weird. I hope you made the best out of what you were given.
Yeah, I bet you'll be happy if they threw your behind off the plane and gave you $200 and a "future" upgrade. Mr. I'll be happy with whatever crap they give me.

Let's leave it at that. I can't wait to see the day you guys get your behind left behind through lies and let's see how you tough guys take it.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: QF WP
It's probably unfair to say that they did not increase capacity just because they didn't do so on the route you were on. If they were to have the capability to increase flights to at least most of their destinations, they would've needed 50 or so spare aircrafts lying around...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:16 am

Another Miranda!

Ooh! Makes me think of Miranda Priestly acted by Meryl Streep who insisted to fly home during a storm in The Devil Wears Prada!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
Steps for Preparedness:
1. Watch weather channel
2. If Typhoon on horizon change plans immediately to get out of dodge or stay longer..

Seriously, this happened two years ago and you are now wondering what should you do on the hypothetical chance that you have the double bad luck to be impacted by a typhoon 2x corresponding to a potential flight? I am guessing there are other more important things to worry about, if not then good for you!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:20 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Yeah, I bet you'll be happy if they threw your behind off the plane and gave you $200 and a "future" upgrade. Mr. I'll be happy with whatever crap they give me.

Let's leave it at that. I can't wait to see the day you guys get your behind left behind through lies and let's see how you tough guys take it.
Seriously?

Just be happy that you got a flight out as soon as you did... Snowstorms in Europe last winter stopped flights for days and it took probably over a week to get everyone who was stuck home.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:16 pm

$200 USD and future Y to J upgrade voucher is more than adequate. But yeah, I'm kind of shock at how fast CX bumps people. The NA airlines mentality is don't mess with the original pax and only fill in empty seats, or, ask for volunteers to give up their seats with compensation (which is negotiable, never take their first offer! )

But, chill out, you had great compensation already.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
Like the other guy said, you were very lucky & got some compensation after all since it was due to the weather which affected your travel plan but not the airlines's & their own fault, technical or non-technical.

Like what I just experienced on my travel in & out NRT right on Mar 11, no compensation from NH & SQ plus my travel insurance at all. Which they all mentioned if it is something disaster like / Force Majeur which is beyond their control, it won't be cover in any compensation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16086601-post8.html

For foggy weather, earthquake which are something that I can't predict nor avoid during traveling. But for typhoon, volcano ash, others that which can be predictable from the weather forecast or news, usually I will check it very closely with my departure date to see whether I shall amend my travel either + 1 or 2 days in order to avoid the snowball effect after all with all the stranded passengers in the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.