Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson Blu Ambassador Opera, Paris - Left July 1st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radisson Blu Ambassador Opera, Paris - Left July 1st

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG Plat & IC Amb
Booked before reflagged. Now it can't be cancel online.
So, I called Club Carlson and the CSR told me to call the hotel in france myself to cancel.
Very unprofessional on their part.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kimusc
So, I called Club Carlson and the CSR told me to call the hotel in france myself to cancel.
This may actually be rather frequent standard practice between brand operator and franchise property owner in the industry. The marketing company may not be allowed to deny affiliation and/or dissuade bookings from the property prior to the effective transition date; and after the transaction's effective date, future adjustments may require dealing with the property itself instead of dealing with the previous marketing company.

If this was an award booking, this kind of "standard practice" -- if that is what it is in this case -- may be a bit messy and then some. I remember what I went through with the Hilton HHonors and Scandic Hotels break up and both parties ended up messing up things for me with no one willing to take ultimate responsibility.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:13 pm

This is very disappointing, I was planning on staying there next year during a vacation. I realize it's a long time away and things change but I wouldn't have expected this.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tsmith12
I wonder if the new hotel affords you the same status benefits that you would have got with CC?
Doubt it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Doubt it.

Cheers.
Glad I'm still MR Gold.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by kimusc
E-mail the hotel: [email protected]

It took them several days for them to get back with me. They did tell me that my room was confirmed. Of course, I had already cancelled, which they ultimately did confirm after I e-mail them back.

I think that this is a huge loss for Club Carlson. They now have 3 hotels in the city center:

Trocadero - 41 rooms and 4 suites
Le Metropolitan - 38 rooms and 10 suites
Champs Elysees - 46 rooms

The Ambassador Hotel was 298 rooms and could sleep 3 people. Families will now have to book 2 rooms or move further out. I think that reward nights will be harder to get as there are fewer rooms in the award pool.

Hopefully, they will be able to sign up other hotels soon.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
I've stayed at all the CC hotels in Paris, and I think you are far under-estimating and over-simplifying the great location of this hotel. It's the most centrally located hotel in Paris, and makes walking to anything fairly easy (and anything not in walking distance can easily be accessed by the Metro station a few steps away). The Lourve and most of the other museums are all less than a 15 minute walk away. While the other hotels in Paris are nice, their locations dont lend itself to doing any walking and require the metro. Further more, if you plan on spending a night on the town, since the metro's stop at 1am, you're stuck with a very expensive taxi ride since most of the nice bars/clubs are nowhere near the other CC hotels.

With all that being said, I did find the staff to be consistently rude and less than stellar when it came to any kind of help. However, the rooms were by far the largest of all the CC hotels in Paris and it's location was what brought me back.
Centrally located sure, but the metro is pretty accessible in most places such as the Radisson Champs Elysees or Trocadero. I just didn't find that part of Paris to be all that appealing, but perhaps that's just my preference. I'd prefer something closer to the Louve, say in the St. Germain area. Much more to see/do there.

Definitely agree that the staff were mediocre at best and of course, I got food poisoning from their food, so yeah, I don't get any warm and fuzzy feelings thinking about my stay here.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:37 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just arrived at the hotel, and had an unpleasant check-in experience. Part of it was the typical Parisian "our check-in time is 3pm, so please take a 6-hour walk (regardless of the fact that we have rooms available now)" attitude, but more importantly, they had no record of my having booked a premium room reward. The premium rooms here book(ed) into Business Class rooms, and come (came) with lounge access, breakfast, free movies, and free internet. They had me in a superior double, which is of course smaller than what I had booked, and has no benefits. They kept telling me the Business Class rooms were a CC status benefit which no longer applies, and I finally convinced the front desk manager that I booked a premium reward, so I at least got lounge access with my tiny room. Not impressed!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by KathinJax

It took them several days for them to get back with me. They did tell me that my room was confirmed. Of course, I had already cancelled, which they ultimately did confirm after I e-mail them back.

I think that this is a huge loss for Club Carlson. They now have 3 hotels in the city center:

Trocadero - 41 rooms and 4 suites
Le Metropolitan - 38 rooms and 10 suites
Champs Elysees - 46 rooms

The Ambassador Hotel was 298 rooms and could sleep 3 people. Families will now have to book 2 rooms or move further out. I think that reward nights will be harder to get as there are fewer rooms in the award pool.

Hopefully, they will be able to sign up other hotels soon.
I did not realize there was such a difference in the hotel sizes. A bit off-topic but I'll be booking the a hotel here in the next month or so and want to use my CC points. I'll need to break it up into 2 different 2-night stays to get the most out of my points. Which of these CC hotels would you recommend? From the other Paris thread, it seems like Champs Elysees may be the best bet now?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by jpdx
Just arrived at the hotel, and had an unpleasant check-in experience. Part of it was the typical Parisian "our check-in time is 3pm, so please take a 6-hour walk (regardless of the fact that we have rooms available now)" attitude, but more importantly, they had no record of my having booked a premium room reward. The premium rooms here book(ed) into Business Class rooms, and come (came) with lounge access, breakfast, free movies, and free internet. They had me in a superior double, which is of course smaller than what I had booked, and has no benefits. They kept telling me the Business Class rooms were a CC status benefit which no longer applies, and I finally convinced the front desk manager that I booked a premium reward, so I at least got lounge access with my tiny room. Not impressed!
That's terrible. I would be contacting CC and try to get a refund of the extra 25,000 points at least!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:44 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by bevoinva
That's terrible. I would be contacting CC and try to get a refund of the extra 25,000 points at least!
I ended up getting a surprise phone call from the Manager on Duty at about 9pm last night, apologizing that they had me in the wrong room. Not sure why this happened, becsuse I had given up by the time. In any case, I was moved to a very nice Business Class Room on a high floor with a great view. Much better than the storage closet they had me in at first.

I inquired with that MOD and she assured me that existing CC points reservations would be honored as booked. There are teething problems, because the CC and Marriott systems don't talk to each other, and employees were only given 2 weeks notice and little training. That said, reservations will be honored as booked, but no upgrades will be given for CC status.

Judging from my initial room, this property has some disappointing rooms, and if that's where CC standard room bookings will end up, I would consider switching to a different property. For anyone who has Marriott status or has booked a CC premium award, the Business Class rooms are lovely, and quite comparable to what other hotels in Paris sell as junior suites. The club is an extreme letdown; the space is appealing, but the evening happy hour has two sad plates of mini sandwiches, plus a few bottles of cheap liquor, beer and soft drinks; breakfast is very basic continental.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Stayed July 3-5 with no issues. Had a business class room, but they did not mention lounge, breakfast, etc (and we had other plans, so that was not a big deal in any event).

Had booked on CC points and had no issues with them honoring points on the stay. Stayed 2 nights at the Champs Elysee and 2 nights at Ambassador Opera. Champs Elysee was a good location, but teeny tiny rooms (typical for Paris). The rooms at the Ambassador were much larger, and I'm sad to see this become a Marriott.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:29 pm

Unhappy

Just stayed here 6/25 for 2 nights. Requested business room on 7th floor with view of Eiffel tower since we redeeemed premium award for 2 adults and 1 child. Boy was I happy with the room, even though they didn't let us check in until 7pm. Mgr. left message regarding late availability of room but it didn't matter to us since we were getting in late. Room 701 was a junior suite to me. You can't see the bed from the sofa area. It's Larger than normal radisson bus. Room. Was thold it was probably the best bus. room in hotel. You can stand on the balcony and see eiffel tower and the opera, and peak of Notra-dame, arc de triumph, etc. So I'm really disappointed they are not cc any more
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat & IC Amb
Originally Posted by KathinJax

Mine was a different story. I emailed the hotel and was told that I have to cancel through Club Carlson. Since they are not connected with Club Carlson system anymore, they cannot cancel the reservation book through them.

I will give CC a call again soon.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:35 am

I checked into this hotel at 1:00 pm today. I had booked a premium award and was given (what CC called) a business class room. The room I received is nice and spacious.

I was also also given lounge access and breakfast (both of which were part of the premium award).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.