Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

If I ran a Caribbean island tourist board.... (exiting the Caribbean rant)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

...I would address the issue of leaving my island as a top priority.

The vast majority of experiences I have ever had (we are talking over 75) departing an island have been between miserable and hell.

Among the worst: Punta Cana (with queues outside in the sun) and Curacao (where a KLM 747 and AirBerlin 767 leave around the same time as the Miami and NYC flights).

Interminable hours-long immigration and security, particularly in airport facilities with no AC always leave me with a bad taste in my mouth for that destination, lessening the likelihood I will recommend it to others.

MBJ has a half-solution with their Club MoBay pay-to-expedite product. But if I ran a tourist board for an island I would invest like crazy in expediting exit facilities to avoid leaving people leaving my island pissed off. @:-)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by kokonutz
...I would address the issue of leaving my island as a top priority.

The vast majority of experiences I have ever had (we are talking over 75) departing an island have been between miserable and hell.

Among the worst: Punta Cana (with queues outside in the sun) and Curacao (where a KLM 747 and AirBerlin 767 leave around the same time as the Miami and NYC flights).

Interminable hours-long immigration and security, particularly in airport facilities with no AC always leave me with a bad taste in my mouth for that destination, lessening the likelihood I will recommend it to others.

MBJ has a half-solution with their Club MoBay pay-to-expedite product. But if I ran a tourist board for an island I would invest like crazy in expediting exit facilities to avoid leaving people leaving my island pissed off. @:-)
Have you been to PUJ recently? New terminal building, second runway. The new terminal is a modern airport, fully A/C and jetways. Actually pretty pleasant. We usually fly business so there usually isn't much of a wait.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
and yet you have been back 75 times
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Caribbean countries (and airports) have almost no negotiating power with airlines over flight arrival/departure times especially concerning the long haul flights from Europe and Canada. The timing of these flights is often dictated by constraints at the other end. Caribbean airports are desperate for flights, with some of the smaller countries actually paying subsidies to airlines to bring in tourists. As a result, they take the flights whenever they can get them.
--
13F
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
and yet you have been back 75 times
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.