FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico-474/)
-   -   If I ran a Caribbean island tourist board.... (exiting the Caribbean rant) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/caribbean-nearby-atlantic-including-puerto-rico/1756619-if-i-ran-caribbean-island-tourist-board-exiting-caribbean-rant.html)

kokonutz Mar 31, 2016 1:46 pm

If I ran a Caribbean island tourist board.... (exiting the Caribbean rant)

...I would address the issue of leaving my island as a top priority.

The vast majority of experiences I have ever had (we are talking over 75) departing an island have been between miserable and hell.

Among the worst: Punta Cana (with queues outside in the sun) and Curacao (where a KLM 747 and AirBerlin 767 leave around the same time as the Miami and NYC flights).

Interminable hours-long immigration and security, particularly in airport facilities with no AC always leave me with a bad taste in my mouth for that destination, lessening the likelihood I will recommend it to others.

MBJ has a half-solution with their Club MoBay pay-to-expedite product. But if I ran a tourist board for an island I would invest like crazy in expediting exit facilities to avoid leaving people leaving my island pissed off. @:-)

cheltzel Mar 31, 2016 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 26416501)
...I would address the issue of leaving my island as a top priority.

The vast majority of experiences I have ever had (we are talking over 75) departing an island have been between miserable and hell.

Among the worst: Punta Cana (with queues outside in the sun) and Curacao (where a KLM 747 and AirBerlin 767 leave around the same time as the Miami and NYC flights).

Interminable hours-long immigration and security, particularly in airport facilities with no AC always leave me with a bad taste in my mouth for that destination, lessening the likelihood I will recommend it to others.

MBJ has a half-solution with their Club MoBay pay-to-expedite product. But if I ran a tourist board for an island I would invest like crazy in expediting exit facilities to avoid leaving people leaving my island pissed off. @:-)

Have you been to PUJ recently? New terminal building, second runway. The new terminal is a modern airport, fully A/C and jetways. Actually pretty pleasant. We usually fly business so there usually isn't much of a wait.

Penguinmoon Apr 1, 2016 1:25 am

and yet you have been back 75 times:)

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Apr 1, 2016 6:38 am

Caribbean countries (and airports) have almost no negotiating power with airlines over flight arrival/departure times especially concerning the long haul flights from Europe and Canada. The timing of these flights is often dictated by constraints at the other end. Caribbean airports are desperate for flights, with some of the smaller countries actually paying subsidies to airlines to bring in tourists. As a result, they take the flights whenever they can get them.
--
13F

kokonutz Apr 1, 2016 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon (Post 26419130)
and yet you have been back 75 times:)

:) ^