Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SXM - Scooter or Car Rental?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Plat, AA Plat, United Sil, Delta, Hertz PC, National ExecEl
SXM - Scooter or Car Rental?

Hi!
Have a trip to St. Maarten booked for January, just getting it done in advance and wondering if it's better to rent a scooter or a car during my 4 days there?
Will be travelling with one more person, and we plan to sight see, restaurants, beaches etc. across the french and dutch parts of the island.

Heard traffic builds from 4-8 pm, and parking is a nightmare on the island.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Where are you staying? This may influence your decision. I have rented cars multiple times. Downtown Philipsburg is almost always busy and is certainly very crowded whenever there are cruise ships in port. Parking there is always tricky. Just go two-three blocks away from the beach and you will be fine. The other problem areas are around the two lift bridges (Simpson Bay and Marigot), however Simpson Bay is less congested since the new causeway/bridge opened. Parking in Marigot is easy.

You are planning to visit Dutch and French sides. That suggests some longish distances and some good hills for which a scooter may not be the best choice. Also, with a rental car, you will not need a taxi to get back and forth to the airport.
--
13F
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Plat, AA Plat, United Sil, Delta, Hertz PC, National ExecEl
Thanks 13F, I'll be staying around the Orient Beach area.

Yea, it looks like there's a lot of hilly/steep regions and rental cars may be best.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:07 pm

I have been wondering the same thing for my upcoming SXM trip.

I would like to rent a scooter, but have been surprised at the rather high prices. I haven't found one that isn't 2-3 times the price of a car.

Have you found any good rates? I am probably getting a car, as I would need that to/from the airport (or taxi) and on rainy days, etc.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
When we went to SXM, we rented a car. Driving is very easy and we had no issues finding parking anywhere.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:10 pm

Has anybody rented from Fox Rent a car?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:18 pm

I'd advise a car over a scooter in. St. Maarten/St. Martin. One good company is Starlite - it's based at the Belair Beach resort but delivers cars to the airport as well.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

I did book a car with National, have a bunch of free days to burn.
Will post with the experience once am back. Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.