Destinations with more than just beaches

Old Nov 12, 15, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Destinations with more than just beaches

Hi All,

Doing some very preliminary legwork on a late winter/early Spring 2016 vaca to the Carribean. Myself, wife, and children 6 and 3. We do love beach time, snorkeling, etc BUT we also like a diverse experience on a 1 week vacation, including some nice local dining, walking/hiking, a little history, shops/stores, etc.

What islands might be a good fit for us? I am definitely going to look into Puerto Rico. I am thinking Jamaica/Bahamas would probably be out based on our likes (correct me if I am off). Any other thoughts?
I do have a load of Hilton pts to burn, also Carlson would be ok. Flying Delta likely due to pts.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 15, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan View Post
Hi All,

Doing some very preliminary legwork on a late winter/early Spring 2016 vaca to the Carribean. Myself, wife, and children 6 and 3. We do love beach time, snorkeling, etc BUT we also like a diverse experience on a 1 week vacation, including some nice local dining, walking/hiking, a little history, shops/stores, etc.

What islands might be a good fit for us? I am definitely going to look into Puerto Rico. I am thinking Jamaica/Bahamas would probably be out based on our likes (correct me if I am off). Any other thoughts?
I do have a load of Hilton pts to burn, also Carlson would be ok. Flying Delta likely due to pts.

Thanks!

Going to watch this thread, as we are on a quest to find some new destinations. Our kids are 3 & 4.

We've actually been to the Hilton in Montego Bay 4 times now, gotta love point stays! This is an all inclusive property, with a lazy river and 2 water slides - kids love it. BUT, you really are restricted to the property. We've also done Cancun and Aruba. People have mixed feelings about Cancun, but we have always felt Safe, and walk everywhere. Aruba is safe and walkable too.

I've heard good things about Barbados, and they have a Hilton too!
Old Nov 14, 15, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Hilton now has a property in Aruba, having taken over the radsison. Could be an option for you as well.
Old Nov 14, 15, 1:50 pm
Community Director

I liked the W Vieques. There's a good food scene on the island.
Old Nov 14, 15, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I liked the W Vieques. There's a good food scene on the island.

Safe, walkable, kid friendly activities?
Old Nov 14, 15, 1:59 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by d20513 View Post
Safe, walkable, kid friendly activities?
It seemed very safe to me. Walkable? No, restaurants were a fair distance. We rented a car at the hotel. Kid friendly? Not my area of expertise. Scan this thread and ask what isn't answered there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Nov 14, 15, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
I agree with SJU and BGI suggested up-thread, as well as the Hilton in MBJ which is excellent for kids. Yours are just the right ages for the FREE kids club (at least it was free on my two stays). You can also snorkle and do a glass-bottomed boat ride. They have a restaurant at the golf course in case you get tired of the buffet.

One more suggestion, the Hilton in CUR. The property was a bit tired when I was there, but it has a small beach and a pool, and there are other things to do within easy reach.
--
13F
Old Nov 15, 15, 6:26 pm

I've been to both Barbados and Antigua and I think both will be good destinations for you. The beaches are nice on both islands, and there's a bit of culture and kid friendly activities as well . I've been to St. Lucia as well, but I think it may be bit nicer when your children are a bit older.
Old Nov 16, 15, 10:49 am

I'm planning the same type of spring vacation for my family as well (wife and kids ages 15 and 7.) At this point, I've narrowed it down to Puerto Rico and Barbados. I had also considered Curacao, but not finding any decently-priced airfare from my area, so I've all but eliminated that one.

Puerto Rico has the advantage of not needing passports, since all of ours expired last year...so that would save me $400 or so. Then again, we'll eventually need those passports anyway, which is why Barbados is still on the table. Both locations seem to offer nice beaches, good food, culture, history and nature activities. It'll be a tough pick in the end, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one for what you're looking for.

Search this Thread