Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using the 407 with a YYZ rental car?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
... 1. Out of province cars will get billed.
That's what I thought, but I drove my NS-registered car on 407 in June 2009 and I'm still waiting for the bill.

Just on a distantly-related note, those who have Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge transponders can now use them to pay for parking at the Halifax International Airport. And on the Cobequid Pass, if you link the accounts.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC*E50
Sounds about right...

Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
That's what I thought, but I drove my NS-registered car on 407 in June 2009 and I'm still waiting for the bill.
If you read the papers, standard billing practice for the 407ETR is to wait ten years and then bill you retroactively plus a decade of penalties and late fees:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/782889
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:05 pm

[QUOTE=FrequentFlyerYYZ;14449416]In response to some posters:

Out of province cars will get billed. This includes you. If you don't pay, most states/provinces have reciprocal agreements that will cause you trouble at license renewal time.

There is no reciprocal agreement with Ontario and any province or state when it comes to "ownership" type charges, i.e. parking tickets or toll road fees. If you are the registered owner of a car in Ontario and you do not pay Ontario fees then you will go to "Plate Denial" which means you cannot renew your permit and plate. Ontario does not have an agreement to try to collect fees from other jurisdictions. So if you are the owner of a car registered outside of Ontario there is no practical way Ontario or the 407 corporation can collect their fees. Now it is quite possible other jurisdictions have these kind of agreements such as Quebec with Nove Scotia or New York with New Jersey, but certainly not Ontario. With rental cars, it's likely that the rental car company will pay the other jurisdiction's 407 bill, and then bill the customer, however, the other jurisdiction will not try to collect a bill coming from Ontario.

Now for moving type violations, e.g. speeding, disobey a traffic light, impaired driving etc. Ontario currently has reciprocal agreements with all the Canadian provinces and two U.S. states, New York and Michigan. So if you receive a speeding ticket in New York it will show up on your Ontario driving record possibly with demerit points as well.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Don't worry about it, I probably paid the toll for you.

Drove on the 407 a couple of times in the early days and paid the bill for it. Now, about every 24 months, I get a bill in the mail for some random amount (always small, like a $6 total bill), because my car was apparently caught entering/exiting the 407 while I was in, say, Europe.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: Sans souci
Originally Posted by LiquidJ
Don't worry about it, I probably paid the toll for you.
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Cool

Just on a distantly-related note, those who have Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge transponders can now use them to pay for parking at the Halifax International Airport. And on the Cobequid Pass, if you link the accounts.
Good to know. I recently had an Ontario Avis rental that had NS plates. I am fully expecting the $25 + $15 Avis charge for using the 407 last month, but then again I wont miss it if it doesn't come...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:57 pm

So as it turns out, it still is possible to get the "anonymous transponder" without any connection to a specifiic person or vehicle.
http://www.407etr.com/Products/transponders_anonym.htm

You basically have to give a $50 deposit on the transponder and prepay $200 against tolls. When you return the transponder you get the $50 back plus the unused balance on the tolls.

The major negative is that you need to go in person to the 407ETR service center at Steeles and the 427 to organize it. But if you plan to be in Toronto for some time with a rental car and anticipate using the 407, it may be worth doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.