FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Using the 407 with a YYZ rental car? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/716340-using-407-yyz-rental-car.html)

jral Jul 20, 2007 7:17 am

Using the 407 with a YYZ rental car?

How does that work these days? I have a (Alamo) rental later today at YYZ, and if I want to use Hwy 407, do the rental car companies usually charge the renter the toll after the fact?

Is it worth it, or a big ripoff?

FrequentFlyerYYZ Jul 20, 2007 7:33 am

You will get a bill from the rental company in about a month with the actual 407 charge plus a service fee from the company. The 407 charge will likely be in the $10-20 range, and the service fee will probably double the total. Just ask for the fee schedule when you pick up your car.

If you are trying to go to a client meeting, it can easily be worth the extra $$.

Bytepusher Jul 20, 2007 7:36 am

Yes, at least in my experience some weeks after you return the car you will get a letter demanding a the tolls + a substantial handling fee.

I would avoid the 407 in a rental car unless I was going somewhere Northeast of the city is deepest afternoon rush hour.

AnselmAdorne Jul 20, 2007 7:52 am

Just did it Monday in a rental. They have a little placard in the car saying that they will later add the toll and a handling fee to your credit card.

Two things from past experience with my rental company:

- The extra fee takes about three weeks to month to go through; they'll send you a letter telling you they're adding it to your card.

- If you drive a short distance on the 407, such as 427 to 400, they won't bother billing you. I have had this pleasant experience about four times in the last year.

acysb87 Jul 20, 2007 8:44 am

Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne (Post 8089753)

- If you drive a short distance on the 407, such as 427 to 400, they won't bother billing you. I have had this pleasant experience about four times in the last year.

Shhh!;):)

AnselmAdorne Jul 20, 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by acysb87 (Post 8090028)
Shhh!;):)

Oh oh, I hope I haven't killed the golden goose!

ghYHZ Jul 20, 2007 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Bytepusher (Post 8089668)
Yes, at least in my experience some weeks after you return the car you will get a letter demanding a the tolls + a substantial handling fee.

Never received a letter from Hertz or Avis demanding payment. Just a form letter advising me the toll would be charged to my credit along with an administration fee. Can’t remember the exact admin. fee but I recall it certainly seamed reasonable. So go ahead and use the 407 if it provides a better route to your destination. To me the extra cost is well worth it to avoid the 401.

Hertz and Avis have always had a notice in the car showing the fees so it’s no shock.

Perhaps you got a demand letter if the rental was settled with cash and the credit card number was no longer on file.

Rejuvenated Jul 20, 2007 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Bytepusher (Post 8089668)
I would avoid the 407 in a rental car unless I was going somewhere Northeast of the city is deepest afternoon rush hour.

Absolutely. I would not use the 407 without a transporder period!

Rejuvenated Jul 20, 2007 9:45 am

Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne (Post 8090285)

Better edit your post. Just kidding. :D

zlc Jul 20, 2007 1:02 pm

What about a car with a US plate? I normally rent from BUF and drive across the border.

MapleLeaf Jul 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne (Post 8090285)

If you have then I will be sending you the bills that suddenly begin appearing from Hertz. Like you, 9/10 bills for driving the 407 in a rental are not passed along to me.

Bytepusher Jul 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by zlc (Post 8091729)
What about a car with a US plate? I normally rent from BUF and drive across the border.

Doesn't matter, they have billing agreements with most US states.

fromYYZ_flyer Jul 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Do they make you pay the toll fee + ETR's own fee (for not using a transponder) AND an extra "processing fee" from the rental company? IMHO, unless you have a transponder or can justify needing to use the 407 stay off it. Thank god I have a transponder.

BTW: If someone rents a car in TO can they use my transponder or do they cross check licence plate numbers to the transponder code?

Bytepusher Jul 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer (Post 8092413)
BTW: If someone rents a car in TO can they use my transponder or do they cross check licence plate numbers to the transponder code?

As far as I know if a transponder is detected they don't look at the plates, there is a real cost to the OCR process for extracting the plate text from the images so they don't do it unless they really have to.

Bytepusher Jul 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ghYHZ (Post 8090326)
Perhaps you got a demand letter if the rental was settled with cash and the credit card number was no longer on file.

Good point, my experience was some years ago, before I got a transponder.