Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal connection time: separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Montreal connection time: separate tickets

We are coming from India to Doha to Montreal by Qatar Airways, in mid-December; the QR flight is scheduled to land at 1:45 PM. We need to book a separate ticket from Montreal to Miami or FLL or PBI.

When we booked the QR flight, I was initially hoping we could book by American Airlines for YUL-MIA and ask QR for check the bags through to MIA, but since the policy change by OneWorld in June that does not appear to be a feasible option. So it looks like we cannot check the bags through to MIA or FLL or PBI, but have to collect bags in YUL and re-check them for the flight to MIA/FLL/PBI.

We are US citizens, but do not have Global Entry; will be traveling business class on QR (if it makes a difference in how quickly the bags come through).

What is a safe connecting time to book the YUL to MIA/FLL/PBI flight?
Also, does it make any difference in which airline we book the YUL to MIA/FLL/PBI flight?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:36 pm

Give yourself plenty of time

Give yourself plenty of time to go through customs which are hit or miss in Montreal. This summer, there have been times when it took up to 2 hours to go through. Made the news for a couple of weeks...not anymore, so should be better.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
International arrivals is in a completely separate part of the airport from US departures. You'll have to collect your bags, walk a while, re-check your bags, and yes, pre-clear customs in YUL. It can take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour, so definitely don't skimp on the connection time.

If booking separate tickets, I always recommend giving yourself plenty of time in case of IRROPs or delays. Check your travel insurance policy's minimum connection time to cover a misconnect, since neither airline will protect you if you buy separate tickets. (The policy I buy usually specifies a minimum of 4 hours in the fine print. YMMV.)
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
As this isn't Air Canada/Aeroplan related, moved to the Canada forum.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I would say a minimum of 4 hours, but that's assuming you arrive in Montreal on time. You may want to consider next day, and enjoy an evening in Montreal.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: AP 50k
Once you land you go through the following process:

1) Clear Canadian Customs
2) Collect all of your luggage
3) head to the US departures which is the floor above you to the right
4) recheck your bags
5) re-clear security
6) clear US Customs
7) Board Flight

Considering it could take about 2 hours for someone to just finish steps 4-6, you should plan at least that amount, probably 3-4. Anything more is overkill for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.