Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Canada to boost foreign ownership cap in airlines to 49%

Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:27 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
who woulda thought that regulating less could actually open up and create markets that we never thought existed?

there shouldn't be a cap in the first place
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Only for new startups, not AC or WS. (And not even sure about PD, though Deluca will probably try for an exemption.) Since the Americans haven't changed their foreign ownership limits policy, why should we? At the same time, are there really that many foolish foreigners who want to lose money in Canada?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is not AC or AP specific but more a broader Canadian aviation topic it's been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Only for new startups, not AC or WS. (And not even sure about PD, though Deluca will probably try for an exemption.) Since the Americans haven't changed their foreign ownership limits policy, why should we? At the same time, are there really that many foolish foreigners who want to lose money in Canada?
wonderful protectionist attitude.

it is perverted to suggest the limits in the US have prevented competition. the same CAN NOT be said for the limits in Canada that perpetuate lack of competition. your analogy is terribly weak!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
reduce user fees = lower airfares for Canadians

Marc Garneau promised Canadians lower airfares:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ster-says.html

i.e. raising the foreign ownership limit to 49 % was one of the means to achieve this.

Sorry to be cynical, but haven't we heard this promise before?

The fact is its much cheaper to fly out of the US (or anywhere else, for that matter!) than to buy a tix. from a Cdn. point or origin. Why? As the article notes, Canadians pay higher surtaxes and fees than citizens of other countries.

The way to lower airfares in Canada is to reduce user fees. Its that simple.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Marc Garneau promised Canadians lower airfares:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ster-says.html

i.e. raising the foreign ownership limit to 49 % was one of the means to achieve this.

Sorry to be cynical, but haven't we heard this promise before?

The fact is its much cheaper to fly out of the US (or anywhere else, for that matter!) than to buy a tix. from a Cdn. point or origin. Why? As the article notes, Canadians pay higher surtaxes and fees than citizens of other countries.

The way to lower airfares in Canada is to reduce user fees. Its that simple.
Agreed
Lower user/airport fees first
THEN blame the airlines if they don't lower prices accordingly
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:14 pm

I'll take all of the above.

Reducing capital cost is helpful, as are lower airport fees. Those could be achieved by not asking airports to pay a substantial annual rent for the crown land they use.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Another step would be to amend the cabotage laws.

Why can't I buy a YVR-ORD-YYZ ticket on UA? I can buy 2 back-to-backs, why not a ticketed itinerary?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gglave
Another step would be to amend the cabotage laws.

Why can't I buy a YVR-ORD-YYZ ticket on UA? I can buy 2 back-to-backs, why not a ticketed itinerary?
If Canada and the US sign some kind of bilateral trade and investment deal allowing for more free trade/investment cross-borders, then it should be possible and rather good for consumers. If consumers weren't to end up denied travel due to international travel document requirements involving cross-border transit.

But given this week south of the Canadian border, you can bet I don't see such a thing happening in 2017 or for some years to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.