Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YYC: Domestic-transborder connection, Nexus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Have a trip this weekend which involves domestic to transborder at YYC. Have never precleared into the U.S. other than at YVR and YYZ so don't know YYC's setup (airport website is pretty useless and has no transit guide).

With Nexus, would it be easier to exit to landside and re-enter or transit? Flying WS-WS and no checked bags if it makes a difference.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Have a trip this weekend which involves domestic to transborder at YYC. Have never precleared into the U.S. other than at YVR and YYZ so don't know YYC's setup (airport website is pretty useless and has no transit guide).

With Nexus, would it be easier to exit to landside and re-enter or transit? Flying WS-WS and no checked bags if it makes a difference.
Everyone has to go landside (downstairs) then go back upstairs to get to US departures at YYC. If there's a long line behind all the check-in counters don't worry, you can go around all those people and show the security guys your Nexus card and they'll let you through. Walk past the duty-free store and connecting baggage carousel and stick to your far left for the Nexus line. US clearance is pretty quick but then you'll encounter security which has a Nexus line but it means nothing as it mixes you with the rest of the crowd at the end of the line.

There's a sign at the US entrance that says you can't go in before 2hrs prior to your flight but I have found that with Nexus this does not apply.

..and yes, the maps suck.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. Have a 1:45 connection which should be ample time assuming incoming is on time.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Thanks. Have a 1:45 connection which should be ample time assuming incoming is on time.
You're welcome. I should add that there isn't much in that area in regards to restaurants in the US area so if you needed a quick bite I'd grab it before going through Customs and Immigration. If you have priority pass there is a nice lounge though.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a note that there is a bypass in the domestic concourse just before you go downstairs On the left of the stairs) to exit to the departure level. Saves having to go down and then come up again.

3 of 4 GE machines not working. And yes, security was pretty slow and hopeless. Lots of construction in the 20s gate (20-24?).
Old Oct 25, 2023, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Going to be 8 years since I last used this route, but wondering if anything has changed?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:04 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Going to be 8 years since I last used this route, but wondering if anything has changed?
There's a detailed thread: Flying through YYC (security, connections, customs, etc) Sep 2021 onwards
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:33 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I’ll close this and refer members to the more recent thread kindly provided above.

l etoile
sr moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.