Wiki Posts
Search

US-to-US connection at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold

Having trouble finding this scenario documented either with AC or the Pearson website.

Long story short, I am flying DTW-YYZ-EWR AC to UA on Monday. I have about 100mins and have Global Entry, so i'm not so worried about timing.

Do I have to clear both Canadian and US customs in this scenario, or is there a way to stay on the "US side" of Terminal 1?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You'll be dumped into the general international arrival area. From there, you can follow signs for US connections.

CBSA check may not be particularly amused with what you're doing if they happen to ask both where you're coming from and where you're going.

If you have NEXUS, I'd actually suggest clearing into Canada and then going through the GE path, as you won't have to talk to anyone.

Without NEXUS, clearing into Canada could take a while depending on traffic levels.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
You must have purchased this as two separate tickets because my understanding is that UA would not be able to sell you a US to US itinerary with a connection in YYZ.
--
13F
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Relax!

There is no segregation of US and intl arrival at YYZ. You just look for the diversion to US connection/departure, show the CBSA agent your travel document for a quick check and you should be on your way.

To get the map and direction at the airport website use intl arrival and US departure.

US to US transit is not usually done due to it is not a fare that the American airlines are allowed to sell on one single ticket.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
CBSA check may not be particularly amused with what you're doing if they happen to ask both where you're coming from and where you're going.
CBSA shouldn't care about the connection. They shouldn't be any more or less amused than dealing with a pax connecting from international to US.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
You must have purchased this as two separate tickets because my understanding is that UA would not be able to sell you a US to US itinerary with a connection in YYZ.
--
13F
Bingo... Planned travel from DTW-YYZ-ORD for the week and a last minute meeting popped up in EWR. A change to the ticket was pricing to be more than $1700.

Adding a YYZ-EWR-YYZ turn as a day trip ended up being a LOT cheaper.

Thanks everybody for the input. Should be fun either way.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Relax!

There is no segregation of US and intl arrival at YYZ. You just look for the diversion to US connection/departure, show the CBSA agent your travel document for a quick check and you should be on your way.

To get the map and direction at the airport website use intl arrival and US departure.

US to US transit is not usually done due to it is not a fare that the American airlines are allowed to sell on one single ticket.
Won't work that way. OPs boarding pass from YYZ will need a CBP stamp. Obviously since US to US transits aren't not sold, there is no set up for it and the OP will have to re-clear back into the US for that stamp. This is not the same as a INT-INT cnx.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
Relax!

Originally Posted by industry_killer
Won't work that way. OPs boarding pass from YYZ will need a CBP stamp. Obviously since US to US transits aren't not sold, there is no set up for it and the OP will have to re-clear back into the US for that stamp. This is not the same as a INT-INT cnx.
You must be a journalist. I always get mis-quoted by them.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Just made this connection. Confused a few people along the way, but it appears that it is possible to skip CBSA clearance and continue straight to the diversion at the far left of CBSA immigration for F gates to clear US Immigration only.

However ... Since I flew a regional and had to gate check, I had to clear into Canada, grab my bag off the carousel, and then proceed back into the F departures flow and clear into the U.S.

Moral of the story if trying to do this coming off a a CRJ or E145 ... Either check your bag at your origin and have them interline check it onto your continuing ticket, or pack light.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nethead25
Just made this connection. Confused a few people along the way, but it appears that it is possible to skip CBSA clearance and continue straight to the diversion at the far left of CBSA immigration for F gates to clear US Immigration only.

However ... Since I flew a regional and had to gate check, I had to clear into Canada, grab my bag off the carousel, and then proceed back into the F departures flow and clear into the U.S.

Moral of the story if trying to do this coming off a a CRJ or E145 ... Either check your bag at your origin and have them interline check it onto your continuing ticket, or pack light.
The question is would they interline when dealing with two tickets across a border with CBP and CBSA.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:34 pm

Hello All --

Planning to do this in a few weeks (with approx 6 hour buffer, maybe less if I SDC to a later ORD-YYZ flight) with Nexus. I'm assuming I should be okay (even if I enter Canada and then preclear back into the US)?

Planning to do an ORD-YYZ-ORD-ZZZ trip.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.