Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which address for Canada Customs form and date left Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

which address for Canada Customs form and date left Canada

As a Canadian, when I go back to Canada to live permanently, and not just visit, do I write the address in the other country that I had been living at, or the new address in Canada that I will be living at? If it's the latter, what if I don't know the address exactly? Like what if I'm going to be staying with a friend first or at a hotel before getting my own permanent address?

Also, my Canadian son was born outside Canada and has never 'lived' in Canada - he has only visited Canada with me. Should I leave the 'date left Canada' blank and answer the CBSA officer's questions if he/she asks me about it, or write in the particulars of his situation beforehand?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saltspring
As a Canadian, when I go back to Canada to live permanently, and not just visit, do I write the address in the other country that I had been living at, or the new address in Canada that I will be living at? If it's the latter, what if I don't know the address exactly? Like what if I'm going to be staying with a friend first or at a hotel before getting my own permanent address?

Also, my Canadian son was born outside Canada and has never 'lived' in Canada - he has only visited Canada with me. Should I leave the 'date left Canada' blank and answer the CBSA officer's questions if he/she asks me about it, or write in the particulars of his situation beforehand?
I would write in the address where you will be spending your first night in Canada.

For date left Canada for your son I would write the date he was last in Canada, as that would be the date he 'left' Canada, even if he wasn't living there then.

As someone re-entering Canada with lots of 'stuff' (if you are moving furniture, etc) you may want to seek advice on the best way to declare that, as it won't be covered under the paltry duty free allowance. When I moved here I had an exemption, different paperwork, but I was a non-citizen moving here for the first time, not a citizen returning, so don't know the exact details. This might help: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5087-eng.html
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:03 am

That form should be the least of your concerns when you are moving (back) to Canada. Please, do your homework. There is a lot you must know before coming back.

Also, you will have to spend some time at a special customs desk upon arrival. They will stamp your lists of goods (to follow) - you may need those stamped lists when you want to bring your stuff in later on. AFAIK you have unlimited time to do so. I still have stuff in another country, and one day, I may bring it in. Since I put it on my list, I will avoid payment.

There are esspecially arkane rules for motor vehicles, alcohol and probably a myriad of other things. Please do yourself a favour and inform yourself.

If you have done your homework already and I've been preaching to the choir, and those questions about the forms are the only open questions remaining: Congratulations! I really mean that. It is not easy.

As for the forms, I'd go with emma69's advice.

(Also, chose the province of your first residence wisely. It may have implications for health insurance, for carryover of driving licenses, alcohol taxes, and probably various other things.)
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sokolov
That form should be the least of your concerns when you are moving (back) to Canada. Please, do your homework. There is a lot you must know before coming back.

Also, you will have to spend some time at a special customs desk upon arrival. They will stamp your lists of goods (to follow) - you may need those stamped lists when you want to bring your stuff in later on. AFAIK you have unlimited time to do so. I still have stuff in another country, and one day, I may bring it in. Since I put it on my list, I will avoid payment.

There are esspecially arkane rules for motor vehicles, alcohol and probably a myriad of other things. Please do yourself a favour and inform yourself.

If you have done your homework already and I've been preaching to the choir, and those questions about the forms are the only open questions remaining: Congratulations! I really mean that. It is not easy.

As for the forms, I'd go with emma69's advice.

(Also, chose the province of your first residence wisely. It may have implications for health insurance, for carryover of driving licenses, alcohol taxes, and probably various other things.)
sokolov -- sounds like you have been through this, as have I. Your comments are spot-on!

My wife and I were living in Europe just before we returned to Canada. We had a large shipment to follow later (a full container of personal effects, furniture, etc. including a few hundred bottles of wine. The tax treatment of wine/alcoholic beverages varies widely from province to province.

Health coverage is another one. Typically there is a 90 day waiting period. At that time, New Brunswick had a three calendar month waiting period, so be arriving in Canada on June 30th, we were covered by NB medicare on the first of September (third month after returning).

Ruke number one -- tell the CBSA officer you are returning to Canada to live and they will send you to secondary inspection to have the customs forms completed. You will need the form to clear your personal effects arriving later. YOU MUST PREPARE IN ADVANCE A DETAILED INVENTORY OF YOUR SHIPMENT.
--
13F
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Just to add to other posters

The more detailed your list of inventory is, the easier the process.

They can identify issues more quickly. For example, I had "medicine bag" listed only, they wanted to know WHAT prescription medication I was bringing back.

They also want to know WHEN and where you purchased items IF the items are less than 2 years old. Receipts need to be produced if they were purchased less than two years old and of significant value.

If you are going back to Vancouver, when your personal affects arrive in port, they ask you go to CBSA in downtown Vancouver (near the BC Hydro/ VCC buildings) with your list of inventory. When you get your stamp of approval then you can go and pick up the rest of your stuff.

It was an interesting process, paperwork heavy but painless if one follows all the steps.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Health coverage is another one. Typically there is a 90 day waiting period.
Your experience must be more than 4 years old. :-)

"Immigrants/Out of Country Residents moving back to New Brunswick
As of June 17, 2010, immigrants or Canadian residents moving back to New Brunswick are entitled to Medicare coverage from their first day in the province providing they are deemed by the Director to have established permanent residence in the province of New Brunswick. All proper information/documents will be required from Citizenship and Immigration and decisions will still be made on a case by case basis."
http://www.gnb.ca/0394/eligibility-e.asp

So the waiting period is for moving within Canada (where the province/territory you are leaving should still cover you during the waiting period). However, if you move to Canada from abroad, and you do not have health insurance from another Canadian province, there is no waiting period. Nova Scotia has the same rule, but I haven't checked for any and all provinces and territories.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
YOU MUST PREPARE IN ADVANCE A DETAILED INVENTORY OF YOUR SHIPMENT.
Indeed. But, to be nitpicking, there doesn't have to be a shipment (yet). It would be prudent to list all of your belongings you MAY want to bring at some point in time. There is no time limit. However, you can NOT file a list after you have arrive. You MUST file it upon arrival, or hold your peace forever.

The degree of detail required varies. I wrote "x boxes of used books", "collection of wines and spirits, x bottles", "one box of cutlery and dishes, used", each with an estimated value, and they were fine with that. (However, I was unable to bring the alcohol, as that would have required a license from the liquor police (which they said it would cost about $500), and very high import duties (they couldn't predict the exact cost, but said: "you should expect about 3x market value").

As for machines, like a stereo receiver, I listed exact model designations. Yet other machines (such as computers, vehicles, etc.) they also want the serial numbers.

So, in my experience, you don't have to enumerate each pair of used socks. But the higher the value, the more detail is required. The laws and regulations may not make this distinction, however.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by sokolov
Your experience must be more than 4 years old. :-)

"Immigrants/Out of Country Residents moving back to New Brunswick
As of June 17, 2010, immigrants or Canadian residents moving back to New Brunswick are entitled to Medicare coverage from their first day in the province providing they are deemed by the Director to have established permanent residence in the province of New Brunswick. All proper information/documents will be required from Citizenship and Immigration and decisions will still be made on a case by case basis."
http://www.gnb.ca/0394/eligibility-e.asp

So the waiting period is for moving within Canada (where the province/territory you are leaving should still cover you during the waiting period). However, if you move to Canada from abroad, and you do not have health insurance from another Canadian province, there is no waiting period. Nova Scotia has the same rule, but I haven't checked for any and all provinces and territories.
Different province other than NB

Perhaps this is a way that NB encourages immigration into their province.

As for BC, its almost 3 months wait period.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/info...gible.html#who

"New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a wait period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months."
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Different province other than NB

Perhaps this is a way that NB encourages immigration into their province.

As for BC, its almost 3 months wait period.
Which is one reason why I suggested to choose wisely where to take residence first.

NS and PEI have the same rule as NB. Yay for the Maritimes! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.