Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

US Preclearance from Canadian airports; is it worth it??????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Preclearance from Canadian airports; is it worth it??????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Absolutely right. I'd add ORD, DET and JFK as other examples.

Pre-clearance is great. Getting rid of it would strictly limit the options Canadians have to fly to the USA.
I'D also add IAH- stood in a humungous line in December coming back from Jamaica and due to the lineup for customs we missed our flight to YYC
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I learned that its the Airports that want the US here...
The US also wants the US here.

Preclearance provides a large number of benefits to the United States, including: security benefits, as all passengers travelling through pre clearance airports are processed by US officials prior to flight departure; infrastructure savings benefits, as many US airports do not currently have the capacity to process passengers from Canada in their existing terminals/CBP facilities, which would require significant upgrades at significant cost; and efficiency savings for airlines, which would be forced to deplane passengers from Canada at US terminals with CBP, and then likely tow their aircraft to their departure gates in different terminals for ongoing flights.

In addition, if preclearance was scrapped, flights from Canada to various US airports would not be possible, given that they do not have any passenger clearance facilities (DCA and LGA are the two largest of these, but also a number of small destinations such as SYR or ROC). Cutting preclearance would put all of these flights at risk, and thus no doubt have the various congressional delegations from these states up in arms - its unlikely to go anywhere.

In fact, I think that this last point is particularly important. I would imagine that if the United States ever decided to seriously look at cutting the program, Air Canada would restore many of the BEH routes from Toronto to various smaller US centres that it cut over the past year - such as PWN, PVD, DAY, GRR etc etc. to win support from lawmakers for the program.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Why is that? Just means the flights would land in the Intl terminals and require far greater MCT

LOL ..... That's a tough double but the OP did nail it
Or not land at all.

By way of example, all Canadian traffic to WAS would be to IAD (20 minutes to the curb + time at FIS + 45 minutes on a good day to downtown) rather than DCA (10 mins. to downtown).

And, even if there is an international terminal, it is far from clear that there are gates available especially for the smaller aircraft which service many transborder routes.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:58 pm
B1

Pre-clearance makes the flight from Canada a domestic one in the US for the purpose of connections. Traveling via the major hubs without pre-clearance would create huge complications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.