Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

US Preclearance from Canadian airports; is it worth it??????

Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

I had an interesting conversation with a senior officer of Homeland security the other day about the Americans being here in Canada for pre-clearance. Then I thought of that post here on F/T where AC's CEO complained that 5 Million Canadian cross to US border airports to save money.

I learned that its the Airports that want the US here and we pay for this, and I mean all Canadian airport users. I love to know what percentage of operating costs this represents?

The officer also stated for them, disallowing entry is nice as they have no cost as the denied entry passenger stays in Canada! For staff it's a posting where they can then choose a new posting of their choice when they return to the US.

The US does not have Canadian pre- clearance and this is unique as we are the only country that does this. So many kettle flyers simply think this is normal, well I guess it is a its been done as long as I have been alive and I am OLD!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:04 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Ireland, Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda and UAE also have preclearance
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I had an interesting conversation with a senior officer of Homeland security the other day about the Americans being here in Canada for pre-clearance. Then I thought of that post here on F/T where AC's CEO complained that 5 Million Canadian cross to US border airports to save money.

I learned that its the Airports that want the US here and we pay for this, and I mean all Canadian airport users. I love to know what percentage of operating costs this represents?

The officer also stated for them, disallowing entry is nice as they have no cost as the denied entry passenger stays in Canada! For staff it's a posting where they can then choose a new posting of their choice when they return to the US.

The US does not have Canadian pre- clearance and this is unique as we are the only country that does this. So many kettle flyers simply think this is normal, well I guess it is a its been done as long as I have been alive and I am OLD!
I believe Ireland, Bermuda, and a few Caribbean countries offer US pre clearance.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Deleted...complete fail
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
The US does not have Canadian pre- clearance and this is unique as we are the only country that does this.
I don't understand. Do you mean have Canadian pre-clearance in USA? I don't believe anybody does.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do airports pay for this service? I know we pay loads of US inspection fees on our tkts but think those would apply regardless.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
If you have ever gone through Customs and Immigration formalities at MIA, LAX, or HNL during peak periods, yes it is [B]so[/B ]worth it.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
If you have ever gone through Customs and Immigration formalities at MIA, LAX, or HNL during peak periods, yes it is so worth it.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
If you have ever gone through Customs and Immigration formalities at MIA, LAX, or HNL during peak periods, yes it is so worth it.
Absolutely right. I'd add ORD, DET and JFK as other examples.

Pre-clearance is great. Getting rid of it would strictly limit the options Canadians have to fly to the USA.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's post is factually wrong and makes no sense.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC*A
Pre-clearance makes complete sense. It allows for us to bypass notorious security lines while also giving the US the ability to deny people outside of their country.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
If you have Global Entry and Nexus, you will think it is not worth it, for everyone else and their collective experiences state side, yes (the caveat being I am not sure what it costs relative to the US taxes on a TB ticket).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Pre-clearance is great. Getting rid of it would strictly limit the options Canadians have to fly to the USA.
Why is that? Just means the flights would land in the Intl terminals and require far greater MCT

Originally Posted by Often1
OP's post is factually wrong and makes no sense.
LOL ..... That's a tough double but the OP did nail it
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Diamond
I agree that with nexus/global arriving in the USA, the process is just three minutes at the "machine". But if there was no pre-clearance it would also mean having to collect bags and take them to the transfer when also flying domestically after the initial flight? As over the years I have been in 70+ person line ups to leave the baggage area at LAX. It is always nice to avoid that.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:42 pm

dupe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.