Lining up with Americans at US airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lining up with Americans at US airport?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by mabramovich
If you're flying with luggage, is GE that much of an advantage? Don't you have to wait for your bags anyway? Or is it different from Canada in that you get your bags and then go through immigration?
No, you still have to wait for your bags. But, even at a slow airport that would rarely be longer than 30 minutes, whereas the non-US line at LAX/ORD/JFK can easily top 2 hours, so you're still out 90 minutes before anyone else.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If you're flying with luggage, is GE that much of an advantage? Don't you have to wait for your bags anyway? Or is it different from Canada in that you get your bags and then go through immigration?
When I arrived on NZ at LAX behind an Air France A380, I got my bag off the belt before anyone else from my flight even made it to the immigration podium - US or foreign.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:52 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think the biggest problem isn't going to be the CBP agent, but rather the maze dragon that's going to take away your choice to choose between residents / aliens if they are enforcing the passport lines.

I have never seen a CBP agent direct a person over to the other category in all my entries into the USA at airports.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There's also a fast track exit from the baggage area for GE cardholders. Usually the same one used by Crew and Diplomats, so it is worth having and using even if the regular lines are sparse. Once I used the regular line even having GE because it was so short, however by the time the bags came down, there were hundreds of people heading for the exit and I had to line up with them since I didn't have the white GE print out card. Learned my lesson, always use the GE kiosk.

As for Canadian passport holders using the US line, since we don't have to go through the fingerprint/photo process it is informally permitted/tolerated but not official policy. However, if you do have a GE sticker, but there is no GE at the arrival airport (DEN doesn't have GE and there may be a couple of other gateway airports still without it) I've been unofficially told I can use the US line.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by heraclitus
On what basis can a Canadian go into the American line? Canadians aren't Americans.

I've always queued up in the foreigner line and no one has ever told me that I had an option. Believe me, if I could use the American line I wouldn't avoid transiting in US airports like the plague as I currently do.
On the basis that they can and do and it usually works.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Can a NEXUS cardholder use the GE line or does he need something more?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
When Americans land at YVR or YYZ, are they entitled to use Canadian citizen/permanent resident lines?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
Can a NEXUS cardholder use the GE line or does he need something more?
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...vis-1-eng.html
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr..._published.xml

If you have all ten fingerprints on file, you should be able to use GE kiosks. I and many others have used GE. You can read about some experiences in the big NEXUS thread.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
You need more than Nexus and your fingerprints on file to use GE. I applied for mine in Toronto (it took all of 5 minutes), but when I tried to use GE kiosk at ORD, it told me that my passport was not registered. I just walked up to the agent and explained that I had obtained GE (I had the sticker on the back of my passport), so he let me through and told me to follow up with the GE office to see what was wrong. I did so the next morning at ORD, and they told me the folks in Toronto had neglected to scan my passport. So they took care of it and I should be good to go for my ICN-LAX flight next month
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
When Americans land at YVR or YYZ, are they entitled to use Canadian citizen/permanent resident lines?
Yes Americans can use the Canadian line at CBSA YVR YYZ. We welcome everyone to use the same lines whether they are south of us or east/west of us.

We don't alienate in Canada.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Before GE was part of Nexus I was scooted into the US line and there wasn't a problem so I used that without any issue until Nexus granted GE priviledges.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Just a word of caution. A couple of years back at JFK I was directed to the US line with my Canadian passport but after waiting for ~30 mins when I got to the CPB agent he I wasn't allowed to be there sent me to the back of the foreigners line causing me to nearly miss my connecting flight. The whole situation struck me as a bit of a power trip but YMMV.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Do they have a special line for first class passengers?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by fly_yag
Just a word of caution. A couple of years back at JFK I was directed to the US line with my Canadian passport but after waiting for ~30 mins when I got to the CPB agent he I wasn't allowed to be there sent me to the back of the foreigners line causing me to nearly miss my connecting flight. The whole situation struck me as a bit of a power trip but YMMV.
This happened to me in IAH. I went in the US line and was told by the agent to go to the non-US line. After a 45 min wait, the US line was empty so the front of the non-US line was sent over to the US side. Guess what - I was sent to the same agent again. This time he stamped my passport and sent me on my way. Definately a power trip.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
You need more than Nexus and your fingerprints on file to use GE. I applied for mine in Toronto (it took all of 5 minutes), but when I tried to use GE kiosk at ORD, it told me that my passport was not registered. I just walked up to the agent and explained that I had obtained GE (I had the sticker on the back of my passport), so he let me through and told me to follow up with the GE office to see what was wrong. I did so the next morning at ORD, and they told me the folks in Toronto had neglected to scan my passport. So they took care of it and I should be good to go for my ICN-LAX flight next month
I visited the NEXUS office to update my profile for GE even though I had all ten fingerprints on file, just in case. I've read reports of some people who've used GE kiosks with no problem without having to go in.

I guess it depends on each individual case - maybe how diligent the agents were when you first signed up for NEXUS. It's probably best to go in before using GE if you have the chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.